Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    @ Dan, yeah, that too.

Newer SRAM cassettes have lasted much longer than older SRAM and any Shimano stuff for me. Easily offsets the additional cost IMO.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    So, no one knows anything about xd vs micro drive cassette indexing?
    If you are asking if new 12 speed XT/XTR shifter/derailleur is compatible with SRAM cassettes, then all anecdotal evidence suggests that YES they are. Just pick a cassette, match the chain...and be a dick about it

I for one am looking forward to trying XT/XTR on the next build once I figure out which frame to do. While I've had a few XO1 Eagles that have worked well enough, none have been perfect, same goes for anybody in our group. Although chock one up for SRAM and their warranty as I've had many cassettes replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post

I for one am looking forward to trying XT/XTR on the next build
    x2. Shimano has behind the ball for a while, but there's plenty of room for improvement over sram's stuff. Hoping the new xt is actually good.

I've been running X01 Eagle for a few years. It shifts well enough when I have the shop set it up... a bit clunky when I do it. The cassette for the most part seems more durable than the XT M8000 I ran previously, although I did manage to break off 1 tooth from the 50, but SRAM warrantied it.

I am occasionally guilty of horrendous shifts under load uphill, so I am curious to try XTR. But I'm not $1,000 curious (cost of XTR cassette, RD, chain, shifter, microspline freehub, and new chainring). I'd consider it on a complete build, but I build frame up, so no point in that.

I'm alternating between amazed and [facepalm] that Shimano managed to be more resistant to change than a bunch of Germans, then when they finally did change, made it super inaccessible.

New 4 piston XT brakes got reviewed on Pink Bike. End result, meh, SRAM is better and cheaper. What is Shimano doing?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    New 4 piston XT brakes got reviewed on Pink Bike. End result, meh, SRAM is better and cheaper. What is Shimano doing?
    But...but... the new version has more rounded edges!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...ton-brake.html

"The G2 still has a gentler, far more controllable initial bite compared to the XT, but a heavier rider might feel that as less initial power. I've racked up a bunch of 3,000-foot descents on both models and the G2's bite point has been 100-percent consistent during all of them, although I can't say the same about the power - it trails off a touch when you're really leaning on them for extended periods of time. Conversely, the new XTs never blinked in the power department, but the bite point would slowly work its way in during long descents."

Consistent bite point but loses power does not equal "better and cheaper" in my view.

I bought two bikes this year, both came with SRAM Guide brakes. I removed both sets and sold them. One bike got Zee, the other got SLX. I am not a fan of SRAM brakes at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I agree on the meh part, but the SRAMs aren't better, and SLX is basically the same price.

Brake fade is brake fade.

That's it! I'm buying products from whoever brings back white fork legs and white brakes. Black or grey is boring.

For what its worth, i've been running code r's on my trail bike for the past 2 years. Need to over fill them or change pads before they are done cos im cheap and didnt go rsc, but the bleed is simple, and i just change pads at home anyway. They have been rock fucking solid. 10/10 would buy again.

That's it! I'm buying products from whoever brings back white fork legs and white brakes. Black or grey is boring.
    Manitou and Hayes have you covered:

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

220/221.

I am a light weight at about 185 with a pack and like my XTs, easy to service and mineral oil is pretty mild stuff compared to the DOTs. Regular riding buddy is pushing 250 fully loaded he runs Codes and although they get noisy as hell on long descents they don't fade on him much and people tend to give him ROW.

Looks like the new XT and XTR 1x12 stuff has finally started making its way to retailers. I'm curious to see long-term reviews in the coming months. On another note XT 1x11 shit (and lots of Shimano components, including the new 1x12 shit) is an additional 10% off today only on competitive cyclist... which makes most of the older XT, SLX parts ~40% off... prob the cheapest I've seen it from a major retailer.

Speaking of unobtanium why are the 170mm xtr 12 cranks so umpossible

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    They had that fire in their finishing plant (aka paint and polish of high end parts) in Japan.
    The XTR cranks were the most effected sku’s in their line. The got caught up with a mass production of 175s and are still playing catch up with 170s and 165s.
    The majority of 170s and 165s that have been produced went to OEM builders.
    That’s why retailers only seem to have 175s in stock.

Ahhh gotcha. Anyway back to the brand wars: ran code and sram stuff on a demo bike, liked the power of the codes but not the lever feel, also torx?!?!! Really?! F that shit

I got a set from Italy a few weeks ago.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Still running 675. Non-finned sintered pads and a good bleed once a year/pad change. XT rotors. I suppose the lever feel is really variable. Especially having the sintered pads.
    However, they brake harder the hotter they get (to a point, obviously, but that point is at least 1,000 techy feet on a hot day with a heavy rider and then I stop to take a breath and it's fine again), they are super easy and environmentally (and paint) friendly to bleed. Pads could be easier to change.

Grabbing in the shop tells me Srams might "feel" better, so ok sure.

I don't THINK I'm doubling down on a lemon like a Trump supporter, but I'd be willing to be proved wrong.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

So yeah, Sram XD cassette and XT or SLX everything else.
    No longer stuck.

also torx?!?!! Really?! F that shit
    ...and you're going to see more. My new bike yoke dropper is Torx.

On the one hand it does have better anti-cam-out properties than Allen, but on the other, who wants to carry another tool?

At least the industry has only embraced two sizes (so far...)

I kinda wish there was more torx on bikes. 4mm and especially smaller Allen can be so easy to strip.
    Yes, I'm aware you can strip out the hole more easily, which is probably why they don't use it more.
    No longer stuck.

So, I took my Eagle XO1 bike out for a four hour ride yesterday...I was blown away by how sh!tty the braking and (especially) the shifting was compared to the Shimano 12 speed. It felt like going back 10 years in quality.
    It really was that big of a difference...two finger braking at times, and clattery shifting with skips (new chain and cassette). XTR shifts under any load, and is one finger braking ALWAYS.
    Gonna ditch the sram for XT 12.

after a season of disappointing shift quality on the OEM GX that came on my Bronson, I swapped to XT 12spd this week...night and day! I spent over an hour on the weekend trying to get the GX to not shift terribly, new cable, hanger, and 45 minutes of adjustment fiddling to only get it 'okay'....put on the XT on Monday, adjusted limit screws, tightened cable, put on chain, 2 quarter turns on the barrel adjuster, and it's perfect. First ride last night and the first time in months I didn't have have a single, let alone typical multiple, mis-shift. It's absolute bullshit that companies are spec'ing GX garbage on $4000+ bikes, it's SLX level at best, and frankly I'd take SLX over GX in the future. And the two-way multi-release shifters are just so much better than sram's junky ergonomics and functionality.

My next bike will probably have an XTR/AXS mutant drivetrain. XTR cassette and chain, AXS shifter and derailluer.
    Should be sweet.