Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    When the estate is finally yours.
    Ask fred about that. Now's your chance, he's not high.

I am, but that's beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikon_Police View Post
    Sorry for being intentionally vague. Longtime poster using a stupid alias. Just curious as to what everyone's personal "cut off" point was for bailing on the dream and moving back to reality or when/how they actually made something happen so they could live in a cool place AND not be a bum while doing it.
    Never. But failed big time in 2008, like over a million in the hole and almost lost everything. But kept fighting and found a good spot. Be like the guy in Gumball Rally..

Marry Up
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sorry for being intentionally vague. Longtime poster using a stupid alias. Just curious as to what everyone's personal "cut off" point was for bailing on the dream and moving back to reality or when/how they actually made something happen so they could live in a cool place AND not be a bum while doing it.
    What's this reality stuff? How much does it cost?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Get in touch with Steve
    Bourbon out my fucking nose, thanks.

But seriously, for the entrepreneurial minded in need of fast cash, Steve is your man. Probably.
    I still call it The Jake.

A lame alias is free.

But not worth much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    A lame alias is free.

But not worth much.
    Nothin' ain't worth nuthin', but it's free!

Anyway, dreams change, imagination takes us to new places. Never stop dreaming or imagining.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I threw in the towel in 2009, age 32.
    Hindsight says if I had just hung on through a rough patch I'd still be skiing in Utah, whereas my towel-throwing put me into a 10 year tailspin ending in a Michigan bear trap situation where I'm going to have to gnaw my leg off to gtfo.

Be there, be good, get to know lots of people.....be present when "the thing" opens up. Maybe "the thing" is a really good bartending shift. Maybe it's running a forklift 3-11pm at Costco in Salt Lake. Maybe it's driving fire crews around in a school bus all summer. Maybe it's cutting trees for a cool boss. Who knows what's out there...

There are sweet gigs kicking around, but you'll never get one unless you just plant yourself and hang in there getting to know everyone.

My failed thinking at age 32 was that the ride was over, so I had to pack it up and go join "the real world".
    the real world is fucking dog shit. I would have been far better off just to hang in there. The real world involves a lot of creeping vines that grow around you and pretty soon it's almost impossible to move freely. Don't do it. Do not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Hindsight says if I had just hung on through a rough patch I'd still be skiing in Utah, whereas my towel-throwing put me into a 10 year tailspin ending in a Michigan bear trap situation where I'm going to have to gnaw my leg off to gtfo.

Be there, be good, get to know lots of people.....be present when "the thing" opens up. Maybe "the thing" is a really good bartending shift. Maybe it's running a forklift 3-11pm at Costco in Salt Lake. Maybe it's driving fire crews around in a school bus all summer. Maybe it's cutting trees for a cool boss. Who knows what's out there...

There are sweet gigs kicking around, but you'll never get one unless you just plant yourself and hang in there getting to know everyone.

My failed thinking at age 32 was that the ride was over, so I had to pack it up and go join "the real world".
    the real world is fucking dog shit. I would have been far better off just to hang in there. The real world involves a lot of creeping vines that grow around you and pretty soon it's almost impossible to move freely. Don't do it. Do not do it.

Thanks. I did "real world" for like 7 years. It's where I got alot of work experience. It's also where I realized I wanted to trade in my big salary for time. Now I am back at the other end of the spectrum though. Too much time and not enough income. I haven't found the middle ground yet. Burning through savings and investments hoping to make real connections that lead to something legitimate. Have a couple possibilities but they all require legit chunks of cash that I don't have.

It might be your dreams.
    It might be your hopes.
    It might be your smile on waking up....

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Seems that way sometimes. In a Keystone cops kinda way.

I have been a serious under achiver my whole life.

I don't ever quit, I just rest allot
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

In my experience the real world fucking blows.

Listen to Yeti.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Marry Up
    You can't help it if you were born poor but you sure as shit can help it if you marry poor.

I am really only qualified to own a fairly niche/capital intensive business.
    In English, this means I've tuned skis for ten years in a town where I can't afford to live and no one will give me $1M to start a ski company.

I’m still thinking about throwing in the towel...and moving to the mountains 7 days a week...just not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

hear This ! !! This ^^^ is GOLD !

Train squirrels to invade businesses and homes.
    I hear it's a growing industry.
    Good luck and go nuts
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    op is way to young to be worried imo, roll the dice, son.
    yessah

It is what you make of it.

I was shoved from my comfort zone about 5 years ago and started a business with minimal investment other than my name and reputation.

It has worked out, but I also lived in the area for close to 30 years.

And to add, I bet I can guess who this is but I won't. But OP, check your regular inbox and if I guessed right you owe me a beer.

Thanks. I did "real world" for like 7 years. It's where I got alot of work experience. It's also where I realized I wanted to trade in my big salary for time. Now I am back at the other end of the spectrum though. Too much time and not enough income. I haven't found the middle ground yet. Burning through savings and investments hoping to make real connections that lead to something legitimate. Have a couple possibilities but they all require legit chunks of cash that I don't have.

wish I knew how to link quotes...

dude. There is a disconnect here --

in your op, you talked about a niche , capital - intensive business --
    I am sorry - (and) If that Really is/was yours, You would have it lined-up ! I Am sorry...

hear i-as ( our beloved YetiMan ) : no Sh*t :

in your mid-thirties(,) you need to pay minimal bills ( AND You have Got to keep 'em Paid. ) , And

work on building another skill set. And contacts !

I don't know the workplace today - so I ain't going to pretend to go there.,

And hear i-as/Yeti : work , network : Have opportunities ! !!

I love the humor in 'marry up' : There is an axiom about relationships for Money. ...

I threw in the towel in November of 2004 --

by Grace ( With a lot of Help from BigLost's 'A pic or two' ... ),
    by Grace,

I am still Here --

watch out for Depression ; go Easy on the drugs - including alcohol ;

Be Great to your people - Including your dog

I wish you peace. tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

the real world is fucking dog shit.
    nah. shake yourself a little man. I'm sure it doesn't help right now but your happiness is on you. You ain't stuck until you think you're stuck. Kids, yeah. That's my excuse. But you are free, try to feel that way.

Plastics.
    Exactly how old are you, graybeard? It’s all ball bearings nowadays.

Have a couple possibilities but they all require legit chunks of cash that I don't have.
    1- write sweet business plan
    2- take to bank or any interested moneybags
    3- borrow
    4-
    5- Profit.......

Simple plans get results.

That will be $37 for the effort..... payable in the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    nah. shake yourself a little man. I'm sure it doesn't help right now but your happiness is on you. You ain't stuck until you think you're stuck. Kids, yeah. That's my excuse. But you are free, try to feel that way.

ice.

I Am Glad I am not your son :

your "stuck" . . . Man, How can you do that to your "Kids" ! !

no.

-J is shaking -- I hope He rides it out With his wife.

These are strange times. . .

G-damn. is there still Snow on Beartooth

( Can I breathe at 13,000feet ? )

Let's ride ! !!! tj

Good thread -