Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Saw this too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Really feel for the pros who ski on Marker and will be required to beta test this shit.

Aww -- who am I kidding?

The public will beta test this shit for Marker.
    Yup. My first thought when I saw that photo was that Sam Smoothy is an even badder ass than I thought. What a set of cojones to ski Marker.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Volkl + Blizzard = Marker.

Otherwise, they would probably be on Pivots
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I looked at that new marker M-werks binding and there did not seem to be a Crampon mount ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I looked at that new marker M-werks binding and there did not seem to be a Crampon mount ?
    It's a separate pressed metal part that goes between the ski and the toe base plate. You can see the prongs sticking out of the back of the toe here:

Name:  Kingpin MWerks pic.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  25.4 KB

they must have left it off the sales demo binding
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

"Marker. It's time for the reset."

Curious. Is this the same reset like after you pre-release or Marker Out (tm)?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I was just thinking about what it would take for me to buy a pair of whatever they are about to launch... Only bad injury I've ever had was a class Marker Out situation. It would take a lot for me to get another set of Markers.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post

No way, its actually advertising that you’ll have to re set the touring pins after they come out of the toe piece.

Or you have to re set your quiver of skis when whatever one this binding gets put on is decommissioned for months while waiting for a recalled part.

Looks weighty, wonder how much more it will weigh than the shifts. That video seems to imply that one of their athletes skied it on the FWT. Who ever that was must have elephant sized balls to ski a marker developmental product in a comp.

New Marker Tech touring binding 20/21?

I’ll give them a shot if I can come up with a pair for an acceptable price. My Kingpins have been good to me, and I didn’t have issues with my Dukes. I’m on the same pair of Kingpins I bought when they first came out, with no issues to pins, wings, or heel pieces. Plus, for all the times I crashed or walked out of my Shifts, no way this new Marker version can be worse. It honestly will come down to price point though. I’m pretty darn happy with my CAST 1.0, and if I drop cash on a binding it will be to upgrade to CAST 2.0. It’s really really nice to ski down hill in a real binding when the conditions are questionable. And, with CAST I get to support friends, not some CEO somewhere who sucks, but a bunch of good guys.

It'll probably be $600 like the Shift. No reason for them to go anywhere lower than that given that Atomic/Salomon are the price setters and only other players in the market. The majority of skiers have no idea what CAST is, and all in for bindings and the system, it's effectively the same price, if not slightly more.

Marker is doing some great things. Their is pretty much zero reason now to ever ski a frame binding again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Marker is doing some great things. Their is pretty much zero reason now to ever ski a frame binding again.
    Whew— glad you didn’t say there wasn’t a place for my alpine trekkers!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Whew— glad you didn’t say there wasn’t a place for my alpine trekkers!

Can’t think of a reason for day wreckers either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    True. it's downright impressive. Their ability to create products which self destruct on creative ways is very inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    True. it's downright impressive. Their ability to create products which self destruct on creative ways is very inspiring.
    I’m on the same pair of Kingpins I’ve had since the first season they came out, and haven’t had any issues. Equipment breaks. How many broken Pivots, or Jesters, or STH’s have you seen? How many broken Dynafits have you seen? We are starting to see broken Shifts now too. Everything breaks with enough use/abuse. If you want as close to an indestructible binding as you can find, go find a DH race binding. But do us all a favor in the mean time and give the Kingpin hate a rest.

They are pretty dam good bindings for a lot of people. A few pairs broke, Marker did the right thing and replaced them. They had a bad batch of pins, what did they do? Replaced them. That was much better customer service then the shit Atomic/Solomon/Armada is giving with the Shifts. Anyone with issues with their Shifts is either being ignored, told they set theirs up wrong, or were told to turn their din up. That’s shitty customer service there for you.

I hope this new Marker binding is as revolutionary as it might be. If it’s durable and fairly easy to use, I bet they will sell like hot cakes too. If I wasn’t a CAST fan boy, I’d get a pair of the new Marker bindings to check them out. Definitely could solve a few issues or simplify some things, and make my life a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’m on the same pair of Kingpins I’ve had since the first season they came out, and haven’t had any issues. Equipment breaks. How many broken Pivots, or Jesters, or STH’s have you seen? How many broken Dynafits have you seen? We are starting to see broken Shifts now too. Everything breaks with enough use/abuse. If you want as close to an indestructible binding as you can find, go find a DH race binding. But do us all a favor in the mean time and give the Kingpin hate a rest.

They are pretty dam good bindings for a lot of people. A few pairs broke, Marker did the right thing and replaced them. They had a bad batch of pins, what did they do? Replaced them. That was much better customer service then the shit Atomic/Solomon/Armada is giving with the Shifts. Anyone with issues with their Shifts is either being ignored, told they set theirs up wrong, or were told to turn their din up. That’s shitty customer service there for you.

I hope this new Marker binding is as revolutionary as it might be. If it’s durable and fairly easy to use, I bet they will sell like hot cakes too. If I wasn’t a CAST fan boy, I’d get a pair of the new Marker bindings to check them out. Definitely could solve a few issues or simplify some things, and make my life a bit easier.

I usually agree to disagree but you're wrong. kingpin was a disaster, with multiple failure modes which were each catastrophic as opposed to inconvenient. Many people expedienced them at frighteningly frequent intervals, myself included.

Dynafits also broke, yes, but usually the failure mode is non-catastrophic like the shity rad 1. OG tlt you could break the tower given enough use but they weren't doing it out of the box.

Pivots? what do people break? the half moon? Isn't this also non catastrophic? I suppose people also tear the heel piece out of some kinds of skis. Did i miss a failure mode with pivots?

I know we've had this discussion a few times. I stand by my opinion that your lack of a bad experience on the kingpins does not make them a good, reliable binding. Are you somewhat trying to reassure yourself or are you genuinely of the opinion that people are blowing it out of proportion?

I usually agree to disagree but you're wrong. kingpin was a disaster, with multiple failure modes which were each catastrophic as opposed to inconvenient. Many people expedienced them at frighteningly frequent intervals, myself included.

Dynafits also broke, yes, but usually the failure mode is non-catastrophic like the shity rad 1. OG tlt you could break the tower given enough use but they weren't doing it out of the box.

Pivots? what do people break? the half moon? Isn't this also non catastrophic? I suppose people also tear the heel piece out of some kinds of skis. Did i miss a failure mode with pivots?

I know we've had this discussion a few times. I stand by my opinion that your lack of a bad experience on the kingpins does not make them a good, reliable binding. Are you somewhat trying to reassure yourself or are you genuinely of the opinion that people are blowing it out of proportion?
    Some of the newer pivots have been have a catastrophic failure of the piece of metal that the heel is actually connected to, it cracks right where the metal is bent and the arms are rivited in, and if the cracks go un noticed a large impact separates the heel from the brake assembly.

That said I’ve only witnessed it on bindings that have been put through hell, and if you look there’s usually an indicator that they’re about to fail. Replaced a few base plates last year for various people when I worked at the ski shop.

That said, I applaud the marker hate, if no one makes a fuss they won’t changes they’re buisiness model of making shitty products and giving them to the public to test. Also as far as toe recall replacements, people were waiting for months on end to get their toes, we had some in the shop that didn’t see new toes until April and were brought in November.

Marker had a bad production run of the kingpins, they acknowledged it and recalled them. I have not seen a single pair of the current ones break and I am skiing with the burliest guys in the sport. Also, Dynafit do fail catastrophically. On 2 separate occasions I've had the heel pieces explode mid-turn.

At the end of the day all bindings can brake and given enough use all will. I can't think of a single binding that I have not broken over the last 20 years, even the holly grail of reliability the old metal 916's and Look pivots all had their failure modes as well and I have boxes of broken ones in the garage. For the most part the new crop of burlier touring bindings are holding up really well, especially compared to the shit we used to have to tour on, nano's day wreckers, etc. Hell I got photos of guys sending some massive hucks on touring gear that we would have only dreamed of doing on alpine race bindings 10 years ago. If you want a near bullet proof binding then get an old school metal 916 or a look pivot. If you are ski touring its pretty tough to beat the new kingpins for hucking and G3's for big tours. I would however avoid the plastic Fritschi crap at all costs, and every frame binding like a plague... those Guardians broke a frightening amount of the time and the Dukes always got pretty damn sloppy after a season of touring and the heel springs seemed to fail after a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    That was much better customer service then the shit Atomic/Solomon/Armada is giving with the Shifts. Anyone with issues with their Shifts is either being ignored, told they set theirs up wrong, or were told to turn their din up. That’s shitty customer service there for you.[/url]
    Did you have your Shifts tested by a shop so you/they had proof something was wrong with your pair? If so - how did Salmon justify not getting you a warranty replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Did you have your Shifts tested by a shop so you/they had proof something was wrong with your pair? If so - how did Salmon justify not getting you a warranty replacement?
    The story is buried in the Shift thread somewhere. Cliff note version is mine were tested, someone at the shop thought something was wrong with a spring. Atomic/Solomon said nothing was wrong. I got them back and sold them to a cousin who knew the whole story and was ok with it. He loves them, they are fine for him. He is 8in shorter then me and 70lbs lighter.

My bsl was set correctly. The DIN was set at 11, as all my Pivots are. I’d walk out at very inopportune times, and the answer I was given was to maybe turn the din up. If multiple other bindings, including Kingpin 13s, keep me in just fine at 11, why should I turn the din up to make the Shift work? I can tour with CAST 1.0 just fine and won’t have to worry about prereleases when they shouldn’t. When Shifts just came out, Cody Townsen did a video on mounting and setting Shifts up. He cranks his Shifts to 13. I don’t ski like him, I’m not that good, so I’m not cranking my din to 13 to ski the cool new binding.

Biggest thing is know thy self, Shifts done work for me, so I stick with what does. G3 Ion 12s, Kingpin 13s and P18s work just fine

I’ll admit, I’m intrigued. My shift issue was snow contamination after release. There are times in the Wasatch where it’s just too stupid deep to get every fucking snowflake out of the boot binding interface.

For me it’s a quest to bring one ski on an airplane or long trip. Well, a pair of skis...not a mono ski.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    For me it’s a quest to bring one ski on an airplane or long trip. Well, a pair of skis...not a mono ski.
    Oh man, a touring monoski would be GENIUS. I don't know how I've never thought of that before.

*drinks eight beers*

*buys splitboard connectors on ebay*

*fires up sawzall*

Shifts blow, stop drinking the coolade and start drinking the haterade, of course the amer sports athletes aren’t going to bad mouth the new product, I wouldn’t either if they were paying all my bills.