Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    something no one has mentioned yet
    you need to WANT to live in a mountain/ski town
    now everyone wants to live there they live off this dream/fantasy about living here
    the fantasy dream isn't the same as truely wanting it, I know this chick who just showed up one day single mom two kids drug and alcohol problems out the wazzzo
    what a better place to be with a couple toddlers and a bar scene to kill it and endless amounts of shitty coke
    never skied a day in her life never will even works for the resort here she is twenty years later clean and sober not considering going anywhere
    at the end of the day you have WANT it, you have to want to give up certain comforts that other locations have
    it's not just about the money and pay, its about
    and yeah it might take 10 years before you feel comfortable and part of the community
    until then your just a poser and yeah no one will really trust you

Its never too soon.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    Oh. And don't you dare bad mouth fast fred. He's what would happen if Yoda and Spicoli had a kid.
    Well said. I’m a little late but I want to give that line the credit I feel it deserves.

"Can't make it happen" is code for not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make it happen or the don't like to hypothetical that is the end result. Both of the above are OK. We all make choices based on what we think their effects will be on our future.

In my community, I know of the following jobs that pay $25+ per hour with great benefits and long term growth/ advancement opportunity. Title Clerk, HOA manager, Maintenance Supervisor, Assistant County Planner.

There are an infinite amount of entry level trade positions that pay the same. Being an apprentice electrician would be my choice for reasons the sparkys on here can better explain. In the trades, the advancement opportunities are owning your own business....generally.

The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well where the buffaloes roam. If I needed more work I'd consider a businesses that do the following:

al a carte property management and maintenance - plowing, shoveling, lighbulbs, cleaning, light landscaping etc.

Gargabe Removal - dumptrailer for job sites, homeowner pickup etc.

Painting - probably would call it "Sober, Prompt and Honest Painting". These guys make bank. $26K for the interior of a 1800 square foot home? Yeah, that would pay the bills.

Honestly, these opportunities are really only available to those integrated into the "non-shit bag" local community. Perhaps Bozone and Big Sky are different but from what I've seen, it is pretty easy to network with the good hard working peeps. That said, nobody is gonna take a flyer on someone that moved here last week. That isn't cronyism, it is just good business.

If those sound like a future you could get behind, my advice is the following. Do a bit of traveling and see if you can find somewhere that feels like home. If you can, commit to the community, keep your overhead low and give it your best shot.

If this kind of thing doesn't sound like it will pencil out for you, load up on some sweet khakis and get on the end of someone's knob in the city. The choice is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I know this chick who just showed up one day single mom two kids drug and alcohol problems out the wazzzo
    what a better place to be with a couple toddlers and a bar scene to kill it and endless amounts of shitty coke
    never skied a day in her life never will even works for the resort here she is twenty years later clean and sober not considering going anywhere
    at the end of the day you have WANT it, you have to want to give up certain comforts that other locations have
    I wonder if that's the chick I saw today at the reception
    A glass of wine in her hand
    I knew she would meet her connection
    At her feet was her footloose man

So I said to her...

"You can't always get what you WANT
    But if you try sometime you find
    You get what you need"

Nice girl.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Well, if you've been following this Jeffery Epstein thing, seems that pimping out teenage girls would be a lucrative biz in high country. Make sure you record everything in the rooms, and then blackmail those vacationing skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    "Can't make it happen" is code for not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make it happen or the don't like to hypothetical that is the end result. Both of the above are OK. We all make choices based on what we think their effects will be on our future.

In my community, I know of the following jobs that pay $25+ per hour with great benefits and long term growth/ advancement opportunity. Title Clerk, HOA manager, Maintenance Supervisor, Assistant County Planner.

There are an infinite amount of entry level trade positions that pay the same. Being an apprentice electrician would be my choice for reasons the sparkys on here can better explain. In the trades, the advancement opportunities are owning your own business....generally.

The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well where the buffaloes roam. If I needed more work I'd consider a businesses that do the following:

al a carte property management and maintenance - plowing, shoveling, lighbulbs, cleaning, light landscaping etc.

Gargabe Removal - dumptrailer for job sites, homeowner pickup etc.

Painting - probably would call it "Sober, Prompt and Honest Painting". These guys make bank. $26K for the interior of a 1800 square foot home? Yeah, that would pay the bills.

Honestly, these opportunities are really only available to those integrated into the "non-shit bag" local community. Perhaps Bozone and Big Sky are different but from what I've seen, it is pretty easy to network with the good hard working peeps. That said, nobody is gonna take a flyer on someone that moved here last week. That isn't cronyism, it is just good business.

If those sound like a future you could get behind, my advice is the following. Do a bit of traveling and see if you can find somewhere that feels like home. If you can, commit to the community, keep your overhead low and give it your best shot.

If this kind of thing doesn't sound like it will pencil out for you, load up on some sweet khakis and get on the end of someone's knob in the city. The choice is yours.
    26K for 1800 SQ ft? thats literally insane, anyone who pays that is an idiot. Depending on paint thats about $1K in materials. maybe $1500....and 1800 sq ft? Weeks worth of work for a decent painter with a helper. Maybe you meant 18K sq ft?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, if you've been following this Jeffery Epstein thing, seems that pimping out teenage girls would be a lucrative biz in high country. Make sure you record everything in the rooms, and then blackmail those vacationing skiers.

Ew.

Man come on

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's either pimping, or that.

That TV in the bedroom pic looks like a David Lynch set.

Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post

Oh. And don't you dare bad mouth fast fred. He's what would happen if Yoda and Spicoli had a kid.
    please dude
    yoda as in that star wars shit?

$26K for the interior of a 1800 square foot home? Yeah, that would pay the bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    26K for 1800 SQ ft? thats literally insane, anyone who pays that is an idiot. Depending on paint thats about $1K in materials. maybe $1500....and 1800 sq ft? Weeks worth of work for a decent painter with a helper. Maybe you meant 18K sq ft?
    You're right, Skidog. Foggy made some great points and solid ideas, BUT he perhaps isn't too familiar with the clientele in OP's area. IME, the richest among them are the cheapest bastards on the planet. Lots of investor types that will nickle and dime the crap out of you any chance they can get, and then are the biggest PITA customers to boot. SO many of my customers were (of course) out-of-towners who primarily lived in big cities elsewhere where they were used to a certain level of pricing and instantaneous service at the snap of their fingers. I would literally have home owners with million+ dollar homes price shop me and decide to go with Amazon to save $5 on a thousand dollar purchase, or even worse. Ask me to replace a broken item in their home, I'd give them a very reasonable price, and they instead would decide to schlep some ancient piece of crap from their home in Malibu. All to save like two hundred bucks. Haha. Really have to laugh at some of those people now that I think back on it.

So in conclusion, $26K for 1800 sq feet of painting?! HA! Good luck with that. They'll be like, "Well, back home, my boy Juan would do that for like $1000. You're out of your mind!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    If I was 25 years younger and looking for a career, I'd find a job as a plumber's apprentice. Was talking to a plumber a couple months ago who said there is one new plumber starting for every 5 plumbers retiring.
    A friend of mine is a plumber. A bad day at the office is a really bad day

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post

He is a great guy and makes a good living but he earns his $$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    You're right, Skidog. Foggy made some great points and solid ideas, BUT he perhaps isn't too familiar with the clientele in OP's area. IME, the richest among them are the cheapest bastards on the planet. Lots of investor types that will nickle and dime the crap out of you any chance they can get, and then are the biggest PITA customers to boot. SO many of my customers were (of course) out-of-towners who primarily lived in big cities elsewhere where they were used to a certain level of pricing and instantaneous service at the snap of their fingers. I would literally have home owners with million+ dollar homes price shop me and decide to go with Amazon to save $5 on a thousand dollar purchase, or even worse. Ask me to replace a broken item in their home, I'd give them a very reasonable price, and they instead would decide to schlep some ancient piece of crap from their home in Malibu. All to save like two hundred bucks. Haha. Really have to laugh at some of those people now that I think back on it.

So in conclusion, $26K for 1800 sq feet of painting?! HA! Good luck with that. They'll be like, "Well, back home, my boy Juan would do that for like $1000. You're out of your mind!"
    I'll tell you how they get it.

Wife who changes her mind every time they check up on the place.

26k, but the guy probably painted it three times on a T&M contract.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Pitch Dad on investing, give him a big ownership share, open a carwash somewhere there isn't one and there are lots of fancy cars, profit.
    Nah, plastics are where it’s at. Get into plastics I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'll tell you how they get it.

Wife who changes her mind every time they check up on the place.

26k, but the guy probably painted it three times on a T&M contract.
    Truth. I felt REALLY bad for some masons I was working on a home with. Guy's wife and designer picked out the stone and everything on sight. About a 25' high x 12' wide area surrounding a fireplace. Masons busted their asses to stick within builder deadlines, got the job done and it looked awesome. Wife came back to town to visit, checked up on the progress. "You know, I don't think I like it that much. I think I want this instead." Masons had to tear it down and re-do it all. Wife came back. Same story. They had to do it all a THIRD time. Oh yeah, and the builder was a total butthole about paying for said changes.

I have witnessed the same happen to painters on multiple occasions, but that is true of anywhere I suppose. Gotta love working with finicky spouses and interior designers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

dude really?
    your doing it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    dude really?
    your doing it wrong
    Agreed. I was DEFINITELY doing it wrong. Haha. Many lessons were learned. One of which was try not to work for PITA or cheap customers. Unfortunately though, when you're trying to claw your way up with a family to support, you'll take near any job, no matter what. Always wish I had the luxury of being more selective with clients. That takes time, though. Something not all of us have the luxury of with the kind of out-go living in a resort town is associated with.

Been checking in on this and not commenting and want to offer up a few things.
    As usual FG is spot on and offered a great take. There are options there. As my dad oft said, "MAKE a choice, then WORK to make it the right choice"

Secondly, the path is different for everyone. Its not always "move to mountains, suffer thorough, tough it out & somehow make it work or give up and tuck your tail and head home" SFB had a different path to the mountains. I had a different path from them. I know retirees that moved to Aspen & South Salt lake to ski. Known a lot of "yo-yos' too, people that moved to and from various ski communities based on, well life.

I was spoiled as after I moved to SLC at 12 I never lived more than 45 minutes from skiing ( and aside from 4.5 years in college in So Cal, very good skiing.)
    Post college stints in the RFV & DT SLC let me ski a lot, but the entire time I was developing a specific set of skills to allow me to live in resorts, or really anywhere for the rest of my life. I started at the front desk of a high end hotel and have been basically in that industry in various capacities since, Operations, sales, Meeting & Event Management at resorts, the whole package. I can take that anywhere and hope to take it back to the Mountains one day.
    About 15 years ago I met a girl ( skier, NH) & later moved to NYC to be with her. No more easy ski commute but living in NYC, see above transferable skills. Now I work from home in CT, ski locally with my 5 you and make it out West a few times a year. I couldnt be happier and dont see me going anywhere in the next 3-5 years. After that? Who knows. PNW, MT, ID? We will see.

Point is, dont throw in the towel. You are always moving forward some how, just decide where you want that to be & who you want to be when you get there. When I go back to CO or UT I see a lot of my friends doing very well in advanced versions of what they did when I left, bar tenders owning bars, sales people being Directors of Marketing, guides running guide companies, etc.

I also see a lot of friends from then ( & old school mags) around the East Coast, Chicago & even Texas when I visit for work None of them talk about throwing in the towel, just choices they made.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post

Shit happens....

I only made it through 6 pages, but in case this hasn't been brought up yet- Bozeman isn't exactly a "ski town." It has a metro area of over 100,000 and growing that happens to be 30min away from Bridger. There are plenty of real world career opportunities there, maybe OP just needs a new town?

Personally, I couldn't stand Bozeman, but that didn't mean I couldn't stand any mid-size town with skiing access.
    It sucks to suck.

Storage sheds with RV parking out back. Profit.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Community collage
    I didn't have time to make a collage, so this will have to do

Name:  58f259d1289b92299d57754e554159fd.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  31.2 KB