Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Is there anywhere you could lease a decent van for a couple/few months for not-crazy money? We've been talking about a long road trip for years and I'd rather not have to buy something and then sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Is there anywhere you could lease a decent van for a couple/few months for not-crazy money? We've been talking about a long road trip for years and I'd rather not have to buy something and then sell it.
    bunch of places now, mostly catering to euros/oz/nz tourists
    https://www.jucyusa.com/
    https://www.nativecampervans.com/
    https://www.wickedcampers.com/

several of them feature the stealth choice relevant to OP - Dodge Caravan. Sure it's a Dodge. It's boring, blah blah blah. Basic boring rigs can be made.

cool thanks man.

whose van is that Bobby?

How plush and what do you consider reasonable?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

I did something similar with a long wheelbase Transit Connect. I personally prefer how it drives to the Sienna. It handles much sharper and more carlike than the Sienna though the ride isn't as plush.

One thing to check is how easily your bike fits. My wife's bike rolls right in. My XL is a tiny bit too tall and requires a bit of wriggling/adjustment. Obviously if you don't mind taking the front wheel off this isn't an issue. I can't remember if this would be an issue if you took out the middle row seats (or started with the cargo version). I'd unbolted the rear seats but just folded the middle. I suspect with the middle fully removed it would fit more easily but I'm not sure.

Overall I found the Transit Connect a good platform for this as the very boxy shape of the cargo area made the space very useable. It's pretty no frills and that worked for what I wanted. It gets good gas mileage. I love the panoramic view from the giant front windshield and it handles batter than any van I've been in save the Mazda5.

Downsides are that it's not good if you need trucklike ground clearance and it's only the footprint of an Outback so there is no cheating physics if you need a full sized Transit.

Got any photos of your rig Marcus? Starting the long term plan knowing my Astro is gonna die in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    How plush and what do you consider reasonable?
    Not super plush but the wife's gonna be in it...staying in it for a week straight shouldn't be awful, so ability to cook and take a dump are high on the list, looking more for versatile and practical than deluxe. Not really sure what a reasonable price is, just don't want to throw money away. I know I'm being vague but just really starting this, it would be for fall 2020 so I've got some time.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I did something similar with a long wheelbase Transit Connect. I personally prefer how it drives to the Sienna. It handles much sharper and more carlike than the Sienna though the ride isn't as plush.

One thing to check is how easily your bike fits. My wife's bike rolls right in. My XL is a tiny bit too tall and requires a bit of wriggling/adjustment. Obviously if you don't mind taking the front wheel off this isn't an issue. I can't remember if this would be an issue if you took out the middle row seats (or started with the cargo version). I'd unbolted the rear seats but just folded the middle. I suspect with the middle fully removed it would fit more easily but I'm not sure.

Overall I found the Transit Connect a good platform for this as the very boxy shape of the cargo area made the space very useable. It's pretty no frills and that worked for what I wanted. It gets good gas mileage. I love the panoramic view from the giant front windshield and it handles batter than any van I've been in save the Mazda5.

Downsides are that it's not good if you need trucklike ground clearance and it's only the footprint of an Outback so there is no cheating physics if you need a full sized Transit.
    Interesting. Maybe the wheelbase or the model year makes a difference? I've never driven the connect. However, the delivery guys I've asked have all been unanimous that it, and I quote, "fucking sucks" to drive up from Burlington on the interstate in the winter. I was intruiged by the Connect when it first arrived here and so I did a lot of asking. They didn't seem to mind driving it on dry pavement around town with no wind, which seems to be it's intended purpose. I have no idea if they have also driven a Sienna. I have. And therefore I am partial to the Sienna over the Connect if a full sized van isn't on the table. Especially if one can find the minty AWD from a previous post, which I suspect might be a rare find for a reasonable price.

OP may laugh their ass off at this but, drop by your local Wal-Mart parking lot and talk to some of the folks staying there.

These people are professional Van lifers and love to talk about what does and doesn't work.

Not super plush but the wife's gonna be in it...staying in it for a week straight shouldn't be awful, so ability to cook and take a dump are high on the list, looking more for versatile and practical than deluxe. Not really sure what a reasonable price is, just don't want to throw money away. I know I'm being vague but just really starting this, it would be for fall 2020 so I've got some time.
    You're probably looking for something like this? https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/...dium=affiliate

edit, you can go cheaper, but probably won't get a toilet: https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/...102832-listing

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You're probably looking for something like this? https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/...dium=affiliate
    edit, you can go cheaper, but probably won't get a toilet: https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/...102832-listing
    That first one looks pretty sweet but $250/night's gonna add up quick, second one looks cool and that's more like I was thinking for price, it does say it has a toilet but I don't see it looking at the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    some dude not ashamed to add a Tiger to an Astro.
    That’s factory from Provan. They sold a lot of awd and rwd versions of that, and also to a lesser extent the CX (hard top).

That first one looks pretty sweet but $250/night's gonna add up quick, second one looks cool and that's more like I was thinking for price, it does say it has a toilet but I don't see it looking at the pics.
    Bit of a deal breaker in the description. "Not to big, not to small". WTAFF????

I looked into outdoorsy and Cruise America recently. The costs add up pretty fast, especially when you add in mileage and low mpgs. I just hit the road for a 12 day road trip with my kids and we opted for the hotel/ tent-camping option in a Hyundai. The dashboard says we’re getting 40 mpg right now which makes me happy. #Vanlife will have to wait.

Attachment 288422
    Attachment 288423

mighta found the winner today at Hood River
    You did. That’s the holy grail right there. I came close to pulling the trigger on one years ago and regret it every day. The one I had a chance at was beat to hell, not AWD and would have been a money pit but I still wish I’d done it.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Got any photos of your rig Marcus? Starting the long term plan knowing my Astro is gonna die in the next few years.
    Sure. My goal was to have something where we could sleep two comfortably but keep the middle seats useable. If I didn't need the latter, it would have been an easier build. The front section folds on itself and sits on the back when not in use. It connects with sort of a slide in cleat for stability. I attach the front to the front sets with ratchet straps (well the non-ratchet versions), which allows me to adjust the angle a bit based on where we're parked. I also put a little wedge under the middle of the folded section for support (it rests on the folded over middle seat). For one person or if you were not going to be moving too much, it's unnecessary.

The back is about 18 in. off the floor, I believe. Basically its made to slide plastic tubs under to hold gear. We use the Sterilite ones with gaskets/latches. The back is hinged so you can get into the stuff underneath, but we rarely use that as things are usually on top of it. The folding front section becomes a little storage box when folded and we keep our linens there.

For a mattress we have those little interlocking foam floor squares under a bed roll of a thick memory foam mattress topper. Pretty comfortable. We made little mosquito nets for the windows with magnets for the front and an elastic band to go around the rear opening.

It was great for my wife and I. Now that we have a little kid it's tight. Usually the plan is for my wife and son to sleep there and I sleep in a tent. Usually my son then decides he wants to sleep in the tent, so the wife gets a nice big memory foam bed. ha

The other nice thing about the Transit Connect wagon version is that if you get a lift tailgate, it comes basically level with the roof and makes a little awning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCCamper_F14-12.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	288444

Name:	TCCamper_F14-10.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	288445

Name:	2019-07-14_12-50-47.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	288446

Name:	TCCamper_F14-6.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	288447

Name:	TCCamper_F14-5.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	288448

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Interesting. Maybe the wheelbase or the model year makes a difference? I've never driven the connect. However, the delivery guys I've asked have all been unanimous that it, and I quote, "fucking sucks" to drive up from Burlington on the interstate in the winter. I was intruiged by the Connect when it first arrived here and so I did a lot of asking. They didn't seem to mind driving it on dry pavement around town with no wind, which seems to be it's intended purpose. I have no idea if they have also driven a Sienna. I have. And therefore I am partial to the Sienna over the Connect if a full sized van isn't on the table. Especially if one can find the minty AWD from a previous post, which I suspect might be a rare find for a reasonable price.
    I've driven a Sienna. In some ways it's much nicer than the Transit Connect. It rides smoother and is quieter. It handles more ponderously though. More like a van rather than a weirdly high large car, which is what i like about the TC. It's definitely not a luxury vehicle though.

I have the current gen in the long wheelbase. The past gens were apparently not as nice to drive but I never have so I can't compare. I stick snow tires on mine in the winter and haven't had any trouble over the last 4 New England winters, though it wouldn't be my absolute top choice for long high way miles where I'd want a softer smoother car.

Edit: And I will note that the TC being much cheaper than the Sienna was one of the points in its favor when I bought it. The AWD Sienna's were pricey even used. If they had been equal, I'd have been more likely to have gone with the larger van.

Nice setup Marcus. My Astro replacement also needs to accommodate seating 4-5 when in drive mode as it'll be the primary ski vehicle. Ours is similar except we have the rear bench in, which folds down into part of the bed.

Transit connect is up there, although I am a bit hesitant to move away from the clearance and more space fo the Astro. Ultimately something minivan size makes more sense for me, but having a full size rig with high roof is also really appealing.

Wonder if anyone makes seat swivels for the transit connect...

What's a Tiger?

check the rear end on to the white Astro
    Yes, but what is it?

c’mon put a Tiger rearend on give astro a new life
    Those were built like that from the factory and command high prices. I've got a second gen Astro rather than the 1st they were built around anyhow. The Tigers are sweet no doubt, but I'm more into stealth, simple and legal seating for 5 since it is my main mountain commuter as well.

Just got back from a camp trip. Nearly 40 miles driven on pretty smooth dirt road. I do like having my current car (jeep) which crushes the off-road.

How do Sienna's drive off road?

Not Van life. More like Van trip? Need some recs...

I’ve had two GMC Safari’s and an Odyssey. Mini vans blow and decent Astro/Safaris are a dinosaur where I live. I’m buying a 136” ProMaster. Most likely high roof because they drive the same as a low roof so why not

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I’ve had two GMC Safari’s and an Odyssey. Mini vans blow and decent Astro/Safaris are a dinosaur where I live. I’m buying a 136” ProMaster. Most likely high roof because they drive the same as a low roof so why not
    Seems like the promaster is getting more and more traction in the van seen. Avoids the Sprinter bling and maintenance costs. Wide enough for most people to sleep horizontally. Lowest floor means best clearance with a high roof. FWD for snow worthiness. Only real major downside I see is the rear suspension design meaning limited clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Seems like the promaster is getting more and more traction in the van seen. Avoids the Sprinter bling and maintenance costs. Wide enough for most people to sleep horizontally. Lowest floor means best clearance with a high roof. FWD for snow worthiness. Only real major downside I see is the rear suspension design meaning limited clearance.
    The Promaster is super low to the ground. I have to imagine this thing probably sucks balls off-road. I have seen a shit ton of these in Colorado though, so agreed that they are getting lots of traction.

All the Youtubers pimping these things out and self-promoting them are a big factor is my guess.