Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 123
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Imagine where SRAM would be now if it was they who had been trying to tell everyone they will be shifting backwards ?

    Whom but Shimano would be arrogant enough to try it ?

    Twice
    If only they could have used some of that arrogance to tell everyone (well americans and canadians, lots of other countries get it right) that they had their brakes set up backwards.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,794
    we are talking about " Rapid Rise " where the shifting pattern for the rear der is reversed, so when you pulled the trigger it would shift to a lower gear, Shimano tried to do it twice and it failed both times

    if you are talking about swapping brake levers left for right to a motorcycle like standard that is pretty easy to do yourself
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    24
    Yep, I am familiar with Rapid rise, I have a selection of lightly used rapid rise mechs in my parts box that i binned.

    Rapid rise and brake levers sides are very similar. Both rapid rise and right hand front brake are theoretically better, but a rider swapping will likely never make up for the performance lost by losing familiarity, so they fail on the market.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    if you are talking about swapping brake levers left for right to a motorcycle like standard that is pretty easy to do yourself
    When the bro-bras came into the shop and said that they ran their brakes "moto style" we would have a laugh at them. In our shop we called it "scooter style" because on a scooter you have a (rear) brake on the left hand (on both hands actually). Every "moto" I have ever ridden has had a clutch on the left hand. Therefore Scooter Style!
    "Can you bleed that front brake, don't forget its set up scooter style"

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,794
    yeah I tried RR at the demo day and it sucked, I could probably get used to it but then I still have 3 or 4 bikes that are not RR so I would have to get rid of them all and buy more bikes with RR same with reversed brake levers, if you can't sell it to the masses is it really better ?

    next you are going to suggest we should also be driving on the Left side of the road ?


    Back in the day I made my top loader deore shifters into bottom loader by swapping them left for right which put them under the bar, I only had one bike so I got used to it but I think it made the bike unpossible to steal

    gotta have one hand for the clutch and one hand for the gas, I've heard of one hand guys having to run it all on one side

    I did a couple laps with these twin brothers at sunpeaks back in the day, one one them was missing an arm so he had to do it all with one hand and buddy was pretty fucking fast
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-19-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    24
    Rapid rise was fine once you were used to it, until you wanted to rent a bike, ride a road bike etc. i never saw any shops running it on a demo bike, you would pretty much guarantee the rider wouldn’t have fun and thus wouldn’t buy the bike.

    i would tell you to drive on the left if there was any research saying it was better, but no one has come up with even any theoretical advantages for it, let alone real world data saying it is better. Also, switching from driving on the left to driving on the right is much easier than switch between rapid rise and normal shifters.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,794
    Quote Originally Posted by nick_B10 View Post
    Rapid rise was fine once you were used to it, until you wanted to rent a bike, ride a road bike etc. i never saw any shops running it on a demo bike, you would pretty much guarantee the rider wouldn’t have fun and thus wouldn’t buy the bike..
    I agree, so 2004 interbike was the second coming of rapidrise which is where I rode RR on a demo bike and it was confusing

    this would be the same demo bike that other bikestore staff, bikestore owners and bike manufactering product mangers would be riding amongst all the other bike brands, some of those other demo bikes with the new and very competent SRAM X9, in other words all the people making buying decisions for the industry would be riding that demo bike with RR

    is it really any wonder why backwards shifting never really took off the second time either ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-20-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11,706
    Minor rant. Bleeding my XT brakes. WTF is with a 7mm for the nipple? Or a fucking 2.5 MM for the bleed cap?

    Yeah I have them but FFS wouldn't a 3 MM allen and a 6MM wrench work just fine?

    OTOH I built my own bleed kit with a couple of syringes from the Horse store along with 2' of clear hose and a piece of wood for the bleedblock.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    24,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Minor rant. Bleeding my XT brakes. WTF is with a 7mm for the nipple? Or a fucking 2.5 MM for the bleed cap?

    Yeah I have them but FFS wouldn't a 3 MM allen and a 6MM wrench work just fine?

    OTOH I built my own bleed kit with a couple of syringes from the Horse store along with 2' of clear hose and a piece of wood for the bleedblock.



    Hayes used 6mm, they stripped a little too easily, IMO.
    2.5 has kinda become industry standard, unless its torx.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    7,021
    My Maguras had a plastic #1 torx tightened to .5 N. Stripped immediately. I bought a pack of five for replacements.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,978
    I thought someone wrote right before my post that XD was free to license, but that does sound wrong.

    A Shimano 12 speed shifter and derailleur is not compatible with xd Driver and cassette? Are they spaced so differently?

    I like my Shimano brakes. They stop me. Get the metal pads with no fins and XT rotors. They could be more consistent and definitely hold a bleed better, but I don't have to do it more than once a year or pad change and it's super easy. Also, more they're environmentally friendly

    Full SLX 12 speed drive train and brakes (with rt86 rotors) would be an amazing value/performance setup.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,429
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I thought someone wrote right before my post that XD was free to license, but that does sound wrong.
    Pretty sure it's not wrong. I belive XD is still free to license. That's why XD hubs are easy to come by from pretty much every company.

    https://www.xddriverbody.com/apply.php

  13. #88
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That's why XD hubs are easy to come by from pretty much every company.
    So then why are the XD cassettes all so fucking expensive? You would think someone would make one on the less expensive side - you know, competition. But cheapest msrp I could find was GX at $130, eventually found one for around $100. Someone mentioned Sunrace but I've never seen an XD cassette of theirs for less than that. Meanwhile I can still get non XD shimano cassettes for $30, 50, 70 pretty much everywhere.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,429
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    So then why are the XD cassettes all so fucking expensive? You would think someone would make one on the less expensive side - you know, competition. But cheapest msrp I could find was GX at $130, eventually found one for around $100. Someone mentioned Sunrace but I've never seen an XD cassette of theirs for less than that. Meanwhile I can still get non XD shimano cassettes for $30, 50, 70 pretty much everywhere.
    Cassettes for Shimano drivers have been essentially the same for about 40 years. Making the same thing for 4 decades usually generates some costs savings.

    XD is the latest and greatest. If an extra $30 for the latest, greatest tech to put on your $5k bike is a big problem, you might want to consider a different sport.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    So then why are the XD cassettes all so fucking expensive? You would think someone would make one on the less expensive side - you know, competition. But cheapest msrp I could find was GX at $130, eventually found one for around $100. Someone mentioned Sunrace but I've never seen an XD cassette of theirs for less than that. Meanwhile I can still get non XD shimano cassettes for $30, 50, 70 pretty much everywhere.
    The xd sunrace 11 speed 10-46 which was out of stock everywhere for awhile is now available. ~$100 - check universal cycles if interested

    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Cassettes for Shimano drivers have been essentially the same for about 40 years. Making the same thing for 4 decades usually generates some costs savings.

    XD is the latest and greatest. If an extra $30 for the latest, greatest tech to put on your $5k bike is a big problem, you might want to consider a different sport.
    micro spline bro.
    It will be compatible with larger diameter thru-axles, if the industry moves that way down the road.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,429
    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    micro spline bro.
    Microspline XT is $160 though.

    Microspline SLX is $100, but you don't get the full dinner plate cog. It's more of a bread plate.

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,462
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    XD is the latest and greatest. If an extra $30 for the latest, greatest tech to put on your $5k bike is a big problem, you might want to consider a different sport.
    Yeah. While more expensive than SLX, I wouldn't exactly describe a $100-130 GX cassette as "fucking expensive."

    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Microspline XT is $160 though.

    Microspline SLX is $100, but you don't get the full dinner plate cog. It's more of a bread plate.
    OH THE HUMANITEEZ!

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,794
    if they can't afford dinner let them eat bread
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,429
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    if they can't afford dinner let them eat bread
    It's a problem.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    So then why are the XD cassettes all so fucking expensive?
    I think sram's 'machined from one piece' cassettes cost more to manufacture, so they're simply passing the cost through to the consumer.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I think sram's 'machined from one piece' cassettes cost more to manufacture, so they're simply passing the cost through to the consumer.
    From Page 1:

    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Shimano does a really good job of fucking over smaller retailers. They allow big online retailers to sell their stuff at ridiculous prices - sometimes below the wholesale prices that they offer to small shops. An XT group's msrp is actually about the same as GX. It's only cheaper because shimano doesn't enforce any pricing controls.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,794
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Ok then let them eat cake
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,179
    oh, and the thing with Shimano brakes is that they used to be better than they are now. My oldest pair hold a bleed pretty much indefinitely. Even with a dent on one of the reservoirs.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,978
    So, no one knows anything about xd vs micro drive cassette indexing?
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,978
    Bunion, assuming you have the generations of Shimano brakes with the little 1 finger levers, DO NOT OPEN THE LOWER NIPPLE
    After that it's pretty straight forward. And a 2.5mm Allen should be part of a metric set 99.999999% of the time. It's not a bolt you need to reef on.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •