Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Begging the question, can the tech toe be used to ski downhill at all?
    From looking at a vid from ISPO, when in climbing mode, the position of the boot is such that the heel of the boot is well out of the pocket of the binding heel. So, no, there won't be the ability to ski downhill in tech mode. I also assume that there's just two positions for the tech pins: open and climbing mode, as opposed to "traditional" tech toes with modes of: open, climb, and ski.

Heck, why not just have the whole heel unit be removable except for the risers and save like a bajillion grams on the uphill? (sorry if this was discussed already, new to the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by MnO_____ View Post
    What annoys me with the Shift are all the small issues that could have been so easily fixed if they just came out with a generation 2. Shift is impressive in terms of the overall engineering of the actual shift mechanism, but it is maybe the worst touring bidning I have ever tried when it comes to the little simple things. All engineering work seems to have gone into the much, much more complicated ski/walk shift and the simple details did not get the proper attention. The only opening for Marker to get a place in my quiver is if it can adress some of those annoying details.

The PT needs to
    * Just have a normal working adjustable AFD and not the worst crap dito I have ever seen. The only reason for Shift beeing so embarrassingly bad in terms of the AFD must be some kind of patents blocking the way. Especially in alpine mode. I mean come on Salomon, what were you thinking? A penalty kick for Marker to make this better. Even if they try hard and put up a 1 million dollar reward to the employee that can come up with the most stupid AFD idea, they would probably still make a better AFD than Salomon.
    * Not have a brake in walk mode that you can push down by really lightly step on it if you have just a little bit of snow stuffed under the stepping plate, while that stepping plate beeing designed so there is no chance what so ever to remove any snow. Also SUPER easy to improve this over the Shift. But Marker for sure fucked the break retention up in the Alpinist, so I have no high hopes in this regard.
    * Not have a heel riser that is designed by a 7 year old that still uses diapers. Just give me some f-n kind of click, light lock or whatever that makes the riser not flip down as soon as you do some tracking in fresh snow. I'll even take magnets. If not, all they need to do is to make a heel riser that flips just a little bit longer so it doesn´t fall over.

Thats the easy points.

Then the more challenging stuff:
    * Not break in normal use
    * Keep me in as good as a Jester or Griffon. I personally find the Griffons to be the best 13 DIN binding out there on hardpack. If Marker can transfer that toe elasticity to the PT, I am interested. If they use the mechanics of the Squire/Tour however, I am not going near it. I cannot ski the Shifts without holding back slightly in pressured short turns on icy hardpack. Definately room for improvement in this regard.
    * Have power transfer that makes it feel like a bombproof alpine binding. If they use the pins as the connector, it might work.
    * Make a M-Works version of the PT that is 200 grams lighter.

IF Marker ticks all these boxes, I can live with the extra fiddle of a removable alpine toe piece.
    That's a lot of boxes to 'tick' for a company like marker!

First time I have seen a price tag attached, $825 and ships 'late summer':

https://cripplecreekbc.com/products/...ouring-binding

All the new bc bindings are really expensive, even low tech speed turn types are coming in over $500..
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

MSRP on the PT12 is 700. More in line with the MSRP of the Shift. But you can easily find Shift for 500.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    MSRP on the PT12 is 700. More in line with the MSRP of the Shift. But you can easily find Shift for 500.
    No one sells at MSRP. MAP pricing on the PT16 is $699, PT12 is $599. I suspect Cripple Creek won't sell many at $825.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    First time I have seen a price tag attached, $825 and ships 'late summer':

https://cripplecreekbc.com/products/...ouring-binding

All the new bc bindings are really expensive, even low tech speed turn types are coming in over $500..
    Is that price in yen? WTFFFFFF?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone with a deep shop discount rolling the dice on these pricey devils this season?

I've sold a 12 and a 16 in the last couple of weeks. The 'beefed-up' Squire heel on the 12 is very rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I've sold a 12 and a 16 in the last couple of weeks. The 'beefed-up' Squire heel on the 12 is very rigid.
    Doe it still feel like its going to brake when you step in?

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Doe it still feel like its going to brake when you step in?
    Nope, that disconcerting 'crack' is gone.

The new marker heel on the 16 and royal series is significantly improved from the old royal heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Nice, was wondering about that. Had 2nd gen Tour F10 for awhile (Squire heel) and fondling it didn't inspire confidence, but never had any issues with it.

