Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 78
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    3,037
    ďDealsĒ. I mean not walking into the shop and buying $2000 carbon wheels off of the rack. Dropper post thatís maybe out of its packaging. Etc.

    Fuck, some of you guys are really salty lately.

    Iíll post pics and weights and price in the spring. I was just hoping someone knew something I didnít when I posted this. Itís giving me something to do and research while I recover and canít ride!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Ripley V4 with a bunch of light parts? Carbon wheels, rigid seatpost (save a lb vs dropper, if weight is that important), XO1, Fox stepcast fork?

    Gonna be expensive.
    I couldn't ride a mountain bike without a dropper these days, don't even know how I did it before. Fuck 1lb. Your bike needs a dropper, even if it puts you 1-2lbs over your target weight.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    - sets nearly impossible target for weight
    - looks for deals

    Lol.
    Yes. Light, <blank>, cheap. Pick 2 out of 3. In this case, <blank> = mid travel 29er.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,291
    lol, ppl really are salty in this thread.

    The full/built Ripley 4 is selling out before it hits the showroom floor, but you could get a frame within 1-6 weeks, build it up as light as you can afford, and you'd have pretty capable bike.

    You could probably do the same with a Ripmo, but heavier or a lot more $.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,937

    Could it be another new bike thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    lol, ppl really are salty in this thread.

    The full/built Ripley 4 is selling out before it hits the showroom floor, but you could get a frame within 1-6 weeks, build it up as light as you can afford, and you'd have pretty capable bike.

    You could probably do the same with a Ripmo, but heavier or a lot more $.
    Iím salty because Iíve been waiting for three months for any Ripley I can get my hands on... and I buy 20+ bikes from Ibis every year. So if you think you can get a V4 frame in a week, youíre fucking crazy. Or youíre Scot Nicolís brother.

    (But for real, everyone is just cueíing on the ď23 lbsĒ part of the wish list... thatís pretty unrealistic for a capable trail bike these days)

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    5,579
    Jump on wrenchscience.com , pick a Ripley with an XTR build and see if you can tweak the weight down to 23. My guess is you'd have to make a lot of compromises on fun/durable stuff and spend 10k to get close.

    Looks like fanatikbike.com also has a bike builder with estimated weights. It'd be interesting to see how closely the weights come up for same build.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Jump on wrenchscience.com , pick a Ripley with an XTR build and see if you can tweak the weight down to 23. My guess is you'd have to make a lot of compromises on fun/durable stuff and spend 10k to get close.

    Looks like fanatikbike.com also has a bike builder with estimated weights. It'd be interesting to see how closely the weights come up for same build.
    I did this on Fanatik before my "salty" reply, and got a medium Ripley down to 34.4 lbs for $9,600. Without pedals. With an 11x drivetrain, and tires that I'd survive going down a hill on, but wouldn't be found on my bikes.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,759
    The Ripley V3 is available on close out pricing, so that's an option.

    Still going to need light wheels, light tires (29x2.1 XC tread), and no dropper, to get under 25# all in. Maybe some narrow carbon bars, foam grips, drillium saddle with carbon rails...

    There used to be a headset that lacked ball bearings for the upper race, in order to save weight. IIRC it used a bushing. Anyone remember?

    What are the lightest pedals? Something with ti spindles.

    Ti chain?

    How much weight would you save using 165mm carbon cranks vs 175?

    Somewhere on here is a thread about carbon disc rotors. There's always something like Ashima 140mm rotors, and you could use just 3 of the 6 bolts to shave some grams.

    There's got to be some more ways to weight weenie this build.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,291
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Iím salty because Iíve been waiting for three months for any Ripley I can get my hands on... and I buy 20+ bikes from Ibis every year. So if you think you can get a V4 frame in a week, youíre fucking crazy. Or youíre Scot Nicolís brother.
    Well, I am crazy, but that's a completely different matter. The one week would be if he lucks into a shop having a frame (unlikely) and six because a dealer told me "end of August". He also said Ripmos are expected before Ripleys. But really who knows... I'm still waiting for mine too.

    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    (But for real, everyone is just cueíing on the ď23 lbsĒ part of the wish list... thatís pretty unrealistic for a capable trail bike these days)
    Totally.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,730
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    There's always something like Ashima 140mm rotors, and you could use just 3 of the 6 bolts to shave some grams.
    A truly splendid idea.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,586
    Any bike can get under 23 lbs with enough speed holes.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    A truly splendid idea.
    Use red loctite on the remaining 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,927
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Any bike can get under 23 lbs with enough speed holes.
    Name:  hes-right-you-know-32644960.png
Views: 157
Size:  115.2 KB

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    713
    Looks like we've run out of options. Guess you'll just have to go full rigid single speed.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,927
    Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    Looks like we've run out of options. Guess you'll just have to go full rigid single speed.
    Totally. Get below 23lbs with that setup without even trying...

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,291
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Any bike can get under 23 lbs with enough speed holes.
    Drillium is lighter.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,291
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ...you could use just 3 of the 6 bolts to shave some grams.
    @ 2:39


  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    555
    Eat less, poop more.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,759
    Lightest headset: Cane Creek Aer
    https://bikerumor.com/2009/04/19/aer...om-cane-creek/

    Lightest pedals: Ultralite Sports Cirrus Ti - 36g claimed weight
    https://www.velonews.com/2012/09/bik...-pedals_238483

    Tire suggestion: Schwalbe Furious Fred - 360g claimed weight
    https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-...ious-fred.html

    Lightest saddle: Selle Italia SLR C59 - 61g claimed weight
    https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/slr-c59/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,927
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Lightest headset: Cane Creek Aer
    https://bikerumor.com/2009/04/19/aer...om-cane-creek/

    Lightest pedals: Ultralite Sports Cirrus Ti - 36g claimed weight
    https://www.velonews.com/2012/09/bik...-pedals_238483

    Tire suggestion: Schwalbe Furious Fred - 360g claimed weight
    https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-...ious-fred.html

    Lightest saddle: Selle Italia SLR C59 - 61g claimed weight
    https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/slr-c59/
    Let's not forget cranksets!

    https://www.canecreek.com/product/eewings/

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,359
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Tire suggestion: Schwalbe Furious Fred - 360g claimed weight
    https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-...ious-fred.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwalbe
    Grip is limited and risk of puncturing is high
    Sounds awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,258
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Let's not forget cranksets!

    https://www.canecreek.com/product/eewings/
    Do want
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,759
    Suspension fork: Cannondale Lefty Ocho:
    https://www.cannondale.com/en/Intern...5-8d6f55bc2ee4

    Which of course makes me think of:
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EllipticalUnrulyGenet.webp
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,394
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

    Lightest saddle: Selle Italia SLR C59 - 61g claimed weight
    https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/slr-c59/
    If you are over 60 and wear baggies your balls may get caught in that.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,759
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    If you are over 60 and wear baggies your balls may get caught in that.
    Lance Armstrong had only one testicle and look how fast he was. Must've been some combination of aerodynamics and weight savings.

    If you remove both testicles, think of how fast you could be!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •