Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,673

    10lbs 11-840mm mirrorless backpacking setup

    10lbs kit weight for backpacking
    11-840mm coverage
    1:3 Macro
    f/2 for Astro

    Canon M50

    Canon 11-22mm IS f/4-5.6
    Canon 18-150mm IS f/3.5-6.3
    Tamron 150-600mm IS f/4.5-6.3 G2
    Canon 22mm f/2

    Canon EF mount converter
    Canon 1.4x II TC
    Siriu CF Tripod with ballhead
    2 extra batteries
    55mm Polarizer

    Obviously there is a huge emphasis on birds and wildlife because half of the weight is the 150-600, EF converter, and 1.4 TC.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,908
    The M50 and 11-22 is a killer combination, one of my favorites. That lens is super sharp, and it's tiny.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,673
    Still getting used to this Tamron monster. I like it. Although sometimes I wonder if I'd have been better off with the Canon 100-400mm L II IS f/4.5-5.6, similar IQ, save a pound of weight, lose some long reach, and costs 50% more than the Tamron.

    For a 10 day backpacking trip in Patagonia, I carried:

    7.5lbs
    11-300mm coverage
    1:3 Macro
    f/1.4 for Astro

    Canon M50

    Canon 11-22mm IS f/4-5.6
    Canon 17-55mm IS f/2.8
    Canon 70-300mm IS f/4-5.6
    Canon 32mm f/1.4

    Canon EF mount converter
    Siriu CF Tripod with ballhead
    2 extra batteries + solar battery bank
    55mm + 58mm + 77mm Polarizers

    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The M50 and 11-22 is a killer combination, one of my favorites. That lens is super sharp, and it's tiny.
    Indeed... and it's a decent macro with 1:3.3 reproduction ratios (although at 2" min it's a lighting challenge for sure).

    Love the 11-22mm and I don't really miss the 10mm of the 10-22mm it replaced. I do sometimes think about the Laowa EFM 9mm 2.8 for ultrawide, but then I usually think I'd rather buy a Rokinon EFM 12mm f/2 for astro.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,908
    I used the Sigma 100-400 for a little while on the M5 and it worked really well. It always felt kind of awkward with such a big lens on a tiny body.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,673
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I used the Sigma 100-400 for a little while on the M5 and it worked really well. It always felt kind of awkward with such a big lens on a tiny body.
    Re-dic-ul-ous (adj.) M50 mounted with EF converter + 2x TC + Tamron 150-600 fully zoomed with lens hood.

    It's 20in of tube mounted on <2in of camera. I have to be conscientious not to try and support the lens with the camera. I'm sure the mount is strong enough, but the grip is insufficient and I hit buttons! I might get a battery grip and a red dot finder for the hot shoe because trying to acquire moving targets at 600mm on a 1.6x body is... challenging.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Middle of the NEK
    Posts
    4,513
    That Tamron 150-600mm has me curious. I've been thinking about what kind of setup I want to have ready for the 2024 solar eclipse. This lens combined with my 2x TC would be a great setup to get out around 1200mm (probably only go to 1000mm as the lens is reported to get soft at the 600mm FL). The 400mm I get out of my 70-200 w/2x TC just isn't far enough. Photos of the sun require a serious crop to get in close. Here is a photo I took last week at 400mm.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smokey Sunset no crop-4950.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	618.9 KB 
ID:	288843

    Cropping the shit out of it works but you can only blow it up so large if printing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smokey Sunset Crop-4950.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	633.7 KB 
ID:	288844
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Re-dic-ul-ous (adj.) M50 mounted with EF converter + 2x TC + Tamron 150-600 fully zoomed with lens hood.

    It's 20in of tube mounted on <2in of camera. I have to be conscientious not to try and support the lens with the camera. I'm sure the mount is strong enough, but the grip is insufficient and I hit buttons! I might get a battery grip and a red dot finder for the hot shoe because trying to acquire moving targets at 600mm on a 1.6x body is... challenging.
    Pics or it didn't happen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •