Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I suspect ice buildup in that latch could cause problems
    Hard to say until they have been in the wild for a bit, however, those engagement points are well forward of where the boot sole has contact with the binding. Maybe I am an outlyer here, however I can't remember ever having an issue with ice build up with any of my bindings (alpine our touring), it's always on my boot sole.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Hard to say until they have been in the wild for a bit, however, those engagement points are well forward of where the boot sole has contact with the binding. Maybe I am an outlyer here, however I can't remember ever having an issue with ice build up with any of my bindings (alpine our touring), it's always on my boot sole.
    I've had some minor issues with the cavity where the brake latch goes on the Shift packing up when yoyoing laps, and having to scrape it out with a pole to get the brakes to latch. But it hasn't ever been hard to dig out, and that's in a spot where the boot sole is pushing snow down in. You're likely right that having the connection points away from the boot sole helps here.

I guess we'll see once they've been out in the wild for a bit.

Had buyers remorse after just purchasing a pair of shifts but not really

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Agree.

This looks like a Rube Goldberg machine of a binding; the fiddle factor plus a snow and ice packing nightmare.

Considering Marker can't even get the simple stuff right, I wouldn't touch these with with a 10 foot pole.
    Not gonna fiddle with photo editing but it looks like they're also utilizing the toe pins for retention with the alpine piece.

I've had ice buildup under the springs of Plum Guide toe pieces that prevented the toe wings from closing completely. Quick cleanout with a ski pole usually fixes the problem. Maintenance during transitions is the best solution. Click them open and closed a few times by hand before putting on skins and stepping in.

Curious to see how this pans out for the new Duke, and only real use over time well tell... is the primary vertical locking mechanism that latch? That's what I'm seeing in the pic but could be very wrong. If ice builds up in the baseplate latch or the toepiece latch, much like the ice under the springs of my tech toes, I can see a scenario where the toe piece "clicks" into place but isn't fully locked in.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    (Snip) like the ice under the springs of my tech toes, I can see a scenario where the toe piece "clicks" into place but isn't fully locked in.
    Right, but the springs are under your boot sole, yes?

I think one of the reasons I don't get icing under tech toes is that I rarely take the ski off to pull skins.

If your main objection to CAST is that it relies on a trusted and well tested binding platform, this looks like the perfect alternative

Wait, huh? Why would you ever pick this over the shift? (Unless you are the 0.5% who actually need a DIN higher than 13)

I think one of the reasons I don't get icing under tech toes is that I rarely take the ski off to pull skins.
    If you ^^ never walk around in snow you probably won't get any buildup under springs or in pin holes

But if you do wlak around in snow you must clear the springs and pins ( click the wings and swing your foot back n forth before stomping down ) on ANY tech binding every single time or they are gona fall off

I've seen some long time tech users that don't know they should clear the binding so they wana turn them up or lock them out when they fall off

the worst thing you can do on a tech binding is course work or any kind of work really especialy in a snow storm, trying to carry things so you haven't got a pole so you can't get out or in, trying step in carrying things without clearing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    That's what it looks like.

Seems like the Shift and CAST system fucked and had a retarded baby.

^^^ yes, exactly what I was thinking when I saw this

New Marker Tech touring binding 20/21?

It’s still a Duke...an Alpine binding trying to impersonate a touring binding. But still think they will sell a ton of them because most people still like lifts and really are slack country skiers.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If you ^^ never walk around in snow you probably won't get any buildup under springs or in pin holes

But if you do wlak around in snow you must clear the springs and pins ( click the wings and swing your foot back n forth before stomping down ) on ANY tech binding every single time or they are gona fall off

I've seen some long time tech users that don't know they should clear the binding so they wana turn them up or lock them out when they fall off

the worst thing you can do on a tech binding is course work or any kind of work really especialy in a snow storm, trying to carry things so you haven't got a pole so you can't get out or in, trying step in carrying things without clearing
    Yeah, I get that.
    As a general practice, if the ski comes off I cycle the binding a couple of times and check to make sure the mech is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    It’s still a Duke...an Alpine binding trying to impersonate a touring binding.
    Symantics i know, but i've always considered the Duke to be an (overly heavy) alpine binding with a walk mode.

I think it looks pretty sweet.

Obviously it's a Marker, and fiddle factor is high, so I'm sure as shit not buying this until its had a season or two for the eager public to test out.

