Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
    Crazy-looking wasp, I wonder what it is.

The hornets I'd just hit with a jet of Spectracide or similar after sunset and see how it goes. If you can aim the jet in the gap for a few seconds you should be good.

Got about 5 wasp stings the other day while demoing a deck.
    It was unpleasant.

been meaning to post this - guess they can do some good:

Angry wasps help German police nab fleeing fugitive
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Crazy-looking wasp, I wonder what it is.

The hornets I'd just hit with a jet of Spectracide or similar after sunset and see how it goes. If you can aim the jet in the gap for a few seconds you should be good.
    Looks to be a Mud Dauber, No wonder I am not inundated with spiders. insectidentification.org

I don't want to break out the 40, I was going to paint the trim face laying on the roof. Fear I would be fucked trying to reach under to jet those fuckers. Will just slap the brush the next cool morning.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Looks to be a Mud Dauber, No wonder I am not inundated with spiders. insectidentification.org

I don't want to break out the 40, I was going to paint the trim face laying on the roof. Fear I would be fucked trying to reach under to jet those fuckers. Will just slap the brush the next cool morning.
    Bust a cap in their ass!

Kinda late to the party here, but this is how I took out an underground yellowjacket nest.
    My 1st thought was to burn 'em out in some way, but living in the Tahoe basin, if I fuck it up I'd be the moron who started a forest fire so figured I better come up with a better plan.
    As suggested previously, I put on a bunch of baggy ski gear, including goggles and went out with a shovel to pry up one of the rocks by the entrance. I then ran away quickly.
    I few hours later after they had settled down, I put a huge pot of water on the stove, and as it got to boiling I geared up again. I poured the boiling H2O into the hive and again, ran away quickly. This mostly did the trick but I repeated a few days later just to be sure.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Yeah Iíve been using boiling water to kill ants for a while now. I think it only kills some of them but they abandon the site thinking itís thermal or something.

Kills weeds and grass too so that can be good or bad depending.

Someone on my local Front Page Forum has a great idea.

Hornets Nest Removal

Joan Gilbert • jbgilbert@********.com • Center Fayston Rd, Moretown
    Seeking recommendations
    I have a bald or white faced hornets nest right outside of my door and need someone to remove it.
    I am trying FPF before I call terminex or some service.
    I read the DIY methods and am not wanting to risk it.
    These are not your run of the mill flying pandas like honeybees. They are trained assassins! My dog and I can testify. They send out one to make the first hit, who then calls for group backup. It is not pretty.
    Anyone out there do this type of service?

Re: Hornets Nest Removal

Ann Odonnell • annno@****.net • Mill Brook, Fayston
    Discussion
    We have luck with vacuuming the bees up. Place the vacuum nozzle very close to the entrance. Very early in the morning, before the bees are active. Then turn on the vacuum on and leave it running till no more bees are seen leaving the nest. We've eliminated many ground nests that way.

What kind of vacuum? My shop vac would rip the shell off the nest if I moved too close. For ground hornets, how many hours do you need to vac the nest?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^^^ When bald-faced hornets move in, your best bet is to sell and relocate. Fuck those things are nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^ When bald-faced hornets move in, your best bet is to sell and relocate. Fuck those things are nasty.
    He's not kidding. Those fuckers are BADASS.

And just in case anyone hasn't had the pleasure...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    One of those is what sent me to the ER with a severe allergic reaction last summer. So yes... FUCK Them. Kill them all!
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Like most insects, bald faced hornets prey on other insects, namely flies. If you can stand them, they are actually pretty helpful.

We had a nest last year hanging in the back yard about eye level. Mowed on the rider around them all year until frost hit, and never got whacked. Guess we were lucky. They do feel like a baseball bat hit you.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).