Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 364
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,014
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Please just tell me you heard James' voice.

    And then I'll be happy.
    I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    18,179
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I did.
    Great news!
    I still call it The Jake.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I'm sure dbdude would have been smart enough not to elude Seattle's finest by running around naked.
    The British streakers just do it on a football pitch until security tackles them. Americans always have to throw in some stabbing or shooting.
    It's too bad one of the Uber drivers didn't hit the naked knifer. Amirite.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,014
    Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    The British streakers just do it on a football pitch until security tackles them. Americans always have to throw in some stabbing or shooting.
    It's too bad one of the Uber drivers didn't hit the naked knifer. Amirite.
    It's a fucking miracle he didn't get mown down by a somalian running a light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It's a fucking miracle he didn't get mown down by a somalian running a light.
    This just about happened to us a minute ago

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It's a fucking miracle he didn't get mown down by a somalian running a light.
    There is no such thing as a Somalian. I think you meant Somali. Then again, that's not one of the countries you guys colonized, so you get a pass.

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,014
    Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    There is no such thing as a Somalian. I think you meant Somali. Then again, that's not one of the countries you guys colonized, so you get a pass.
    They can't fucking drive.

    Or Indians.. we colonized the fuck out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Or Indians.. we colonized the fuck out of them.
    Then maybe the problem is that the steering wheel is on the wrong side.
    Getting thread back on topic. OP, stay in a mountain town. Too many shitty ride share drivers (and annoying rideshare scooters/ bikes) in the big city.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,380

  10. #210
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    They can't fucking drive.

    Or Indians.. we colonized the fuck out of them.
    We colonized Indians, too. In fact, took over their whole fucking country!

  11. #211
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,693
    OK, getting back to the OP. New shit has come to light...


    which may, or may not, have bearing on this situation, but letís take it as a hypothetical that the OP is someone with a certain amount of higher education, but not enough and/or not in the right field to ďtelecommuteĒ, has some experience managing a business (but not owning one) - but leans more towards business management at any rate rather than becoming a techie, and comes from a family that owns a business somewhere that the OP would rather not live. What advice would I give to someone in that situation?

    Yeah, thatís a tough one. Trying to scrape together enough money to bootstrap a business on your own from nothing is very hard, especially in an expensive location with high overhead like a ski town. And given that most businesses fail in the first few years, good luck trying to get a bank or investors on board.

    Maybe get Dad hooked on skiing, so he sells the business and retires to Colorado? Unless thatís a possibility, yeah Iíd say towel throwing is not such a bad option.

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    4,903
    Community collage and/or professional cert can help with career shifts. I went to colegio in my late 20s to study business, CC self funded and partly employer funded at a nearby state U. After that did a professional cert to help land the job I have out west.

    Good time to lean on your IRL network and open up to living anywhere out west with a job market that can fit into your new career.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,572
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Yeah he had to hide from the slednecks after that article. And dunfree may or maybe be cjf100079944887
    cj threw in the towel, hugh caught it then threw in the towel again, then when dunfee threw in the towel hugh took it out of the hamper, put an r on it and got back to snapping ass.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,866
    I just assumed he was going by Cal these days.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    plumber
    electrician

    $$$$$ min show up fee
    If I was 25 years younger and looking for a career, I'd find a job as a plumber's apprentice. Was talking to a plumber a couple months ago who said there is one new plumber starting for every 5 plumbers retiring.

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    46,770
    Pitch Dad on investing, give him a big ownership share, open a carwash somewhere there isn't one and there are lots of fancy cars, profit.

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,613
    something no one has mentioned yet
    you need to WANT to live in a mountain/ski town
    now everyone wants to live there they live off this dream/fantasy about living here
    the fantasy dream isn't the same as truely wanting it, I know this chick who just showed up one day single mom two kids drug and alcohol problems out the wazzzo
    what a better place to be with a couple toddlers and a bar scene to kill it and endless amounts of shitty coke
    never skied a day in her life never will even works for the resort here she is twenty years later clean and sober not considering going anywhere
    at the end of the day you have WANT it, you have to want to give up certain comforts that other locations have
    it's not just about the money and pay, its about
    and yeah it might take 10 years before you feel comfortable and part of the community
    until then your just a poser and yeah no one will really trust you

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Community collage.
    usually done in senior housing by past towel throwers
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    14,568
    Its never too soon.
    watch out for snakes

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,572
    60 years old with moderate income, small pets welcome.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    10,760
    Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    Oh. And don't you dare bad mouth fast fred. He's what would happen if Yoda and Spicoli had a kid.
    Well said. Iím a little late but I want to give that line the credit I feel it deserves.
    Jesus rides beside me, he never buys any smokes.

