Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Anyone have experience with these and P15s (18s)? R u running similar DINs? I run 11 on my P15s and am thinking about the PT 12 on a VWerks Katana as a dedicated slack country ski to save some weight. Just wanna make sure I wont need to crank these up. Thanks.

Edit to add, Shift is the backup plan; ran it for two years and didn't hate it, other than the subjective plastic feel and stepping on the odd brake. Running CAST currently. I ran a Griffon a few years ago, so think I should be good with the Squire/Griffon hybrid heel for my backcountry needs, but real world input is always appreciated.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 04-06-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Anyone have experience with these and P15s (18s)? R u running similar DINs? I run 11 on my P15s and am thinking about the PT 12 on a VWerks Katana as a dedicated slack country ski to save some weight. Just wanna make sure I wont need to crank these up. Thanks.

Edit to add, Shift is the backup plan; ran it for two years and didn't hate it, other than the subjective plastic feel and stepping on the odd brake. Running CAST currently. I ran a Griffon a few years ago, so think I should be good with the Squire/Griffon hybrid heel for my backcountry needs, but real world input is always appreciated.

the Dins run true and you should be fine with 11. You know that a cast setup is actually lighter by like 50 grams then the duke pt 12 set up correct?

I still don’t like the heel of the 12 and the 16 is way more stout and is the one I ski, my other half skis a 12 on a 5 din. She hasn’t had a problem with them though.

I would put a m-werks kingpin on that katana v werks and ski the shit out of it.

we don’t mention shift in this thread btw. You can’t spell shift with out shit.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    the Dins run true and you should be fine with 11. You know that a cast setup is actually lighter by like 50 grams then the duke pt 12 set up correct?

I still don’t like the heel of the 12 and the 16 is way more stout and is the one I ski, my other half skis a 12 on a 5 din. She hasn’t had a problem with them though.

I would put a m-werks kingpin on that katana v werks and ski the shit out of it.

we don’t mention shift in this thread btw. You can’t spell shift with out shit.
    Beauty, thanks for this SoVT Joey. Yah, starting to think this is a terrible plan. Was thinking about standing on top of Gonorrhea or Syphilis or any other scary (to me) first turn, in a Squire heel...Yah, maybe not. Only way this makes sense is if I keep my CMD 108/CAST setup, and use the VWerks for mellower/further stuff. But then I'll never grab the VWerks, and then I may as well go with a Kingpin M-Werks, or something lighter (Ill research these further, thanks).
    Re PT 12 weight, was more looking at the 'up' weight with the alpine toe in my bag (850g stated) vs a Shift (886?). Maybe I just eat the weight savings, go with CAST or a PT 16, use it to get in shape, and enjoy those first turns. God damn science. Thanks for talking me off the ledge! Time to eat a gummy, pour another coffee, and overanalyze this for a few more hours (read: weeks).
    Last edited by Sylvan; 04-07-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Beauty, thanks for this SoVT Joey. Yah, starting to think this is a terrible plan. Was thinking about standing on top of Gonorrhea or Syphilis or any other scary (to me) first turn, in a Squire heel...Yah, maybe not. Only way this makes sense is if I keep my CMD 108/CAST setup, and use the VWerks for mellower/further stuff. But then I'll never grab the VWerks, and then I may as well go with a Kingpin M-Werks, or something lighter (Ill research these further, thanks).
    Re PT 12 weight, was more looking at the 'up' weight with the alpine toe in my bag (850g stated) vs a Shift (886?). Maybe I just eat the weight savings, go with CAST or a PT 16, use it to get in shape, and enjoy those first turns. God damn science. Thanks for talking me off the ledge! Time to eat a gummy, pour another coffee, and overanalyze this for a few more hours (read: weeks).
    uphill is closer to 890 anyway. Marker lied. Who would of thought another ski company lying about a weight. Surprise surprise.

I quiver killed a nocta for a duke pt 16 and a kingpin. It’s pretty nice. But the weight difference is big. I double ejected out of my kingpins this year, it put a lot more trust in them for me. It was definitely a situation where I thought they should come off and they did, after that I felt a lot more comfortable skiing on them, but I still prefer the duke pt when I’m about to do something really dumb.

Was thinking about standing on top of Gonorrhea or Syphilis or any other scary (to me) first turn, in a Squire heel...Yah, maybe not.
    Welp, I was wrong about these. Only have a few tours (DOA x2) on the PT12, but so far, they're great. As others have said, solid 'clunk' when you step into em, walk well, transitions are easy, no icing issues as the contact between tech and alpine toe is off the ski, haven't stepped on a brake on the up, same on ski weight as the Shift on the up (with toes in me pocket), much more confidence inspiring on the down. Did a few inbounds, 50 degree-ish, no fall zone, firm laps post-tour, and I didn't give the bindings a second thought; was more focused on keeping the 1930g ski composed that they're mounted to. Only negative is the brakes are a bit short (and I guess the extra weight of the alpine toes in your pocket). Will report back if I have durability issues (don't expect any, they're pretty bomber for what they are), but for my purposes (shorter slack country tours), I prefer these to the Shifts. YMMV. 210#, Dins 11.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 04-30-2022 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    The 16 is quite a bit heavier than the 12, but the Squire heel on the 12 has a lower dildo pivot (to lower the DIN range) so not as much vertical elasticity, especially with an AT boot that has a taller heel lug than an alpine boot.

For best of both worlds, on my PT12's I swapped heels with my 2021 Griffons (which have the new easier-entry heel). The Griffons mostly see use with alpine boots, so the Squire heel is fine. The PT12's get used with ZeroG boots, so the Griffon heel clamps down on the lug a lot more solidly than the Squire heel did.

Marker should have offered a PT13 with the Griffon heel instead of the PT12 with Squire heel, but they were competing with the Shift on weight. Can't blame them for that, makes sense from a marketing perspective.
    From what I read, this is plug and play as mount pattern is the same. Can you please confirm? Just unscrew PT12 heel piece screw in Griffon? Do brakes from PT fit Griffon heel or you just use standard Griffon brake and rubber band brake up?
    Last edited by turnfarmer; 05-01-2022 at 01:51 PM. Reason: clarity

PT heels, brakes, and heel tracks are interchangeable with Royal family heels, brakes, and tracks. Only difference is PT track is longer and allows a lot more adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I measured the actual delta from the lowest parts of the boot sole at the heel and toe to the topsheet.

The delta is the same on both the 12 and the 16 versions and is as follows:

- with alpine soles (Cochise) = 7mm
    - with a full AT sole (Mercury) = 9.5mm - although this is very dependent upon the make/model/AT sole profile as that determines where the sole contacts the AFD

IIRC the delta on the other Royal Family bindings with a alpine boot is 2mm so I was disappointed to see such an increase.

I didn't have a GW sole to hand to try but as soon as I do I'll get back to you.
    Was nerding out on stack/delta last night and couldn't find it listed anywhere so I measured my Lupos (GW) in PT 12s (downhill setting):

Front: 19 mm, Rear: 29 mm, Delta: 10ish mm. (Same procedure as Spyderjon above.)

Marker now lists Stack as 24 mm on both (12 and 16), not that averages are meaningful in this sense. YMMV.

Quick brake question on the Duke PTs.... mounting up a pr of Black Crow Atris' and they are 108 underfoot. QWhich brake should I go for? go 100s or 125s? Wish they had an option in between..... Leaning towards the 125s as I never had much luck with bending the brakes and let alone having the skis clamp together w/ bent brakes

I just dropped off some 106s for mount with 100mm brakes, I'll report back next week when I get them back.

I've heard 106 is about the widest you can get away with.

Just found another fucked up thing from Marker: https://skimo.co/marker-duke-pt-crampons

They make the crampons in either 105 or 125. Clear as mud

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    I've heard 106 is about the widest you can get away with.
    This sounds about right. 107 underfoot I never mounted was going to be too tight w/o bending 100s, 99 underfoot fit 100s, and 113 under 125s.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Quick brake question on the Duke PTs.... mounting up a pr of Black Crow Atris' and they are 108 underfoot. QWhich brake should I go for? go 100s or 125s? Wish they had an option in between..... Leaning towards the 125s as I never had much luck with bending the brakes and let alone having the skis clamp together w/ bent brakes
    If I was unable to verify b4 purchase I would err up. The brakes tuck away nicely once above the top sheet, and I'd also be concerned about bending them too much due to the way the brake interacts with the heel system. YMMV and all that.

New Marker Tech touring binding 20/21?

I have the 100mm Duke PT 16 brake on 104mm Ravens. No bending was required. Fits real close with no sticking. I would concur that ~106mm ish would be the max for the 100mm without bending/grinding?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_9358.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	431414

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by kc_7777; 10-28-2022 at 05:54 PM.

125nn it is then. Thanks All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Just found another fucked up thing from Marker: https://skimo.co/marker-duke-pt-crampons

They make the crampons in either 105 or 125. Clear as mud

I mean that’s pretty clear. Waist less then 105 gets a 105, waist less then 125 gets a 125. Why would you put anything on anything bigger. And if you are a weight weenie you are looking at shit from the wrong company. I think their crampons are great and have both widths.

i also have plums for my light set ups and have their crampons too. They are lighter for sure.

I run 100mm brakes on a 108 Atris with the plastic ground off the insides. I don’t recommend it. The brakes do tuck away nicely and the 125 brake works just fine.

Confirming that 100 brakes fit on a 106 ski. Bindings seem nice other than the heel risers… we’ll see how those hold up

Duke PT Failure at toe piece while touring

My Duke PT 16s were never able to keep a pin tech boot locked into the toe piece while in tour mode. My local shop checked the width of the inserts in the Dalbello Lupo boots that I had purchased at the same time as the bindings and when referenced back to Dalbello found that they were slightly more narrow than they should have been. The local shop warrantied the boots and the brand new Lupos did the same thing. I tried my buddy's Salomon 4-buckle boot and he was able to twist out of the pin tech toe as well. He is unable to twist out of the Duke PT 16s that are mounted on his skis.

Has anyone experienced or seen examples of this happening? Going back to the local shop tomorrow to discuss -- the problem was first discovered immediately after the first use about one year ago. I'd love to just throw money at this problem and have it disappear. I would love even more if Marker or the local shop would be willing to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmonzzz View Post
    My Duke PT 16s were never able to keep a pin tech boot locked into the toe piece while in tour mode. My local shop checked the width of the inserts in the Dalbello Lupo boots that I had purchased at the same time as the bindings and when referenced back to Dalbello found that they were slightly more narrow than they should have been. The local shop warrantied the boots and the brand new Lupos did the same thing. I tried my buddy's Salomon 4-buckle boot and he was able to twist out of the pin tech toe as well. He is unable to twist out of the Duke PT 16s that are mounted on his skis.

Has anyone experienced or seen examples of this happening? Going back to the local shop tomorrow to discuss -- the problem was first discovered immediately after the first use about one year ago. I'd love to just throw money at this problem and have it disappear. I would love even more if Marker or the local shop would be willing to do the same.
    First off, it’s been going on for a year and you are just dealing with it?

Second, google MDV New Hampshire, call them, option 2 for parts and warranty. (Be nice, there is one guy working in parts and warranty and he’s a really good guy, if you are nice he will take care of you)

Third, how much force are you putting on it to twist it out? Are you doing it while fully locked in the third position up on the toe?

Started the process a year ago and the shop believed the problem was boots.

Thanks so much for the contact suggestion — that is great info!

Normal torsional pressure is enough to release the boot and it was that way since day one. Ended up buying another pair to mount now while going through warranty. Shop guy thinks the casting of the toe piece looks defective.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmonzzz View Post
    Started the process a year ago and the shop believed the problem was boots.

Thanks so much for the contact suggestion — that is great info!

Normal torsional pressure is enough to release the boot and it was that way since day one. Ended up buying another pair to mount now while going through warranty. Shop guy thinks the casting of the toe piece looks defective.

is that the same shop guy that thought your boot was defective too? In about 30 seconds on a bench with a different pair of boots a good tech could tell you what’s wrong. is there only one ski shop where you live?

but it sounds like your lock out levers aren’t engaging, the lockout levers were snapping off and not working correctly on the first generation.

marker is usually very quick with warranty stuff. I had kingpin parts two days after calling them.

Anybody have 125mm brakes that wants 100mm brakes?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Anybody have 125mm brakes that wants 100mm brakes?
    I just traded with 1000-oaks. He said he bought another pair of 125s but he still did the trade. He'll have two pairs soon, so....

Quick question. Are they the year of the toe wing breaks? Or are these the run after that? How can I tell? Am I gonna die?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2376.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	449565
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Sorry but I lied!

There is a way to tell the difference between the two toe bindings. The replacement/2nd gen toes have an asterix at the end of the part number on the left pin arm, as per the pic below:

Attachment 384285

If you have toe bindings without the asterix at the end of the part number (or totally blank, ie no number at all) then you should get your supplying Marker retailer to exchange them.
    ^🤙

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Quick question. Are they the year of the toe wing breaks? Or are these the run after that? How can I tell? Am I gonna die?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2376.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	449565

call MDV warranty and parts and they will ask for the serial # on the toe piece.