Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    XD is free to use now?

Also, can you not use an XD cassette with XT stuff like in the old days of Sram and Shimano being somewhat interoperable? I know the XT cassette is 1 louder, but I feel like there's lots of options on that front.
    Wow, there is SO much wrong with this post.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Also, can you not use an XD cassette with XT stuff like in the old days of Sram and Shimano being somewhat interoperable? I know the XT cassette is 1 louder, but I feel like there's lots of options on that front.
    No

the second time Shimano tried to bring back rapid rise was the year I went to interbike in 04 and thats when i seen SRAM make the big inroads,

SRAM had just aquired FSA, Roxshox, Avid, they gave great product seminars where they gave away sachs 971 chains to anyone who attended, the guy running the FSA booth made a great caesar, they had those " Control your ride " girls in the red wigs & hot pants who gave out fake control your ride tattoos and entered you into the draw for a Reba fork which i won ... so i was pretty stoked on SRAM !

while Shimano was just telling everyone that next year they will be shifting backwards, Shimano's big bad idea seemed to dovetail with SRAM's big marketing push at interbike and so the next season it looked like a lot of the bike makers had went with Sram, my Prophet which i bought as a result of several test rides had X9 /avid juicy and it was good

I think shimano really got their cocks stuck in their zippers with rapidrise, I think corporate BS dictates a lot of what goes on in any corporation and Shimano is no different

the current hub incompatibility of my 1x11 to their new 1x12 is probably the latest silly idea
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

are you sure? what would be the problem with just using an eagle cassette with a shimano 12s shifter and RD?

But, yeah, who cares. Shimano has been way behind for awhile now. Like the grx RD will only handle an 11-34 cassette or something. My apex 1 RD was like $80 and will do 10-42.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I’ve said it before...my new XTR stuff is flat out amazing. Just rode my Eagle XO1 bike this weekend...the shifting felt like cheap garbage under load.
    Shimano has its distribution issues, but the product is basically flawless.
    And that goes for the new brakes as well.
    I picked up a new XT 12 speed group set and I love the way it shifts but I've had to warranty the cassette (1 bad gear) and the cranks (literally fell apart on a ride). So the product isn't flawless but the inconveniences I've been dealing with I'm chalking up to being an early adopter aka beta tester. But the new XT brakes have been working flawlessly so far (knock on wood).

pretty sure you can't just put a shimano 1x12 cog on my current shimano 1x11 hub cuz they changed things up ?

From what I seen Shimano got their asses kicked, i was a huge Sram fanboy for a long time but I think Shimano has clawed their way back cuz the stuff on my latest bike is pretty nice so IMO its good to have that competition which keeps Shimano honest, Sram is probably why we haven't seen any more noise about rapidrise, Shimano even engineered their shifter to either be trigger or push-a-button a-la Sram

this is probably the 1st pissed off at shimano thread eva
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

And for the record, XT brakes suck. No modulation and they don't hold a good bleed.

I'll take an occasional warranty issue with Sram over everyday shittyness with XT's, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And for the record, XT brakes suck. No modulation and they don't hold a good bleed.

I'll take an occasional warranty issue with Sram over everyday shittyness with XT's, no question.
    I recently switched from XTs (2018, 2-pot flavor) to Hayes Dominion A4s. Safe to say I don't miss the XTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I recently switched from XTs (2018, 2-pot flavor) to Hayes Dominion A4s. Safe to say I don't miss the XTs.
    Yeah, I keep hearing good things about those. I need to try them. Hopefully Hayes claws their way back into the market - it'd be nice to have a viable option other than Sram or Shimano.

That goes for pretty much all componentry. Sram's stuff is fragile and doesn't work that well. Shimano's stuff is fucked for all the reasons discussed in here. It sure seams like there's room in the market for another competent drivetrain manufacturer.

Agreed.

Shimano shifting feel sucks IMO. Clunky garbage. SRAM is all snick snick keep hammering. Shimano mtn chains suck also.

People who love shimano are still probably riding the grey stuff from 15 years ago.

Fastfred was the only person in the world who liked the mtn shifter/brake lever combo. What a fucking disaster that was.

It sure seams like there's room in the market for another competent drivetrain manufacturer.
    FSA is trying. BOX is an option also.

Without OEM purchases they can't get traction. SRAM is destroying Shimano in the mtn market because of it. SCOTT was trying to hold on for a while but even they went to 1x12 on most bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post

Without OEM purchases they can't get traction. SRAM is destroying Shimano in the mtn market because of it. SCOTT was trying to hold on for a while but even they went to 1x12 on most bikes.
    Yeah, the FSA and Box stuff is interesting. I've played with those a bit, but not enough to form any real opinions on whether either of those are viable contenders. It also seems like a company like Sunrace could make a run at it, but they seem pretty happy staying in their (low end) lane. TRP is another one who keeps hinting at offering a drivetrain - Gwin's been racing on it.

I'm just not sure any of those companies have the manufacturing capabilities to meet OEM quantities. It's a big jump to go from selling maybe 1000 units where there's no real ramification for late delivery, to 10's of thousands of units where they'd better fucking be ready to get bolted onto next years bikes by October or whatever.

re: Dominion A4 v. XT My quick googling shows the A4's are, (more than), twice as expensive. Are they twice as good?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

No they sell at 1/200th of the retailers. It isn't about how much better they are. Did anyone here actually take economics on their way to becoming dentists?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    SRAM had just aquired FSA, Roxshox, Avid,
    I think you are confusing FSA with Truvativ

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    From what I seen Shimano got their asses kicked,
    It's a mater of perspective of course, but we are talking lost battles vs. lost wars...
    Shimano's (overall) global market share has never been in danger.

FWIW, I prefer SRAM drivetrain over Shimano.
    Don't get me started on "Rapid Demise"...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Magura Trail Carbons here, same end result...

Mine modulated fine, but damn holding a good bleed, WTF?
    Every time the bike went into any sort of vertical hitch rack, I was reminded the instant it came off with the lever going straight to the bar.

I guess that was directed at me. I did take econ 260 along with my biology courses, but that was a long time ago, so the A4's weren't out yet. I liked my old Hayes whatevers a while back, and would switch if they actually are better.

Yeah, I keep hearing good things about those. I need to try them. Hopefully Hayes claws their way back into the market - it'd be nice to have a viable option other than Sram or Shimano.
    I can't compare them to Hope/Magura/Codes/etc., and I got them for, um, significantly less than retail, so take my endorsement for FWIW. But, One(+)Sentence (who's a mechanic at Go Ride) has said really good things about them here, and Hayes' head mechanic told me he wouldn't run anything else given the choice. Great bleed procedure, too. Hayes is definitely pushing hard to be a top-tier company again.

if anyone wants a m785 caliper and real short front brake line i can send you one. brand new.
    edit: free, you just cover shipping

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Some of the new Microshift stuff looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    re: Dominion A4 v. XT My quick googling shows the A4's are, (more than), twice as expensive. Are they twice as good?
    I'd say they're pretty damn close to twice as good. They come with an extra set of pads, so factor that into the price. Also, AFAIK Hayes doesn't make any silly bullshit like finned pads and IceTech rotors.

That hasn't been my experience at all.

But are any of us actually really good at riding bikes? haha.

I had some gripes w/ Shimano in the old days, so I tried Magura, Hayes, and Avid Juicy, and now fuckit, I'm back to XT. They're so cheap and decent, (and pretty fucking light), that if I don't want to waste time bleeding, I could just make 2 clicks and $90 later I get a new one. I actually enjoy working on bikes and cars and skis, etc, so I do the work, but being a dentist and all it actually doesn't make economic sense.

No they are not permafucked, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    if anyone wants a m785 caliper and real short front brake line i can send you one. brand new.
    edit: free, you just cover shipping
    I'll take you up on this, I have a sticky caliper on my wife bike that I out of warranty and won't fix no matter what I try.

I would bet we will see a TON of Shimano XT and SLX 12 speed on 2020 OEM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I would bet we will see a TON of Shimano XT and SLX 12 speed on 2020 OEM.
    Yup. And we can only hope it'll force Sram to respond with improvements to the Eagle groups.