  22. #222
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,980
    "Can't make it happen" is code for not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make it happen or the don't like to hypothetical that is the end result. Both of the above are OK. We all make choices based on what we think their effects will be on our future.

    In my community, I know of the following jobs that pay $25+ per hour with great benefits and long term growth/ advancement opportunity. Title Clerk, HOA manager, Maintenance Supervisor, Assistant County Planner.

    There are an infinite amount of entry level trade positions that pay the same. Being an apprentice electrician would be my choice for reasons the sparkys on here can better explain. In the trades, the advancement opportunities are owning your own business....generally.

    The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well where the buffaloes roam. If I needed more work I'd consider a businesses that do the following:

    al a carte property management and maintenance - plowing, shoveling, lighbulbs, cleaning, light landscaping etc.

    Gargabe Removal - dumptrailer for job sites, homeowner pickup etc.

    Painting - probably would call it "Sober, Prompt and Honest Painting". These guys make bank. $26K for the interior of a 1800 square foot home? Yeah, that would pay the bills.

    Honestly, these opportunities are really only available to those integrated into the "non-shit bag" local community. Perhaps Bozone and Big Sky are different but from what I've seen, it is pretty easy to network with the good hard working peeps. That said, nobody is gonna take a flyer on someone that moved here last week. That isn't cronyism, it is just good business.

    If those sound like a future you could get behind, my advice is the following. Do a bit of traveling and see if you can find somewhere that feels like home. If you can, commit to the community, keep your overhead low and give it your best shot.

    If this kind of thing doesn't sound like it will pencil out for you, load up on some sweet khakis and get on the end of someone's knob in the city. The choice is yours.

  23. #223
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,151
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I know this chick who just showed up one day single mom two kids drug and alcohol problems out the wazzzo
    what a better place to be with a couple toddlers and a bar scene to kill it and endless amounts of shitty coke
    never skied a day in her life never will even works for the resort here she is twenty years later clean and sober not considering going anywhere
    at the end of the day you have WANT it, you have to want to give up certain comforts that other locations have
    I wonder if that's the chick I saw today at the reception
    A glass of wine in her hand
    I knew she would meet her connection
    At her feet was her footloose man

    So I said to her...

    "You can't always get what you WANT
    But if you try sometime you find
    You get what you need"

    Nice girl.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  24. #224
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    35,740
    Well, if you've been following this Jeffery Epstein thing, seems that pimping out teenage girls would be a lucrative biz in high country. Make sure you record everything in the rooms, and then blackmail those vacationing skiers.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  25. #225
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    "Can't make it happen" is code for not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make it happen or the don't like to hypothetical that is the end result. Both of the above are OK. We all make choices based on what we think their effects will be on our future.

    In my community, I know of the following jobs that pay $25+ per hour with great benefits and long term growth/ advancement opportunity. Title Clerk, HOA manager, Maintenance Supervisor, Assistant County Planner.

    There are an infinite amount of entry level trade positions that pay the same. Being an apprentice electrician would be my choice for reasons the sparkys on here can better explain. In the trades, the advancement opportunities are owning your own business....generally.

    The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well where the buffaloes roam. If I needed more work I'd consider a businesses that do the following:

    al a carte property management and maintenance - plowing, shoveling, lighbulbs, cleaning, light landscaping etc.

    Gargabe Removal - dumptrailer for job sites, homeowner pickup etc.

    Painting - probably would call it "Sober, Prompt and Honest Painting". These guys make bank. $26K for the interior of a 1800 square foot home? Yeah, that would pay the bills.

    Honestly, these opportunities are really only available to those integrated into the "non-shit bag" local community. Perhaps Bozone and Big Sky are different but from what I've seen, it is pretty easy to network with the good hard working peeps. That said, nobody is gonna take a flyer on someone that moved here last week. That isn't cronyism, it is just good business.

    If those sound like a future you could get behind, my advice is the following. Do a bit of traveling and see if you can find somewhere that feels like home. If you can, commit to the community, keep your overhead low and give it your best shot.

    If this kind of thing doesn't sound like it will pencil out for you, load up on some sweet khakis and get on the end of someone's knob in the city. The choice is yours.
    26K for 1800 SQ ft? thats literally insane, anyone who pays that is an idiot. Depending on paint thats about $1K in materials. maybe $1500....and 1800 sq ft? Weeks worth of work for a decent painter with a helper. Maybe you meant 18K sq ft?
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •