Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Hymenoptera other than Anthophila

EXTERMINATE
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Y'all gotta make it net scoring to 21 with a beer in the non-throwing hand if you want to make it legit.

Just sayin.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Y'all gotta make it net scoring to 21 with a beer in the non-throwing hand if you want to make it legit.

Just sayin.
    Didn't know there was another way to play?

I had ground wasps in my back yard a few years ago. They stung my wife when she walked through the yard and then got me several times after I mowed over their secret lair. Having young kids I knew they had to go. I searched the internet for humane and restrained approaches to eliminate the wasps.

Once I figured out where the entrance was I placed a glass bowl over it, as the interwebz claimed this would end them within 48 hours. The next day I went outside to discover they had dug a new exit within a foot of the original entrance. They did not seem a bit bothered by having to dig a new means of egress. So, I covered entrance 2 with another clear glass bowl. The following day a third entrance had been dug. They were hard working wasps. Do not waste your time with clear bowls.

Next I tried to flood them out. Despite running a hose full bore into the uppermost entrance for 15 minutes the little bastards appeared nonplussed by their forced bath. Our sandy soil likely drained the water before it could build up and drown the nasty buggers.

Finally, tired of their resilience and refusal to vacate, I went pyro. A couple of hours after sunset I poured about a half gallon of gasoline, which was likely 7/16s of a gallon too much, into the upper opening, waited about 10 seconds and threw a few matches at the entrance.

What followed was like a scene from the movie backdraft. With an audible WHOOSH, fired shot out of not one or two but all three entrances. The flames burned and burned for 10 minutes unabated as though 3 bunsen burners were buried in my yard. When I noticed my relatively new neighbors peering out of their windows I became a bit more aware that I had gone WAY overboard.

Since a 3 foot circle of my lawn was totally blackened and the subterranean inferno still raged, I figured I would grab a shovel and "dig the fire out". It made sense in the moment but was ludicrous. The gas had perneated the above mentioned sandy soil and burned like a raging gas grill as I opened up a two foot deep hole.

Finally realizing the gas was headed towards the ground water I dug like heck and poured each scoop of sandy soil back into the flames before setting it aside. Each scoop of sand would light up as though I was pouring fresh gasoline on the fire. Pouring the sand slowly into the flames from shoulder height created a cascade of flames roughly ten feet high, which eventually drew my new neighbors out onto their deck with beers (one for me) to watch the pre 4th of July festivities.

I kept digging and "cleansing the soil by fire" for about and hour, with my neighbor giving me a hand, before the fuel source was eliminated.

While it was clearly not my finest moment, my neighbor loves telling the story, and the ground wasp problem was no more.

So, a cup of gasoline is likely more than enough to do the job.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Our 5 y o was allergic to bees and I showed no mercy when I found a yellow jackets nesting in holes in the yard.

1 - Do the killing and night or early morning while the little bastards are in the nest.

2- Pour half a pint of gasoline in the hole

3- light it.

4- Check back during the day to kill stragglers/survivors with bee/wasp spray
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Before going overboard with the potential of exploading your yard in a caddy shack flash back. Why don’t you try squirting a can of wasp killer down the hole? I have had success doing that in the past. Then, if that doesn’t work, move on to more complicated solutions.

BC13 thread winner
    watch out for snakes

And winner in the battle against yellow jackets.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    BC13 thread winner
    Totally. Actually laughed out loud reading it. Good work BC13!!!
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Jeans and a maul.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

See, that’s why I come here. Real life cautionary tales.

Well done.

I go into battle tonight. I’ll advise as necessary.
    I still call it The Jake.

BC13 thread winner
    No doubt. A good story well told. Hi^5!

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Jeans and a maul.
    I don't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I go into battle tonight. I’ll advise as necessary.
    Those look like yellow jackets. Good luck Bmills.

I've never fucked w/ yj's after dark. You dudes can confirm they just let you kill them as long as the sun isn't out?? Just don't want to loose Bmills again.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Tape all your cuffs. Wear ski goggles. Make sure the powder skirt is nice and tight.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

BC13 thread winner
    yeah, great story. needed that today for conf call hell

For reals, boiling mint/peppermint water

https://www.newlifeonahomestead.com/yellowjackets/

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    ...I poured about a half gallon of gasoline, which was likely 7/16s of a gallon too much, into the upper opening, waited about 10 seconds and threw a few matches at the entrance...
    BC13, that was hilarious. I especially liked the observation that I quoted above.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    RU serious? This sort of wacky shit will get you a trip to the emergency room...

Shop Vacuum

This yellow jacket trap can be used for both underground nests and hanging nests – albeit with greater caution. If the nest if far from your house, which is often the case because the paper wasps love to live in barns and gardens, you will need a generator or lots of long outdoor extension cords to use this yellow jacket trap.

Fill the shop vacuum about halfway full of soapy water after you have located the nest.

Place a bowl or rock over the secondary opening of the nest.

Turn on the vacuum, and prepare to stand there for about an hour with the suction end placed firmly to the ground, to suck out all of the meat bees. If there are hundreds to thousands of colony members, it could take several hours to suck them all out of the nest.

Beware, if you let up the pressure when holding the opening of the shop vacuum to the ground, the yellow jackets will escape through any tiny separations between the dirt and the hose and attack you both viciously and relentlessly.

^^^ hold my beer

Fuel oil over gasoline, will burn longer and hotter... and with much less excitement than BC13 hilarious story. Fuckers got owned though, I laughed.

Exterminator. You should have seen the size of the nest that came out of the inside of the breezeway at my folk's old place. Must have weighed 150 pounds. It was no problem for the bug guy, however. And, no they weren't fucking muddobbers, they were GD YJ's.

I remember my grandfather using the gas trick, also on fire ants. Seemed to work but that was kinda out in the country.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

If Bmills burns down Buckhead, you guys are gonna be responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Fuel oil over gasoline, will burn longer and hotter... and with much less excitement than BC13 hilarious story.
    The excitement will be of a different variety.

Bmills, diesel doesn't light w/ a match. So if you plan to hover over the nest hole tossing in match after match, make sure you have an epipen ready.

Tiger torch and leaf blower... turn that hive into smelter.

Go get a big boy propane torch if you're worried about pouring fuel down the hole. 500,000 BTU applied directly to their entrance should have the desired effect

Available at your local Home Despot or equal

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...5-01/100341111
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.