WTB: Climbing Harness

Bouldering is getting old. Kind of broke right now, looking for a cheap harness that won’t kill me. My waist is 30-32”

What you got?

Buy a new one, they're not that expensive. You don't know the history of a used harness, or a used rope. Either one fails and you're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Buy a new one, they're not that expensive. You don't know the history of a used harness, or a used rope. Either one fails and you're dead.
    This.

^^^ double this ^^^

Just ask Todd Skinner's friends/family.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

If I were going to buy a used harness this would be where I would do it. People here are generally straightforward about the condition of their gear. But that’s a big if.

I've got a 2016 BD Couloir I no longer need, the orange version prior to the current blue one. https://weighmyrack.com/Harness/Black-Diamond-Couloir Carried in my ski vest / pack in it's bag a bunch of times (for lift evac), but never used. It's an ultralight alpinist / ski touring harness though, not something you'd want to hang in for a long time. $35 shipped.

Bought a BD climbing harness (will have to check the model) about eight years ago that's still new in the package, but it's been in an upstairs storage area that gets hot during summers. Inside a storage box, so zero UV exposure. Maybe ask BD if eight years and summer heat cycles affects webbing or not. Some posts on Mountain Project say nylon isn't affected until 350 degrees F., so it's probably fine. Free if you buy the Couloir harness, clearly I don't need it.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 07-16-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I've got a 2016 BD Couloir I no longer need, the orange version prior to the current blue one. https://weighmyrack.com/Harness/Black-Diamond-Couloir Carried in my ski vest / pack in it's bag a bunch of times (for lift evac), but never used. It's an ultralight alpinist / ski touring harness though, not something you'd want to hang in for a long time. $35 shipped.

Bought a BD climbing harness (will have to check the model) about eight years ago that's still new in the package, but it's been in an upstairs storage area that gets hot during summers. Inside a storage box, so zero UV exposure. Maybe ask BD if eight years and summer heat cycles affects webbing or not. Some posts on Mountain Project say nylon isn't affected until 350 degrees F., so it's probably fine. Free if you buy the Couloir harness, clearly I don't need it.
    I’ll get in line for the BD harness if the OP isn’t interested. What size is it?

Since this has evolved into a discussion on harness safety: recently harness manufacturers have stated that ten years is the lifetime of a harness. This is unused and stored properly and isn't some arbitrarily measured thing like number of falls on a rope. Their recommendation goes down to replacing your harness every year if you use it every day. There should be a date of manufacture on a tag by the buckle.

If your harness doesn't have a tag or, a better aging check, if it doubles back get a new harness.

Your life is worth much more and relatively speaking harnesses are pretty cheap.

STP has a CAMP Flint harness for $31 with discount code. My kids have CAMP brand harnesses which have proven to be durable and comfortable.

Let me know if you need a discount code.

Pretty much everyone makes a $50 or cheaper harness. Try a few on and pick what fits best. Any of them will work. Not the best idea to buy used harnesses especially if you're new and buying from strangers.

As someone who used a BD couloir as my primary ice harness for a season, I promise you will regret using one as an every day harness.
    It sucks to suck.

Appreciate the words of wisdom. Was thinking someone on here would have a new one they haven’t used, kind of like the new pair of skis I haven’t mounted for 2 years. But you guys aren’t wrong.

Comfort is important, jerlane you’ve got the green light to the head of the line for the BD harness.

I’ll have to see what my gym has got in stock. Would rather buy local and have the ability to try it on if buying new.

This is pretty interesting:
    https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...lay-loops.html

I think manufacturers play it pretty safe, but it's also a dumb mistake to make playing with something that could be shady in some way.

I also bought a backup harness for my gf from a magette here and would wear it any day. /shrug
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Bouldering is getting old. Kind of broke right now, looking for a cheap harness that won’t kill me. My waist is 30-32”

What you got?

I've got a climbing harness, shoes, helmet etc that I will sell for cheap. It is great gear that I simply don't use. PM me and we can work a deal out.

So that harness I've had in attic storage (that probably gets up to 120 degrees during the hottest Summer days) for about ten years is a Black Diamond Momentum AL, "rust" color, size large (33-36"). Basically this one: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Never used or even removed from original packaging other than to look for a manufacturing date just now, which I didn't find. Stored inside a plastic box in a dry climate, so no UV or moisture exposure. If anyone wants to cover shipping and a couple bucks for a coffee, it's yours.

WTB: Climbing Harness

I’ll give you this 20 year old Metolius harness for free. Size Medium. Adjustable leg loops. It’s sat in a bin for 15 years. I’d trust it. But I’m too fat for it.

Free plus shipping

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0158.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	290503
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Do not use a fifteen year old harness. See my post above.

Just buy a new fucking harness.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Do not use a fifteen year old harness. See my post above.

Just buy a new fucking harness.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Check this:
    https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...d-harness.html