Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 76 to 87 of 87
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Damn dude, I got a little choked up reading that. Will there be another attempt?
    Yeah, that was a tough call to make even though it was an obvious decision. I highly doubt I'll go back for another full attempt, logistical nightmare and not cheap!! Never say never though. If I can get a handle on the saddle sore issues, that would be a good enough reason to possibly go back. In the meantime, I do plan on a return to Salida next June, Justin is also going to join me, so we can both finish what we started. It's still about 930 miles to Antelope Wells from there.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    47
    Well, here it is, the final post of the series. Makes me sad, I wish I had another week to blab about. I guess that will have to wait until next year.

    TD '19: Gear List & Final Thoughts
    Name:  Day00.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  53.5 KB
    Rolling out of Canmore, AB to the start of the Divide on June 14th.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Well, here it is, the final post of the series. Makes me sad, I wish I had another week to blab about. I guess that will have to wait until next year.

    TD '19: Gear List & Final Thoughts
    Name:  Day00.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  53.5 KB
    Rolling out of Canmore, AB to the start of the Divide on June 14th.
    Not sure if you posted it somewhere on your blog, the physical toll was clearly huge, how much weight did you lose over the course of the ride? How long did it take to recover??

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Not sure if you posted it somewhere on your blog, the physical toll was clearly huge, how much weight did you lose over the course of the ride? How long did it take to recover??
    I dropped 13 lbs. Pretty much ate everything in sight for about two weeks upon returning home. I'm still recovering. Lost all my fitness because I couldn't walk/sit on the bike for a week after I got home. Then, it was too hot to really do anything, so my motivation was low. Then, last week I had a recurrence of MRSA in my right thigh, off the bike again for two weeks now. Beyond frustrating as I was just starting to feel back to normal and stacking bigger rides.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    I dropped 13 lbs. Pretty much ate everything in sight for about two weeks upon returning home. I'm still recovering. Lost all my fitness because I couldn't walk/sit on the bike for a week after I got home. Then, it was too hot to really do anything, so my motivation was low. Then, last week I had a recurrence of MRSA in my right thigh, off the bike again for two weeks now. Beyond frustrating as I was just starting to feel back to normal and stacking bigger rides.
    Damn dude that's nuts. Great read , well done and thanks for spending the time to put it all together.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    47
    Thought I'd give a quick update since my last post a couple months back. The MRSA had come back and the Doc ordered me off the bike until it was healed. Finished up my 6th round of antibiotics and after 6 weeks of essentially sitting around, I declared my leg healed. I had to get out of the house!! I've been back riding for a little over a month and just today tallied my longest ride since my final day on the Divide back on July 3rd. Today's ride was 30 miles and I felt great. Perhaps it was the cool desert temps, hero dirt and new tires, IDK. In the 4 1/2 months since being home I've ridden and grand total of 400 miles. I'm slowly regaining my fitness, but I'd be lying if I said it hasn't been a struggle. The Divide and the effects of MRSA really took a toll, much more than I thought initially. I'm simply thrilled to be back out on the trails. Maybe I'll even get in some skiing this year...

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    home
    Posts
    780
    Glad to hear you are finally recovered. Thanks for the write up and inspiration!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    25
    I'm just catching up on this. Thank you for sharing, and just wow. I'm glad you are doing better. And as much as losing fitness sucks, getting it back is part of the fun, too.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Posts
    1,473
    glad you are feeling like you are turning a corner! MRSA sounds terrifying.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    Posts
    643
    Amazing thread that Iím just catching up on...thanks for sharing and glad youíre healing up!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Corner store junkies giving advice

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    47
    For some context, any mileage I get to ride is great, but for the way this year started: Jan. 1 - July 3: 3,623 miles and 459 since. I'm so ready to spend a full day...or more...on the bike right now. I feel great physically and my headspace is good after coming to terms with how this year was unfolding.

    Anyway, if you haven't seen the new Tour Divide movie 'I Just Want to Ride' chronicling this year's TD, check it out on Pearl Izumi's YouTube Channel
    I was at the final screening a couple weeks ago in Tucson and it was amazing to experience it in a group setting and listen to both Lael & Chris Seistrup tell tales from their rides. Enjoy!

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    For some context, any mileage I get to ride is great, but for the way this year started: Jan. 1 - July 3: 3,623 miles and 459 since. I'm so ready to spend a full day...or more...on the bike right now. I feel great physically and my headspace is good after coming to terms with how this year was unfolding.

    Anyway, if you haven't seen the new Tour Divide movie 'I Just Want to Ride' chronicling this year's TD, check it out on Pearl Izumi's YouTube Channel
    I was at the final screening a couple weeks ago in Tucson and it was amazing to experience it in a group setting and listen to both Lael & Chris Seistrup tell tales from their rides. Enjoy!
    Didn't see this thread until a few weeks back (been off the site for a long while). Anyhoo, I remember following you and others IRT as a dot watcher. I'm glad you're healed up. Thanks for the inspiration and all of the posts. I have much to learn ( and save) for a TD attemp in 2021. Cheers man, what a journey. Happy thanksgiving from Steamboat, CO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •