Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 364
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,675
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I used to work with this guy Rocky, good carpenter. He would only work if he could be paid in cash, hadn't filed taxes in like 25 years, and lived in his van. He was convinced he was winning.

    #coolstorybro?
    Good way to beat the system.... and disqualify yourself from Social Security benefit eligibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    in a box on the porch
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well except for the part about where everyone who worked with him was thinking about kidnapping, torturing and killing him to get his money, I agree.
    His name wasn't heyzues, by any chance? Rough gig that carpentry, things can get cross at times.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    46,821
    Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    His name wasn't heyzues, by any chance?
    Nah he was as white as your neighbors.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    46,821
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Good way to beat the system.... and disqualify yourself from Social Security benefit eligibility.
    I'm not sure he wanted those. He wasn't a spring chicken when I knew him and he seemed pretty down with working until he died. As long as it paid cash money.

    He's the one who convinced me to put my prized Estwing framer away, man I loved that thing but I listened to him.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    46,821
    I do have and use one of these though:



    Great for splitting kindling.

    (Estwing Campers Hatchet)

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    in a box on the porch
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Nah he was as white as your neighbors.
    So euro Jesus.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    46,821
    Not sure what that means but I bet I deserve it

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,183
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I could've sworn I saw a really good post from AdironRider in here today but now can't find it. Mirrored a LOT of what I've observed. Did it get deleted or is it just my imagination?
    Hey thanks. Its not your imagination, I did post but I went back to change a spelling error and deleted the whole thing by mistake. I got tied up at work the rest of the day but I'll try and recreate it below.

    I've almost thrown in the towel twice in my 12 years in a ski town. The first was after my first year to go to grad school. I didn't even make it onto campus before turning around and moving back. The second was after I got the inevitable letter that my sweet cheap rental of six years was going on the market and I needed to get my ass out immediately. I was lucky to go that long, this usually happens every six months to a year for most.

    Both times I took a trip home for a week or two to the real world. It helps to go to someplace boring, where the real world is actually being the real world, not someplace new and exciting. It is usually a good perspective that everyone looks at differently, but for me it was/still is fat people and their general apathy for life but a desire for a fat paycheck that turned me off to the real world and had me running back.

    That being said, there are certain inalienable truths of living in a ski town that you need to accept, or you are going to have a tough time.

    1) You will make 50% at best compared to a similar field in a major city. Maybe 75% of what someone would make in some middle America one. It will take you twice as long to reach that pay grade compared to both as well. Professional jobs do exist but take a couple years of making it work before you will stumble into one. It will probably not be in a field you went to school for.

    2) You will be surrounded by people who have way more money than you. This gets very apparent as soon as you, or your cohorts start having children. I am amazed at how many people I know sold their 15 year old Tacos and Subarus and are now buying BMW's and 2.5 million dollar houses now that they have kids. They will do this while the whole time you know they make maybe 25 bucks an hour at best.

    3) People in general are more selfish. Most of their wealth is from Mom and Dad and they are not used to not getting what they want. With a limited amount of resources (significant others, professional careers) the amount of backstabbing and general pettiness/dickishness you will encounter will astound you despite the small town nature. You will see lots of charitable giving as people try and repent.

    4) Entrepreneurship is encouraged in concept but not practice. The amount of good ol boy bullshit and moat building you will encounter will be extreme compared to some real world place where people generally don't care if there is a little competition in comparison. Lots of times, these are "bought" jobs with money from Mom and Dad and are not capable of handling said competition.

    5) Your social circle will turn over at least three times a decade while you get established. Fred is probably spot on that maybe 1% of people will make it, for every one lifelong friend you make you will have 99 ski buddies who stick around for a year or three then leave.

    Now with that all being said. If you give up caring about comparing yourself to others, which is pretty difficult in general but is probably required, you will have an amazing life. Literally none of what I listed above (well maybe except the social circle part) will ever be a problem or a care if you don't give a shit about keeping up with the Joneses. Also, none of the backstabbing pettiness if people don't see you as a threat to those limited resources and are otherwise generally pretty rad.

    For me, I found the right balance about 20 minutes outside of paradise and work in a professional gig that is decent and challenging enough, that took me almost 5 years to stumble into. Out here I can actually own a house with people who don't get help from Mom and Dad as much, and they tend to stick around longer. Its pretty nice. I usually get a little jaded by the end of summer, usually sitting in tourist traffic, then fly home for a week and sit in real traffic and laugh at how good I got it.
    Live Free or Die

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    On my 25th birthday I woke up, realized I was one missed paycheck from being evicted or not being able to feed my 3 year old as a single dad. Rode my bike to the local college, some of my racing buddies were in admissions and said just sign up, we’ll juggle the paperwork until student loans can come through. School started in 2 days. Fast forward...4 years of college in 2 years by crushing myself. Then Med school, residency and now I can live wherever the fuck I want. I think it was worth the pain and expense but you need to take a hard look before signing up.
    fkna man! That is awesome. Much respect.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    46,821
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Hey thanks. Its not your imagination, I did post but I went back to change a spelling error and deleted the whole thing by mistake. I got tied up at work the rest of the day but I'll try and recreate it below.

    I've almost thrown in the towel twice in my 12 years in a ski town. The first was after my first year to go to grad school. I didn't even make it onto campus before turning around and moving back. The second was after I got the inevitable letter that my sweet cheap rental of six years was going on the market and I needed to get my ass out immediately. I was lucky to go that long, this usually happens every six months to a year for most.

    Both times I took a trip home for a week or two to the real world. It helps to go to someplace boring, where the real world is actually being the real world, not someplace new and exciting. It is usually a good perspective that everyone looks at differently, but for me it was/still is fat people and their general apathy for life but a desire for a fat paycheck that turned me off to the real world and had me running back.

    That being said, there are certain inalienable truths of living in a ski town that you need to accept, or you are going to have a tough time.

    1) You will make 50% at best compared to a similar field in a major city. Maybe 75% of what someone would make in some middle America one. It will take you twice as long to reach that pay grade compared to both as well. Professional jobs do exist but take a couple years of making it work before you will stumble into one. It will probably not be in a field you went to school for.

    2) You will be surrounded by people who have way more money than you. This gets very apparent as soon as you, or your cohorts start having children. I am amazed at how many people I know sold their 15 year old Tacos and Subarus and are now buying BMW's and 2.5 million dollar houses now that they have kids. They will do this while the whole time you know they make maybe 25 bucks an hour at best.

    3) People in general are more selfish. Most of their wealth is from Mom and Dad and they are not used to not getting what they want. With a limited amount of resources (significant others, professional careers) the amount of backstabbing and general pettiness/dickishness you will encounter will astound you despite the small town nature. You will see lots of charitable giving as people try and repent.

    4) Entrepreneurship is encouraged in concept but not practice. The amount of good ol boy bullshit and moat building you will encounter will be extreme compared to some real world place where people generally don't care if there is a little competition in comparison. Lots of times, these are "bought" jobs with money from Mom and Dad and are not capable of handling said competition.

    5) Your social circle will turn over at least three times a decade while you get established. Fred is probably spot on that maybe 1% of people will make it, for every one lifelong friend you make you will have 99 ski buddies who stick around for a year or three then leave.

    Now with that all being said. If you give up caring about comparing yourself to others, which is pretty difficult in general but is probably required, you will have an amazing life. Literally none of what I listed above (well maybe except the social circle part) will ever be a problem or a care if you don't give a shit about keeping up with the Joneses. Also, none of the backstabbing pettiness if people don't see you as a threat to those limited resources and are otherwise generally pretty rad.

    For me, I found the right balance about 20 minutes outside of paradise and work in a professional gig that is decent and challenging enough, that took me almost 5 years to stumble into. Out here I can actually own a house with people who don't get help from Mom and Dad as much, and they tend to stick around longer. Its pretty nice. I usually get a little jaded by the end of summer, usually sitting in tourist traffic, then fly home for a week and sit in real traffic and laugh at how good I got it.
    No ocean though.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,572
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    No ocean though.
    yhuuge lakes can help compensate
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    9,336

    When did you "throw in the towel"?

    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    this is la la land and it's a joke, rather be living a joke than grinding it out in the real world
    You described Big Sky perfectly. Like you, I am surfing the wave and enjoying it. Living the dream...



    Edit: OP needs to sack up. Quit being a pussy. Tons of work right now. Take advantage of the opportunity staring you in the face.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hugh's Mom's House
    Posts
    11,812
    I dont live in a ski town per se but I have 2600 vertical 25 minutes from my office and my work buys me a pass. I didn't get the required professional degree until I was 33.

    We own a house blah blah blah the biking is OK and it could be a lot worse.

    I miss a lot of old friends who moved away and make way more money than I ever will.

    Life is hard. This thread is good.

    Could be so much worse.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GRRD
    Posts
    1,556
    I turn my head right and look out south window to ocean about 400 yards away. Turn left and look out west window and see ski hill 3 miles up the road.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,874
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I do have and use one of these though:

    Seems smart. If your only tool is a maul every problem is a...?

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    24,636
    Fawn?
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  17. #117
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,709
    I feel compelled to cunt up thread with negativity, as I often do, so here goes. IMO, working for peanuts doing menial labor in a ski town surrounded by rich people is not a sound career path. Also, unless you have some family connections as a potential seed money source, or some other collateral, no one is going to offer you funding for your business idea.

    Go get a degree in a field that pays well. Sell your soul like some of the rest of us have. Mid thirties is not too late to do it, but your window is closing fast. Good luck!

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    5,777
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Fawn?
    Fawn Leibowitz

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    296
    If this is about Bozeman from a 1-yr transplant who is now the tourist police...

    Not sure why you'd have to throw in the towel in this particular situation. Great state school there where you can get a degree while working some sort of potentially less-fulfilling job to pay the bills (plenty of now hiring signs EVERYWHERE last time I was home), establish connections, and end up with new credentials and a degree as you mention at the end of your post. How is this throwing in the towel??

    Bozeman is blowing the fuck up and it does kinda suck, but seems like it's a big enough city now to offer some of the opportunities that you might be chasing moving to a larger metropolitan area anyway, and you still have access to all the recreation you've been wanting anyway. Bridger isn't on Ikon.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    TennesseeJed
    Posts
    9,541
    You are 30 years old and want to throw in the towel?

    I didn't read anything else. Maybe Im taking that out of context.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

    Brain dead and made of money.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,980
    Isn't this where somebody is supposed to explain that there are a bunch of six figure jobs available telecommuting and everybody who isn't doing it is stupid? I'm real surprised we haven't gone down the, "look at me, this is how I do life, ain't I awesome" road with this thread. It is a nice change.

    Different things make difference people happy. I agree with others that there is less opportunity for the +/-$75K easy white collar job in mountain towns. If you need that type of arrangement to be happy, you may need to move to an area with a larger concentration of higher paying jobs.

    That said, if what you are really talking about is the relationship between income and cost of living the situation is a lot less black and white than most people like to admit. There is a big difference between places like Jackson, Vail, Aspen, Bozeman, etc. and places like Glenwood Springs, Gunnison, Ogden, Rifle etc.

    Personally, I like towns in the semi rural west with enough tourism and development to keep the demand for second home and the prices for construction services high enough to keep me clinging to whatever middle class might mean these days. If the town is too cool, I can't stand the have/have not divide between the upper class locals and high dollar visitors and the working class that do the work.

    If this is WRG, loose the identity and don't be a pussy. What have you lived in Bozone 2 years. The website for the real estate company you work for is a joke http://www.bigskyrealestateguide.com...tate/about.php

    It looks like you are surrounding yourself with all the types of people that are selling the cool places down the river. Really, the owner's bio starts with "living the dream..." and his posed photo includes a pearl snap denim shirt? Come on bro...You wanna be who you wanna be and surround yourself with people who respect that or who just gonna get in like and start chugging cocks and sniffing farts crossing your fingers hoping to grab a little bit on someone else's dream?

    What is your dream? If you are cool with driving a 10year old truck, only one bike, something other that the latest and coolest everything, a condo with a small garage or a beater house a bit of a drive from skiing, laying low with the teachers, plumbers, government employees, and supervisors from the ski area...you might make it. You probably get to take a few cool vacations a year but no heli skiing in AK. 30 hour weeks we not be the norm. A night job to help with the downpayment might be required. You'll probably ski about 30 days a year and you'll miss a lot of week day pow. On the weekend you may stand in line.

    If you dream is skiing every good day, having a bunch of expensive equipment and basically playing the game and trying to keep up with Chet and Buffy, you'll probably fair and run back to Jersey with your tail between your legs and work for dad.

    Bottom line: life is about compromise and sacrifice. Have a long hard look at yourself and see what works for you. There are no easy answers and where you chose to hang your hat is less important than many are willing to recognize.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I feel compelled to cunt up thread with negativity, as I often do, so here goes. IMO, working for peanuts doing menial labor in a ski town surrounded by rich people is not a sound career path. Also, unless you have some family connections as a potential seed money source, or some other collateral, no one is going to offer you funding for your business idea.

    Go get a degree in a field that pays well. Sell your soul like some of the rest of us have. Mid thirties is not too late to do it, but your window is closing fast. Good luck!
    Saw a lot of postings for urban planning jobs in/near mountain towns out west when I was looking for jobs after my grad degree. Not a bad field to get into and seems like there is lots of work w decent pay and benefits. I guess not ideal if you don't wanna work like 'normal' peeps tho.
    24° 06°

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    296
    Water / wastewater treatment is another good option as well. Think it's a two year certificate to be a licensed plant operator and plenty of jobs in that field. Kinda wish I'd done that.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,068
    So many directions for this thread to go: realtors suck, Bozeman sucks, just work harder, go back to school, go grind it out in the real world, manwhoring, etc...

    Grabbing popcorn.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    9,336
    OP is really a WRG alias ? That's too bad if he moves away, Ive met him and I like the guy.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •