Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Lol. Us too. I spent years trying to figure out potential locations, created business plans, the works, and (had) decent capital to get the ball rolling. I looked into RV parks, storage, car washes, the works. Pretty much everything that everybody else has already thought of before me. Haha. The math just never did work out, and when the math and location DID look good, then I always discovered multiple reasons that certain tracts of land had been sitting on the market for years/decades without any development.
    That exact thing is being built across from the Exxon. Somebody took a flyer or figured it out.

Plumbers and Sparky's make good money, they cannot afford to buy in most resort ski towns either, all of them I know commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    That exact thing is being built across from the Exxon. Somebody took a flyer or figured it out.

Plumbers and Sparky's make good money, they cannot afford to buy in most resort ski towns either, all of them I know commute.
    Is it also because they don't want to live in a condo or townhouse?
    Most contractor/tradesmen like some space.

This thread seems like its almost a sub thread of the "passion" thread.
    watch out for snakes

Is it also because they don't want to live in a condo or townhouse?
    Most contractor/tradesmen like some space.
    Commuting...done everywhere else in the world except resort towns. Why people think that the workforce is entitled to live up valley is beyond me. Be willing to commute 45 mins and the economics start looking a little different.

How many surfers live in Newport?

How many sailors live in Old Saybrook?

Moving down valley is an option or sacrifice that many are not willing to make.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    please dude
    yoda as in that star wars shit?

Yeah. You speak the ancient wisdom of Yoda but with the modern surfer bent of a Spicoli.

Please write a book called "You have to WANT it". It would outsell Yoda's "there is no try".

When did you "throw in the towel"?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, if you've been following this Jeffery Epstein thing, seems that pimping out teenage girls would be a lucrative biz in high country. Make sure you record everything in the rooms, and then blackmail those vacationing skiers.
    God damnit Benny, when we were on the chairlift and I told you my real occupation I told you to keep it a secret.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    God damnit Benny, when we were on the chairlift
    How long did he manage to stay on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    How long did he manage to stay on it?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=318279

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The grass is always greener. I have a useless BS Degree. I worked in white collar sales and marketing in my early to mid twenties. Like Adironrider said, when I moved to a mountain town for a VP of Sales gig I made about half what it was worth elsewhere.

Got tired of white collar work and looked at trade schools etc. Ended up going to a fire academy and medic school, took about 3 years with a lot of side hustling (Weed spraying, lawn mowing, banquet bartending etc all paid surprisingly well) to make it through. Got hired in said mountain town, state retirement, solid bene's, 4 days off a week.

The other side of 'making it' here is that most of my friends have thrown in the towel and moved away, so my social circle is constantly changing. We joke about not getting too attached to most of our friends as they might up and leave tomorrow.

Hope it all works out for ya.

Stop using the good hand towels as sex rags. Fuck around lay around.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    The grass is always greener. I have a useless BS Degree. I worked in white collar sales and marketing in my early to mid twenties. Like Adironrider said, when I moved to a mountain town for a VP of Sales gig I made about half what it was worth elsewhere.

Got tired of white collar work and looked at trade schools etc. Ended up going to a fire academy and medic school, took about 3 years with a lot of side hustling (Weed spraying, lawn mowing, banquet bartending etc all paid surprisingly well) to make it through. Got hired in said mountain town, state retirement, solid bene's, 4 days off a week.
    Good way to go, as I noted many pages ago a ex-patroller buddy of mine took your route and damned if in 5-6 more years he is eligible for a nice retirement package at about 52.

He also quit tele skiing 2 years ago and came back to the Dark Side.