Looks like if someone was so inclined and had a pair of Griffons, they could swap heels (obviously you'd have to retain the PT brake assembly) with the PT16 Jester heel to trim some weight without dropping down to the Squire heel. Or get the PT12 and bump the heel up to Griffons, if you don't mind losing the magnesium toe wings.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-15-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Jon can you please let us know the heel toe delta of these?
    Are Alpine Din and Gripwalk the same
    Thanks to the man of endless accurate knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Jon can you please let us know the heel toe delta of these?
    Are Alpine Din and Gripwalk the same
    Thanks to the man of endless accurate knowledge.
    I measured the actual delta from the lowest parts of the boot sole at the heel and toe to the topsheet.

The delta is the same on both the 12 and the 16 versions and is as follows:

- with alpine soles (Cochise) = 7mm
    - with a full AT sole (Mercury) = 9.5mm - although this is very dependent upon the make/model/AT sole profile as that determines where the sole contacts the AFD

IIRC the delta on the other Royal Family bindings with a alpine boot is 2mm so I was disappointed to see such an increase.

I didn't have a GW sole to hand to try but as soon as I do I'll get back to you.

Agree, this is disappointing to me. IIRC the shift is 8, was hoping for an improvement.
    Thanks as always for your excellent info!

I'll have to look at it more closely, but at first glance, it appears a couple MM could be milled off the Duke brake platform (not the paddle) if someone wanted to reduce ramp a little and make it closer to the same as other Royal bindings. I'll probably leave it alone on mine, since I wanted more ramp than my 0G Tour Pro boots provide.

Is it possible to install inserts for Duke PT and Marker King Pin for the same boot sole length and using the same mount point for both bindings?

Example, I have a ski, that I want to use with duke pt for the resort + side country days. But whenever I’m going to have a full tour day - change dukes for king pins and have a much lighter touring set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    Is it possible to install inserts for Duke PT and Marker King Pin for the same boot sole length and using the same mount point for both bindings?

Example, I have a ski, that I want to use with duke pt for the resort + side country days. But whenever I’m going to have a full tour day - change dukes for king pins and have a much lighter touring set up.
    Nope, that won't work from the point of view of having one set of inserts for both bindings as although the PT toes utilises the Kingpin mounting pattern it's located further forward on the ski than for a regular Kingpin. And the PT heel uses the Jester/Griffon/Squire heel pattern not the Kingpin pattern.

So for it to work you'll need to have two sets of inserts on the ski. And if you're doing that it'd be a better plan to combine the PT with the Alpinst which has the same toe pattern as the Kingpin but weighs waaay less. You might get lucky and find the rear PT toe locations can be shared with the front Alpinist toe locations though as, IIRC, they'll be pretty close with the same boot sole length. If the Alpinist won't give any shared inserts then there's plenty of tech bindings to choose from that are considerably lighter than the Kingpin and you shouldn't have trouble finding one that'll miss the PT locations etc.

Anyone heard of any problems? Like releases from the tech toe uphill?

Need to shoot a photo, but anyone with a short BSL and rockered sole boots will need to grind the forward end of the heel sole lugs where they contact the brake pedal. My 26.5 Zero G Tour Pro heel is elevated about 3/16" off the brake platform prior to grinding due to the toe being a lot lower than heel in ski mode, and being propped up by the brake pedal. Wasn't a fan of the upright ramp using Wardens, but this might be the opposite. Hopefully it's a good ramp after grinding the heel, I prefer about 6mm for an alpine binder.

The PT12 heel retains that horrible "breaking" sound of the Tour F10 and F12 when you step in/out, lol.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-23-2021 at 12:51 PM.

I guess I’ll figure it out tomorrow

They work great. No uphill issues. No icing issues so far. Skinned all day with the toes flipped open at 10 degrees in powder and locked right in and took off every time. Downhill feels just like a jester. I personally like the riser set up with the single 10 degree. When not on a riser it feels like it is about a 4-5 degree because on the brake lockout roller on the brake. Toe lock out works great. Feels like a king pin. No complaints.

how about the tech toe release lever breaking and having the springs etc blow all over the place? does that count?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    how about the tech toe release lever breaking and having the springs etc blow all over the place? does that count?
    I definitely don’t have a ton of faith in it. It feels like it locks well. But it definitely should be metal. But it was cold today and it seemed ok.