Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ^^^^which can only be a good thing for all of us!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I'll take you up on this, I have a sticky caliper on my wife bike that I out of warranty and won't fix no matter what I try.
    Went through that sticky caliper piston on too many XT brakes. Either the seals or those ceramic pistons suck.

My 12 speed XT miraculously showed up today against all signs showing it wouldn't happen on time.... though the brakes are some reason another week out.

Shimano suffers from complacency at times, anyone that argues this is blind.

Their brakes are cheap because you can order them at dealer cost. I don't consider them a better product but they are pretty simple to setup. I am hoping the new brakes have solved the inconsistent lever throw problem that all past Shimano's have.

I really wish someone would make a trouble free mountain bike brake, they all suck for some reason or another at this point.

In conclusion: not fully fucked yet.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    But are any of us actually really good at riding bikes? haha.
    Certainly not me. I mean, I don't suck, but compared to the guys who are actually good, I suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Certainly not me. I mean, I don't suck, but compared to the guys who are actually good, I suck.
    But think of how much better you'd be with an affordable yet functional drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Ain’t that the truth with just about everything in this life...(except all of the things I suck at)

Our brakes wouldn't suck if they weren't just miniaturized motorcycle brakes. Make them smaller and lighter and now they aren't stronger. Same with the pads, they don't last for a season.

The brembos on my motos are fucking bomb proof. A little fade during hard races but otherwise great. Keep them clean and just ride.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And for the record, XT brakes suck. No modulation and they don't hold a good bleed.

I'll take an occasional warranty issue with Sram over everyday shittyness with XT's, no question.
    This.

Shimano's been off the back on drivetrains for years, ever since X9 came out, IMO. The shifter ergonomics and click feel are terrible to me. The clamps, pods, and brake levers are awkwardly incompatibility even with their own shit. The gear ratios have been way behind and the derailleurs are finicky and fragile IME. The new stuff may be sweet IF it actually ships, IF it works, and IF it holds up. Based on the 12 speed rollout, those are big IFs. No one wants Shimano system wheels or hubs and the licencing fiasco with the freehub is a joke.

The two piston XT brakes are great for the weekend warrior because they were they're cheap, powerful, and easy to set up. If you actually put big miles and long steep descents on them, they quickly showed their weaknesses. When they came out I never liked the lack of free-throw adjustment and I fried a set in two months, went to XO trails, amazing brakes.

Fast forward, I'm sure the new four piston XTs are good and powerful ala Saint and Zee. The lack of modulation isn't the end of the world but it's not great. The continued lack of meaningful free-throw adjustment and wandering bite point is a deal breaker for me though. Granted, guides have had their issues and aren't powerful enough for me but Codes are damn near perfection.

Really the only issue with Eagle is the price. But the longevity is pretty good. I'm getting 2000+ miles out of a cassette with regular chain changes. Got 3000 out of my first XO 11 speed. I'm not making the power I used to but my current XO Eagle chain is pushing 1000 miles and still measures within spec, barely but still, that's insane. Shifting is pretty bomber, improved over gen. 1 Eagle. The derailleurs take an insane beating without fuss. No brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    XD is free to use now?

Also, can you not use an XD cassette with XT stuff like in the old days of Sram and Shimano being somewhat interoperable? I know the XT cassette is 1 louder, but I feel like there's lots of options on that front.
    WTF wat?
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yup. And we can only hope it'll force Sram to respond with improvements to the Eagle groups.
    I broke an eagle chain twice in two consecutive rides...both with my kids. It is currently in the shop for a diagnosis but nobody can see what is wrong.

Besides that, what sort of improvements are you talking about?

Dang you guys are really making me regret my $350 1x11 XT groupset purchase... oh wait never mind. It works great, is cheap, light and will piss off all the Sram fan boys! Win!

Dang you guys are really making me regret my $350 1x11 XT groupset purchase... oh wait never mind. It works great, is cheap, light and will piss off all the Sram fan boys! Win!
    Here's the thing... that's cheap enough to replace more often without wanting to hang yourself when the credit card bill shows up. At a certain point, no matter how nice certain components are, they're going to wear down, so if anything let's just be happy that these two companies aren't just mirror images of one another - that would be far worse IMO.

Having said that, I currently use SRAM 1x11 shifters and derailleurs with a cheaper Shimano cassette... kind of the best of both worlds, at least for me, since the cassette needs to be replaced far more often than the other stuff and I'm more willing to do it as soon as it's needed.

new bike has sram gx 12 speed, so terrible compared to my 2+ year old XT 11spd, shifter ergonomics and functionality are terrible compared to shimano 2way mutli release, and the gx clanks and clunks through shifts and requires a lot of adjusting every couple rides. I can ride months without having to touch the xt stuff. Looking forward to an upgrade to 12 spd xt, personally. sram is so overrated, imo.

Would actually love a proper wide range 1 x 9 or 10 spd drivetrain (Better shifting, less chain wear, lighter). Those 12spd cassettes are getting out of hand. If I actually needed 12spds, I'd just stick with a double.

I have heard lots of bad things about the NX and GX 12 speeds. I personally had no real issues with my 1x11 NX groupset that came with my bike. It got 2.5 years of solid riding. It never felt very crisp and is heavy-ish, and I'm sure the enduro bro's were laughing at my lowly-NX build, but it worked. I haven't been on Shimano since my old bike which had SLX, which also worked well. For the price I figure XT would be a lighter and overall nice upgrade from NX, at the cost of a decent Sram Cassette. I do prefer Sram brakes and currently run the Guide RS, I like the squishy modulation vs the on/off of Shimano, but that's just preference. I have warrantied my Sram brakes due to failure, but they were quick to replace thru my LBS.

Otherwise, honestly, it's all the fuckin' same. Bike have so many moving parts and if you ride a lot you will have to replace, service, deal with problems no matter what your running.

I think also think 12 speed is overrated. It's just the new thing everyone needs to have. I get it. New tech is cool. But it doesn't make you do anything you couldn't do before, that's why you get an e-bike.

I don’t know anyone who would get pissed off about any of this, do you? Sounds like you want to piss people off for whatever reason. That’s on you.

If you love your XT 11, that’s great, cheers. I enjoy the increased range of my Eagle stuff. And I like the shifter ergonomics better. That seems like more a matter of personal preference and what you’re used to. The brakes, yeah I like those better too but again, personal preference.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Ha, just going along with the vibe of the thread. Sounds like some people are angry at Shimano. Just a little playing around. But actually now that I think about it, it's kind of what we are doing right now. Not getting pissed, but saying what's better and who's a better company, etc...

And I haven't even tried the XT shit yet, it's still in the packaging. Going on when I get a chance this weekend. I'm sure the Eagle stuff is awesome. I just didn't feel like spending that much right now, but I'm definitley not saying it's trash. I think both companies put out good products.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post

Besides that, what sort of improvements are you talking about?
    -The eagle derailleurs stick out from the bike a lot more than shimanos, and thus are more prone to damage.

- the derailleur design puts a lot of force on the b-set screw. I've had them shear the b-set tabs off of the hanger.

- related to the above issue, the derailleurs like to rattle loose, especially on frames with pivots near the dropout.

- also related, shifting in the lowest 2 gears is super dependent on a precise b-set adjustment.

- there's a bunch of minor conflict issues on the cassettes. Basically, some of the shift ramps conflict with the chain in certain gears, especially when things aren't brand new and perfectly clean.

There are other issues that certain group sets have, both the above issues come up in every eagle drivetrain.

“Pick a drivetrain, and be a dick about it!”

I rode an old stump jumper hardtail from 2001 the other day. It was a reminder that everything out there now regardless of the company is awesome. More expensive for sure, but let’s maintain some perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    “Pick a drivetrain, and be a dick about it!”
    I rode an old stump jumper hardtail from 2001 the other day. It was a reminder that everything out there now regardless of the company is awesome. More expensive for sure, but let’s maintain some perspective.
    Exactly, just fucking ride.

Shimano stuff is fucking great especially for the price, even with the Europe online stuff locked down (eBay still works for now). SRAM is a joke in terms of pricing in Canada at least and my god are those brakes bad. New bike came with Guide RSC, immediately ordered 4 piston XT 8020 on sale and should come out ahead on $$ once RSC sells as take offs. XTR 9000 drivetrain with e13 9-46 cassette and will switch to XT 8100 when it wears it.

Made money selling X1 11spd drivetrain off last bike switching to XT 8000 which was flawless for 2 years I ran it.

No denying the range and weight of Eagle X01/XX1 but glad to see Shimano finally come with an answer that will also hopefully mean less fucking RockShox spec on every build.

Remember when we liked Shimano brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I think you are confusing FSA with Truvativ

It's a mater of perspective of course, but we are talking lost battles vs. lost wars...
    Shimano's (overall) global market share has never been in danger.

FWIW, I prefer SRAM drivetrain over Shimano.
    Don't get me started on "Rapid Demise"...

yeah it was a awhile ago /possibly drunk posting so I got the names mixed up, Shimano fucked up/lost a big battle but not the war and SRAM did a great job which really allowed them to come on strong and gain market share ... a perfect storm

Imagine where SRAM would be now if it was they who had been trying to tell everyone they will be shifting backwards ?

Whom but Shimano would be arrogant enough to try it ?

Twice

Obviously Shimano has recovered, I would buy either today in other words I would likely buy it on whatever new bike it was spec'd on , I did buy a bike with Shimano and i'm happy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I liked my old Hayes whatevers a while back, and would switch if they actually are better.
    The 1st gen of hydralic hayes were shit especialy the purple ones ( Hayes 9's ?) I must have kacked 3 hoses to the point I used to take spare hose & bleed kit on bike trips which i haven't done with the following generations of hydralic disc and the hayes were not that strong, IME at the time the avid BB7's ( a cable operated disc brake ) were stronger and completely trouble free
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-19-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Remember when we liked Shimano brakes?
    Yeah, but that was today.