Best clear, protective frame tape?

I searched, search sucks and I'm sure it's been talked about before. There are a bunch of options out there. I don't want to spend a ton and just want to tape a few high wear areas of the frame.

Back in the day, people used to put clear tape over their ski topsheets to protect them from scratches and chips. It was called Ski Saver tape. The product was popular for a few years then failed miserably.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I use generic "helicopter tape" from Amazon for bike frames, for cable rub. Cheap.

I haven't found a good source for thicker protection tape, like for the underside of a down tube. There is a thicker tape "shelter tape" but I haven't found a generic cheap option for it - anyone have one?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Shelter Tape is well worth it for for down tube and stays. Gives you more than just cosmetic protection. Pricey but when you look at how much your frame is worth, it's worth it. The "shop roll" is five meters for $80, enough for two bikes. Jenson has it.

I use Expel Ultimate elsewhere. Cheap and comes in any width and length you want. Google it and order direct from them.

Never used the actual "Helicopter" tape. Sounds like it's prolly pretty good but I've heard it's pretty stiff and hard to get it to comply with curvy bits. Whatever you use, measure and apply carefully, and with a heat gun to get it to conform.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Shelter Tape is well worth it for for down tube and stays. Gives you more than just cosmetic protection. Pricey but when you look at how much your frame is worth, it's worth it. The "shop roll" is five meters for $80, enough for two bikes. Jenson has it.

I use Expel Ultimate elsewhere. Cheap and comes in any width and length you want. Google it and order direct from them.

Never used the actual "Helicopter" tape. Sounds like it's prolly pretty good but I've heard it's pretty stiff and hard to get it to comply with curvy bits. Whatever you use, measure and apply carefully, and with a heat gun to get it to conform.
    Awesome, thanks.

x2 for Expel. I did my whole bike with it. Use the "shop by the foot" option to get a couple rolls in different widths. I used a cheap Salsa downtube protecter for the area by the bottom bracket. Cut it up a bit and it looks factory IMO.

https://www.amazon.ca/Scotchgard-Pai...ateway&sr=8-12

the full wrap by people who do it is probably the best but this ^^ is really cheap maybe 20$ for a 4" wide 80" roll and probably available at the local auto supply, I wrapped the top and bottom which left some areas unprotected, the same product also comes in 6" wide so it could be trimmed down to cover more frame but those area's usually don't get scratched, IME the bike also seems easier to keep clean & shinny

https://www.ridewrap.ca/products/
    here is the site for ridewrap ^^ for the full wrap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	film 1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	641.1 KB 
ID:	288450

you get it around curves by spraying with a 25% solution of water & alcohol, some heat would probably also do the trick

edit: note that the stuff ^^ i used is VERY shinny so if your bike has one of them new baby-poo colored flat finished paint jobs it might not look so good with the 3M product covering it ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-14-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Shit, I waited too long to protect my frame. It's got a fair amount of scuffs, scratches and cable rub. At this point I'm owning it!

Is the tape permanent ?

edit: that paint protector I used is put on with soapy water and can still be moved around quite a bit when wet.even tho it is sticky backed,

I had enough of the film left over from doing the frame to put on the roof of my truck where the Q towers for the Yakima will sit, I wonder if it can ever be removed

on second thot I don't think heat is a good idea for application cuz it would dry the liquid
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-14-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Years ago I went to a moto shop and bought a few sheets of protective film. It's pretty thick like what was mentioned for putting on a downtube. Seem to recall paying about $20 for maybe 5 12" by 18" sheets.

Someone school me here any reason why we would use a protective film on a frame aside from aesthetics?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

keeps it lookin purty, and I think easier to keep clean

i thot the protective film was well worth the 23$

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Someone school me here any reason why we would use a protective film on a frame aside from aesthetics?
    As opposed to no protection? For protection against dings that might become cracks that might become problems.

As opposed to black electrical tape applied as thick as you want? No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post

Resale Value, IMO
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Resale Value, IMO
    Kind of what I was thinking — total bike jong here but seems like most frames have a warranty and who on here actually keeps bikes >2-3 seasons.

Thanks learning me some knowledge.

Just spent the last 2 days on various bikes from yeti, pivot, and transition and hooooo damn I thought skiing was expensive.

/thread drift

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Resale Value, IMO
    Yeah this.

Depending on the thickness, like Shelter Tape, it can protect carbon from structural damage.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

When folks used Ski Saver tape on skis it turned yellow underneath and started peeling after 3-4 years ultimately looking far worse than skis that never applied it. Time will tell if your bike looks better or worse in five years.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Time has already told, people have been putting protective film on bikes forever. The good stuff doesn't yellow.

I coated a bike in Xpel years ago. That shit could be bent and twisted to fit any shape, and held up great. It was a massive PIA and probably didn't help resale that much, so I haven't done it since.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Yeah, it doesn't yellow. The good brands filter uv so what ends up happening is that the paint under the film doesn't fade, but the rest of the bike does.

Xpel does make a matte finish film, fyi. It was arguably more invisible than glossy films I've applied to glossy bikes

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

Anyone used a custom kit like from these guys: https://www.ridewrap.ca/

Seems like you would want to apply when frame is new. The stuff I put on the chain stay of my ripmo had mixed results staying on. Not sure if I didn't get some of the tubes clean enough or not very high quality film, not sure brand, something from the LBS.

Ridewrap is great. I think they are doing kits they send out now. Good people running it too.
    I have DYED kit on my bike. DYEDBRO.COM. Got the tie die for my black frame

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I use generic "helicopter tape" from Amazon for bike frames, for cable rub. Cheap.

I haven't found a good source for thicker protection tape, like for the underside of a down tube. There is a thicker tape "shelter tape" but I haven't found a generic cheap option for it - anyone have one?
    Someone on the web recommended 3M Safety-Walk Slip Resistant Tape. Seems to be tough enough for the down tube. It wouldn’t look good anywhere else.

I’m researching do-it-yourself options for wrapping everything else.

IME you don't necessarily need to cover every sq inch of the whole bike, the hits are gona be on top of the top tube or on the bottom of the down tube, the sides of the seat and chain stays see the pict of my Yeti above ^^

I did the yeti 3 years ago when it was still pretty new before i got too many scratches, i remember throwing a leg over the bike, hit the top tube with my shoe, I can see where I would have got paint scuff but instead there is just some dirt no damage,

IME the 3M stuff definatly made a difference in keeping the bike looking better for 25$ and some time, so I did the new fat bike right off the showroom floor

I know an Industry bro who gets the industry deal on a high end Ibis/ SC/ yeti , Ride wrap it to keep up resale value, sell it after 20 rides, doesnt lose any money ... do it again with another brand