But assuming it's reasonably functional without any femur-snapping flaws, I'd put this on pretty much any inbounds ski that I use for quick sidecountry powder seeking excursions. Tough to say without fondling it, but it looks like its a bit more stout than the Shift, which means it'd (hopefully) hold up better in the long term on a ski that's primarily getting used inbounds. The heel looks identical-ish to a Jester (which isn't my preferred inbounds binding, but is more or less fine). And it seems like there's ultimately less moving parts in the toe than the Shift, and the AFD looks simpler.

I also see it as a popular option among the legions of people that mostly gape around inbounds and have a penchant for hiking uphill on the blue groomer / designated uphill route, but refuse to leave the ski area boundary because avalanches.

Maybe I am an outlyer here, however I can't remember ever having an issue with ice build up with any of my bindings (alpine our touring), it's always on my boot sole.
    I guess its technically ice build up under the springs on the ski

and clogged pin holes are kind of the boot sole

I've seen really a experianced guide about to turn up a client's bindings cuz of snow/ice buildup and you don't really want to be the know it all

except for here on TGR
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ya know, sometimes I wonder why you even have skins with all that mediocre terrain outside of your tiny hill.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    IAnd it seems like there's ultimately less moving parts in the toe than the Shift, and the AFD looks simpler.
    LOL what? That Marker toe is a nightmare of moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    LOL what? That Marker toe is a nightmare of moving parts.
    As far as I can tell, it's just a normal-ish tech toe with an alpine "hood" that snaps over the top. That seems a lot less complicated than the shift that has pieces transforming out of the way.

I don't know. I laughed out loud when I watched the animation of the toe piece transitioning on the Marker site. Could just be me, but it seems like a lot of moving parts compared the lever on the Shift. I also can't stand products that have parts that have to go in a pack. I did that once and vowed never again.

I agree with you on the Jester heel though. Those things are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    I don't think they look horrible. Ice packing might be a problem. But what can this do better/lighter/etc than a shift?
    More DIN dick measuring
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    If your main objection to CAST is that it relies on a trusted and well tested binding platform, this looks like the perfect alternative
    Funny because it's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

New Marker Tech touring binding 20/21?

Seems like a great time for Look to make an investment in CAST. Simple, proven to work, doesn’t bastardize an already working binding, and it’s pretty indestructible.

I tried the Shift and learned my lesson, I’ll stick with CAST until the issues are worked out with this new Duke, even then I’ll probably still stick with CAST.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Seems like a great time for Look to make an investment in CAST. Simple, proven to work, doesn’t bastardize an already working binding, and it’s pretty indestructible.

I tried the Shift and learned my lesson, I’ll stick with CAST until the issues are worked out with this new Duke, even then I’ll probably still stick with CAST.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What was your lesson from Shift?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I don't know. I laughed out loud when I watched the animation of the toe piece transitioning on the Marker site. Could just be me, but it seems like a lot of moving parts compared the lever on the Shift. I also can't stand products that have parts that have to go in a pack. I did that once and vowed never again.

I agree with you on the Jester heel though. Those things are fine.
    Yeah. I mean, I'd say there's a better than even chance this thing will suck due to Marker fucking up the execution. But having a piece of the binding that has to securely snap into place doesn't seem that hard, especially since forward pressure from the boot will theoretically help hold it in place.

But yeah, I don't disagree about having removable parts that go in the pack. The only reason it doesn't really bother me is because I see this binding as being used for 90% inbounds, with just the occasional short tour. If I actually want to go walk around, I'll use a real touring setup.

This Marker setup is basically the "obvious" implementation of the Shift. I actually think the engineering of the Shift toe is pretty darn amazing, aside from the AFD. And I think the AFD is a shit show because Marker has the sliding AFD patented (guessing, idk) and the typical way Salomon did AFD height adjustment was by adjusting the wings, not the AFD.

But I think the Shift engineers fucked up the heel piece, it just doesn't have enough damping. A little beefier and I think all these issues with it would be gone.

EDIT: Now that I say this, I'm kinda tempted to try the shift toe with a Tecton or Marker heel...

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post

EDIT: Now that I say this, I'm kinda tempted to try the shift toe with a Tecton or Marker heel...
    Not going to work ya jong.

Shift toe requires forward pressure to work. Just like all alpine toes. The Tecton and Kingpin heel exert no forward pressure.