PM MtnLion
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    A friend of mine is a plumber. A bad day at the office is a really bad day

Today I watched an apprentice plumber dig 8 feet down of shit-saturated dirt in 100 degree sun. When he got the plug loose (tampons, wipes, etc.) a backflow of shit went up to his calves. I'd go the electrician route.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    You're right, Skidog. Foggy made some great points and solid ideas, BUT he perhaps isn't too familiar with the clientele in OP's area. IME, the richest among them are the cheapest bastards on the planet.
    Sorry but you need to upgrade to Jackson where the really rich are. But Vinnie from this board was selling his painting biz here on this board, he was making 6 figures in Bozeman, it can be lucrative. But the fumes....that shit stacks up over the years. Either hire ski bums to inhale so you manage the biz part of it or I'd go the electrician route.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'll tell you how they get it.

Wife who changes her mind every time they check up on the place.

26k, but the guy probably painted it three times on a T&M contract.
    I know a painter in Wilson, she had a client that did this exact thing. As soon as she got done painting the house, she started over in the first room she painted. Bored housewives in Jackson are fun in many ways. Austin, next time move to jackson!

A painting business seems to make a good life for a long term maggot and his family in Whistler too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

First job out of HS, concrete foundation work. Hard work, long hours, Ok $ for a kid, but school seemed more promising so I

threw in the trowel.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

A painting business seems to make a good life for a long term maggot and his family in Whistler too.
    It is a good trade. I painted for more than 15 years to stay afloat in Montana, and I never lacked for work. Still have all my equipment in my garage, and I could be back in business tomorrow if I had to be. It's my safety net and always has been, and more than once later in life I've needed to turn to it when circumstances warranted.

Somebody said fumes are bad--well they make these things called respirators. I always thought the dusty tasks made me feel shitty so I wore a dust mask. It's easy to avoid the unhealthy side of the trade if you are careful. A lot of guys are just dumbfucks about it.

Eventually I did get a degree and a professional certification (when I was in my mid-thirties) and now I've got a pretty good gig working remotely. But I would paint again if I had to to stay in the mountains, and it might very well come down to that someday if/when I get kicked to the curb. Fortunately my body has held up well. Painting is physical but not back-breaking, which is one reason I like it as a trade. Plus very few painters are any good, so that creates opportunity for high bidders who do good work.

Anyway, good luck OP. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Sorry but you need to upgrade to Jackson where the really rich are.
    Nope, the level of ridiculous money up here rivals JH any day.

Just started a project that is a 10K sq ft cabin in the mountains that is about 1/4 of a mile from the bottom of one of the main lift for a private ski area that will remain nameless.

They are having their own lift built for access. It is only a double.

I met the guy the 1st day we were laying out the site, very nice guy. Not a thing like most of us however.

Coincidentally, I know of a man named Whistler who made business out of painting one of his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I was unaware of this and it is magnificent. Kudos to you and Benny. Is he Big Sky local now?

Best thing to come out of this thread by far.
    I still call it The Jake.

How in the hell did I miss that epic thread?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

You make it sound so easy! Haha. I remember that location. Remember how those lands sat for years and years? I grabbed the flyers and couldn't believe how much they wanted for those microlots. It was insane. I still tried my hand at it, didn't go anywhere since even with my funding and bank support, we'd still be about 3/4ths short. Well, enough time went by that the guys who bought it picked it up for a mint. Still WAAAAAAAAY out of my league, but a few local guys teamed up and co-invested to make that happen from what I heard. I know two of them and was glad to see somebody finally figured that one out.

Yup. The trades are definitely where it's at, and there was a serious shortage of both of those ones when I was there. Always sucked if the local guys weren't available and you'd have pay absurd mileage/time charges to get a guy from Bozeman to come up. Thankfully I was buddies with one of the local electricians so he was always there for me. Great guy.

Too bad prices have doubled/tripled since I first moved there. That's what's making it more and more difficult to make it all work. Hopefully we see another massive crash someday, though. Then I'll be back to pick up the pieces again, but this time I'll telecommute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    First job out of HS, concrete foundation work. Hard work, long hours, Ok $ for a kid, but school seemed more promising so I

threw in the trowel.
    Ba dum dum.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

ha, I didn't even notice that

https://youtu.be/fs0uLXodDVA