Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 364
  1. #301
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11,712
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I was somewhat joking, they are both ridiculous. Jackson just seemed more ridiculous though when I lived there.
    Just given ya some shit. Round here its, More $$$ than sense.

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    24,633
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I was somewhat joking, they are both ridiculous. Jackson just seemed more ridiculous though when I lived there.
    It’s all the same people, with different names.
    Hope that helps!
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    4,934
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It’s all the same people, with different names.
    Hope that helps!
    So it's nothing at all like Cheers. Sad.

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    870
    So is WRG ever going to respond or has this thread morphed into its own beast since his doxing?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,572
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    So is WRG ever going to respond or has this thread morphed into its own beast since his doxing?
    pretty sure by page 4, besides a few gems, they all do.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,978
    I have to add that prior to the Great Recession, Bozeman already was a pretty toxic business environment. I couldn't imagine it's gotten any better unless you're content to just bang nails for someone else for a living.
    In 07 or 08 it was straight up gonna mean my brother's divorce till they found a place over an hour away and he was able to focus on other things professionally. Big part of why I moved to Missoula despite Bozeman having the better weather, skiing, etc.
    The answer isn't to just move back to Jersey, but to find a place less toxic than BZN. If that place is Seattle or Portland, I guess that's like moving back to the big city, but it sure as shit beats Jersey. Even SLC probably does.

    And besides, Missoula parties harder, I can tube practically to my house, and I can ride to the top of a small mountain from my back door. Skiing is OK. Closer to Norther VT than Big Sky or Jackson, but certainly a far cry from Hunter or Mountain Creek.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,629
    I had enough throwing in the towel
    living in a town that is filled with gapers day after day has taken its tole
    don't the average person realize they suck
    only townies long term locals like me know how to do it an not look like a punter
    I'm growing my hair out and moving to ithaca and being a dirty hippie and gonna start an organic farm
    the million I'll get for my house in small dick colorado will let me buy a farm start the operation up plus have lots left over
    seems much more relaxing than dealing with posers every day

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    10,826
    i don't think fredrico skis real fast
    if at all
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    161
    Didn't read the whole thread. But, I did throw in the towel and move somewhere cheaper when I finished college and was just starting out. I worked hard and saved money. I had to drive 3 hours to ski and one hour to surf. Over the years I built my career up and gained solid financial footing at which point I threw in the towel on being a weekend warrior and moved to the beach so I could surf 3 times a week. I now live next to a world class surf spot. I would have moved to the mountains but the job options weren't there.

    My advice? Suck it up and start working to get back to where you want to live. I hated living away from surf or ski options but did what I had to do. Like another poster said, you have to realize that the glory days are over. I still miss swells due to work obligations. Life is different with adult responsibilities. As much as I would like to be young again where all I did was chase swells and winter powder it is just not going to happen.

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    No longer Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,114
    Lost my keys somewhere on the beach at the coast today. After I searched for a couple hours, my wife threw in the towel, called AAA to unlock my car and turns out I had a backup set in the center console.

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    10,034
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I
    And besides, Missoula parties harder, I can tube practically to my house, and I can ride to the top of a small mountain from my back door. Skiing is OK. Closer to Norther VT than Big Sky or Jackson, but certainly a far cry from Hunter or Mountain Creek.
    Plus a great bike shop.
    I heart Bike Doctor

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I have to add that prior to the Great Recession, Bozeman already was a pretty toxic business environment. I couldn't imagine it's gotten any better unless you're content to just bang nails for someone else for a living.
    Yup. Still the case. It's bizarre. I never experienced anything quite like it until I tried competing in the area myself. As I learned, the boys up top there REALLY HATE a little friendly competition. Sure, you can fly under the radar indefinitely and do ok, but try to actually make something of your company and take it to the next level? You know. Not a little solo operation, but a legit outfit with employees, a great office, logo'd vehicles, etc. Then it's a whole different beast. The establishment doesn't take too kindly to promising startup businesses they don't have a piece of already, or an established business relationship with at the very least. They're like a non-violent mafia. Haha.

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,980
    Um...nobody really likes competition. I have no idea what the toxic environment around there is however. It is certainly one of the games that is being played around here. Most of the established contractors would be at a severe cost disadvantage to an upstart that could had access to lower cost labor. If city contractors get the impression that it is worth it to be based in Denver, pay the guys a per diem and work up here, we'd probably all be fucked.

    Collusion and localism aside, I would always suggest that someone establish their personal reputation is a small town before opening their own business. As Fred has said there are so many fly by night shit bags and short timers that everyone is wary of the new guy.

  14. #314
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,097
    I just throw that fucking towel in the washer, dry it, and use it again.

  15. #315
    mtngirl79 is online now accidentally awesome at times
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Land of Subdued Excitement
    Posts
    5,544
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Yup. Still the case. It's bizarre. I never experienced anything quite like it until I tried competing in the area myself. As I learned, the boys up top there REALLY HATE a little friendly competition. Sure, you can fly under the radar indefinitely and do ok, but try to actually make something of your company and take it to the next level? You know. Not a little solo operation, but a legit outfit with employees, a great office, logo'd vehicles, etc. Then it's a whole different beast. The establishment doesn't take too kindly to promising startup businesses they don't have a piece of already, or an established business relationship with at the very least. They're like a non-violent mafia. Haha.
    What, exactly, did they do?

  16. #316
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,176
    ^Austin was running a cowgirl themed prostitution ring from his basement. A couple of the girls got messed up by the locals. Nothing major, I think he just wanted to vent.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  17. #317
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Collusion and localism aside, I would always suggest that someone establish their personal reputation is a small town before opening their own business.
    True, but also irrelevant in places like this. You could be there for years, super involved in the community, have friends all over town from the bottom to the top, and be pretty well established and generally loving life there. But THEN the moment you decide to make a proper go of things, that's when your "friends" turn on you. AdironRider nails what I'm trying to say so beautifully in the following snippets below:

    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    3) People in general are more selfish. Most of their wealth is from Mom and Dad and they are not used to not getting what they want. With a limited amount of resources (significant others, professional careers) the amount of backstabbing and general pettiness/dickishness you will encounter will astound you despite the small town nature. You will see lots of charitable giving as people try and repent.

    4) Entrepreneurship is encouraged in concept but not practice. The amount of good ol boy bullshit and moat building you will encounter will be extreme compared to some real world place where people generally don't care if there is a little competition in comparison. Lots of times, these are "bought" jobs with money from Mom and Dad and are not capable of handling said competition.

    ...Also, none of the backstabbing pettiness if people don't see you as a threat to those limited resources...

  18. #318
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    What, exactly, did they do?
    I have a LOOOOONG list of grievances, but it kind of started with getting actively shut out of a major event that happened to be sponsored by the powers that be. I agreed to help since I was totally ignorant of the dynamics at the time. At their request, I was contributing a major portion of their needs, time, money, equipment, and was told that in return I'd be getting a spot on the banner as a donor, along with getting to have a simple booth at the event. At the 11th hour, the guy running the show told me that the higher ups found out I was there and were pissed, that I couldn't have my booth any more, and that I couldn't even wear my company shirt and literally gave me an event t-shirt to change into. Pulled the plug on me but it was too late for me to take back my stuff. Somehow didn't end up on the banner either (hmmmmm), although my competitor (owned by the higher up) was even though they contributed nothing. I couldn't get the local press (also owned by the overlords) to give me ANY coverage. The town association (also run by the overlords) would constantly harass me for things that weren't even violations of the rules. Yeah, constant bullshit like that. And that's just where it started going downhill. Felt the final twist of the knife in my back when a long time friend told me when I was moving out that he wishes his company could have worked with me but that they were instructed not to lest they lose out on millions in contracts. Heard similar stories from managers I had great relationships with when contracts were getting pulled one after another all of a sudden. Was told by a good friend and insider who worked for my competition that I would've done great if only I was able to keep my head down and my operations small but that by growing past a certain point that I put a giant target on my back. Yup. THAT'S the toxic business nature out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^Austin was running a cowgirl themed prostitution ring from his basement. A couple of the girls got messed up by the locals. Nothing major, I think he just wanted to vent.
    Dammit! How'd you know?!

