Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Do You Like The Greatful Dead?

They have some pretty catchy tunes. My wife loves them. I can definitely tolerate them much more than that Phish crap she listens to.

The Who?

They’re nothing more than Talking Heads.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

More than any other band, The DEAD talk about my generation, keep me comfortably numb, dazed and confused, make me feel like a freebird, rock my casbah, and keep me trucking 24 hours at a time. It doesn't matter whether it is life during wartime, rock n roll high school, or just building a jigsaw puzzle, Gerry and the boys' music is as smooth as a willy's in 4wd
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Yes. Keep listening; learn to love them; your wife will reward you I'm sure.

They are playing great this summer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190625_202312.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	700.3 KB 
ID:	288673
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    They are playing great this summer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190625_202312.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	700.3 KB 
ID:	288673
    Yes sir they are; Mayer learned a couple new tunes also. I heard, if there is a fall tour, Phil may join a show or two.

^^^ Oh right, that Dead Cover Band, they are damn near as good as Dark Star Orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    ^^^ Oh right, that Dead Cover Band, they are damn near as good as Dark Star Orchestra.
    lol - i have to agree

I assume The Greatful Dead the OP is referring to is a cover band that does Grateful Dead songs.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    They have some pretty catchy tunes. My wife loves them. I can definitely tolerate them much more than that Phish crap she listens to.
    Good lord, you're a terrible troll. Misspelling the band name, saying Phish is crap. You can do better. Or maybe you ca'nt.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    Gonna twist your mind a bit.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Weak weak troll.

I don't always go see Grateful Dead music performed live, but when I do, it's Joe Russo's Almost Dead. Good god, that man can play the drums.

Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Every song, and this applies even more to Phish, sounds the same. Decent sounding song all in all, but a little variety would be nice. This is no knock on their talent or success, which I respect. I actually like this latest version better with Mayer, which brings a more aggressive bluesy influence during solos when he gets rolling.

At least they aren't Michael Franti for example, where every song sounds the same and also sucks, but he is not really close to their league.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Every song, and this applies even more to Phish, sounds the same. Decent sounding song all in all, but a little variety would be nice. This is no knock on their talent or success, which I respect. I actually like this latest version better with Mayer, which brings a more aggressive bluesy influence during solos when he gets rolling.

At least they aren't Michael Franti for example, where every song sounds the same and also sucks, but he is not really close to their league.
    I think this criticism can be applied to any band you don't like. I feel this way about a lot of other bands, but I recognize that the people that like those bands can hear and appreciate the difference between the songs. It's not that GD and Phish songs sound the same, it's that you don't really like them so you're not making the effort to hear the distinctions. We all do it.

I once put an album of Soulive (great acid jazz/funk trio) on while driving with a work associate, and after a few songs he said it all sounded like elevator music to him. I almost kicked him out of the car.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Never heard of them.
    Are they new?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I think this criticism can be applied to any band you don't like. I feel this way about a lot of other bands, but I recognize that the people that like those bands can hear and appreciate the difference between the songs. It's not that GD and Phish songs sound the same, it's that you don't really like them so you're not making the effort to hear the distinctions. We all do it.

I once put an album of Soulive (great acid jazz/funk trio) on while driving with a work associate, and after a few songs he said it all sounded like elevator music to him. I almost kicked him out of the car.
    I think most people can make the difference between a band having no variety vs. their general distaste for a genre. AC/DC has put out like 12 albums that sound the same as Back in Black but people don't hate rock music as a whole because of this.

In that sense, I think the Dead at least went through distinct phases in terms of their sound, it was just one of them that proved the most popular and they stuck to for the most part thereafter, which continues today. Phish on the other hand has been putting out the exact same sound their entire existence.

Soulive is pretty rad. I got a couple of their cds (after first liking Moon Boot Lover) and saw em back in college. Elevator music is not how I would describe them that's for sure.
    Live Free or Die

Musk: tests show ‘monkey can control computer with its brain’

Elon Musk's Neuralink unveils effort to build implant that can read your mind.

Startup plans to use small ‘threads’ to detect neuron activity.
    Mmmmmm.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Good lord, you're a terrible troll. Misspelling the band name, saying Phish is crap. You can do better. Or maybe you ca'nt.
    Wrong forum too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Too much of everything is just enough
    One more thing I just got to say
    I need a miracle every day

-Barlow/Weir
    They're alright.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Every song, and this applies even more to Phish, sounds the same..
    Ive seen Phish play Strawberry Letter 23, Rocky Top, Killing in the Name Of and O Holy Night. They played 13 nights at MSG and didn't repeat one song.

https://youtu.be/-ItwERSVTSM?t=297
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I am paraphrasing what someone posted here a while back, but IMO, 50-100 years from now Grateful Dead songs will still be standards in the great American songbook, whereas 25 years from now only a few nerds will even remember Phish.
    Totally different league of songwriting/craftsmanship.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Adironrider exhibiting complete cluelessness in the music arena too.
    Surprising.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.