  19. #319
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I have a LOOOOONG list of grievances, but it kind of started with getting actively shut out of a major event that happened to be sponsored by the powers that be. I agreed to help since I was totally ignorant of the dynamics at the time. At their request, I was contributing a major portion of their needs, time, money, equipment, and was told that in return I'd be getting a spot on the banner as a donor, along with getting to have a simple booth at the event. At the 11th hour, the guy running the show told me that the higher ups found out I was there and were pissed, that I couldn't have my booth any more, and that I couldn't even wear my company shirt and literally gave me an event t-shirt to change into. Pulled the plug on me but it was too late for me to take back my stuff. Somehow didn't end up on the banner either (hmmmmm), although my competitor (owned by the higher up) was even though they contributed nothing. I couldn't get the local press (also owned by the overlords) to give me ANY coverage. The town association (also run by the overlords) would constantly harass me for things that weren't even violations of the rules. Yeah, constant bullshit like that. And that's just where it started going downhill. Felt the final twist of the knife in my back when a long time friend told me when I was moving out that he wishes his company could have worked with me but that they were instructed not to lest they lose out on millions in contracts. Heard similar stories from managers I had great relationships with when contracts were getting pulled one after another all of a sudden. Was told by a good friend and insider who worked for my competition that I would've done great if only I was able to keep my head down and my operations small but that by growing past a certain point that I put a giant target on my back. Yup. THAT'S the toxic business nature out there.
    Sounds like good ol' Crony Capitalism. One of the major parties in this country LIVES on this shit. But, you know, quit your fucking whining and pull yourself up by your bootstraps.


  20. #320
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,183
    My favorite are the "affordable housing" fees. No established business has to pay them, but if you want to start a new op, get ready to fork out a million just for the privilege of starting a business that requires employees.

    Then the town council will turn around and deny pretty much any affordable development but give a unit to the mayor from the few they did approve. Talk about a racket.
    Live Free or Die

  21. #321
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,980
    Wait what? The business is responsible for an affordable housing fee is they have employees? This thread is making me see saw between feeling I'm really fortunate for my situation and realizing how tenuous my situation is. Story of my life.

    My favorite affordable housing anecdote is that if you qualify but don't win the lottery but buy a market priced unit, you get no waiver on the real estate transfer tax to pay for affordable housing. That makes sense. It is like forcing people to buy losing lottery tickets for yesterdays drawing. "No thanks, I'd rather not play knowing that I can win"..."No, we need all the money from the losers to pay the winners"

  22. #322
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sounds like good ol' Crony Capitalism. One of the major parties in this country LIVES on this shit. But, you know, quit your fucking whining and pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

    Haha, right?! Crony Capitalism it is indeed, ripping the straps off said boots and giving them to their homies. HOWEVER, no party is immune to this. Case in point. The Overlord I keep referring to is a big time "D" contributor and most folks in ski towns are far from Republican. I knew too many folks who loved them some Bernie while simultaneously pledging fealty to the 1% of the 1%. Bizarre dynamic really.

  23. #323
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    79
    jackson government is a joke on so many levels, but for some reason I thought the housing mitigation got voted down?

    and foggy is right. in communities like these, charitable giving is a great way to absolve oneself of sin or for recent transplants to buy a social circle. Of course, this also provides another great way to earn a living in the town: the nonprofit job! OP should have his family donate to major nonprofits so he can leverage the connection to get a cush office job and maybe hook up with the daughter of another contributor. problem solved.

  24. #324
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,858
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    and foggy is right. in communities like these, charitable giving is a great way to absolve oneself of sin or for recent transplants to buy a social circle. Of course, this also provides another great way to earn a living in the town: the nonprofit job! OP should have his family donate to major nonprofits so he can leverage the connection to get a cush office job and maybe hook up with the daughter of another contributor. problem solved.
    charitable giving is a way for people to buy social status and social access everywhere. the only thing that changes is what charitys matter and how much $ you have to donate to get access.

  25. #325
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,629
    came home for my mid day bong hit
    sunny and warm
    gonna be a organic beat farmer in just a few weeks my dream come true
    in the meantime sure I hate start ups new guys fresh faces and all that bs in the construction industry
    while getting my asshole rimmed by the state last week all I wanted to ask is why they don't fuck with these uninsuraed 1099 jokers out there
    I start my year with 80k in overhead by running a legit company while fred runs his company out of the back of his truck
    but the beat business is all right, not many people growing fully organice chick shit nitrogen free beets
    what do you guys think of white guy dreads? should I grow them

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •