Whistler - Place where so expensive, can't find or afford to hire non-foreigners?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tler-1.5200880

Are there really no chefs in Canada willing to work in Whistler for a decent wage?

What's really going on?

Fifty chefs from Morocco recruited to sling poutine at Whistler for the season, interesting. I couldn't pass the French language requirement, but know about gravy and curd cheese.

That place is like visiting Sydney.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    That place is like visiting Sydney.

Nah. It's different, mate.

There are way more Australians in Whistler than in Sydney.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-08-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I think they mean cooks moreso than chefs. It's as lot easier to find someone at a chef's salary in a resort town. It's another thing at a cooks wages.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Its ratehr hard to find cooks/servers/ retail anywhere in BC actualy, localy even in town the restaurants are closing early or closing sunday & or monday, the sushi place in town hired not japanese from out of country, last season the ski hill hired a cook from somewhere that doesn't have snow, buddy lasted < a day before he slipped on snow/ice and broke his ankle

the local community college has a program with a bunch of international students from india or bangladesh or somplace and they all go part time jobs in retail working at Safeway, also safeway is now hiring really young kids basicly as soon as they are legal age
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-08-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Shit, we live West of Milwaukee and Kroger grocery warehouse jobs are being advertised for $20 / hr to start, full benefits and a 90 day probation period. Make it to 90 days they give you a $1000 bonus + raise. If you want to work weekends its $3 an hour more. Drivers with a CDL license earn $75,000 and are home every night. Target has a warehouse that is also advertising $20 / hour. Nobody can find employees, sure retail has help wanted signs but so does practically every other business. At least here cost of living is substanitally less than Seattle, Vanouver and Whistler for sure.

So what age group do we blame this failure to fill the jobs/lack of initiative on ?

how do they even afford a new tattoo or a vape pen ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Shit, we live West of Milwaukee and Kroger grocery warehouse jobs are being advertised for $20 / hr to start, full benefits and a 90 day probation period. Make it to 90 days they give you a $1000 bonus + raise. If you want to work weekends its $3 an hour more. Drivers with a CDL license earn $75,000 and are home every night. Target has a warehouse that is also advertising $20 / hour. Nobody can find employees, sure retail has help wanted signs but so does practically every other business. At least here cost of living is substanitally less than Seattle, Vanouver and Whistler for sure.
    Everytime i have to deal with an incompetent employee i just blame the economy being so good that fucking everybody has a job... even the incompetent.

untrue statement ... I don't have a job

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Nah. It's different, mate.
    There are way more Australians in Whistler than in Sydney.
    I once rode the lift with a Jamaican a Mexican and an Australian.
    The second the chair got out of the station the Jamaican pulled out one of the biggest joints I've ever seen, lit it up took 3 long pulls and there it over his shoulder.
    Australian: "Mate, mate what ya doing?"
    Jamaican: "Irie, in Jamaica we have sooo much gonga, don't worry"
    Just then the Mexican pulls out a 40oz of tequila takes 3 swigs and throws it over his shoulder.
    Again the Australian " Whoa mate, what ya doing?"
    Mexican: "Relajarse, in Mexico we have muchísimo Tequila that we can do this"
    I looked at both the Mexican and the Jamaican and shrugged my shoulders, and then I grabbed the Australian and threw him off of the lift.
    Me:"In Whistler we have so many Fucking Australians"

A Whistler local explained to me that a lot of Aussies and Brits come to spend a season or two and bring money with them with the mindset that they'll leave with less money than they arrived with, and are thus willing to accept low pay and high rent while burning savings/accruing debt s part of the experience, and this helps keep wages low and rent high. Not sure how big a factor it really is, but the concept makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I was talking to a buddy who used to work for whistler and all,

he went back to visit old bro's, sez if you work for whistler and got the seasons pass the skiing is great

Cuz nobody who is paying 200$ for a day pass can ski worth a shit so they stick to groomers

leaving more untracked for the locals who work the hill

There used to be a lot of Australians around Tahoe during ski season; now it's South Americans. I assume people got tired of Australians trashing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    So what age group do we blame this failure to fill the jobs/lack of initiative on ?

how do they even afford a new tattoo or a vape pen ?
    Baby Boomers
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

So Whistler asked oil companies to pay for climate change in Whistler (no fucking joke)
    and yet flies in chefs from all over the world to ensure temp labor 'flexibility' and low wages (my assumption).
    Makes no fucking sense.
    So where do they live? I thought WB had huge issues around where resort staff and the labor pool sleeps at night.
    Last edited by puregravity; 07-09-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Whistler - Place where so expensive, can't find or afford to hire non-foreigners?

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    So Whistler asked oil companies to pay for climate change in Whistler (no fucking joke)
    and yet flies in chefs from all over the world to ensure temp labor 'flexibility' and low wages (my assumption).
    Makes no fucking sense.
    So where do they live? I thought WB had huge issues around where resort staff and the labor pool sleeps at night.
    WB themselves do a good job on sustainability thanks to the Fitz Creek IPP (and legit waste reduction stuff), but it’s hilariously hypocritical of council to write that letter when the entire fucking town is dependent on rich people flying from around the world (extremely carbon intensive) and lower mainland S2S traffic (which I am a part of).

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Fuck. And cost of living must be pretty low. Meanwhile in Santa Cruz they pay cooks and servers minimum wage. As well as Safeway and Target. And then everyone wonders why the level
    Of service sucks.

Yeah, but then you're living in the western milwaukee suburbs. Wisconsin sucks, I should know, I grew up there.

You can get paid great money in Omaha and other midwestern metro areas too. The reason they offer such great salarys is because it sucks living there and the people are, by and large, hateful and garbage human beings. Hell, Benny (and from my experience, a handful of other TGR regulars) would fit right in.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of friends and family that still live there. But FUCK living in a place like that.

warehouse job you likely have to pass a whiz quiz & thats a multiple $/hr premium in the labor market.

What a crock of shit. Typical Canadian pandering to the french. The government froze the temporary foreign worker program handcuffing businesses who rely on labor from other countries, what hypocritical bullshit. Sorry English speaking travelers and temp workers, learn french or fuck off. Fuck.

didn't realize that canada gives foreign workers preference for speaking french. i used to deal with canadian customers frequently and I was always amazed at the few quebecois for whom english was still very much a second language. wild. the seven years war ended 350 years ago. kinda ridiculous for the national government to make BC and Alberta deal with that bullshit too.

on the other hand, moroccan food is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    kinda ridiculous for the national government to make BC and Alberta deal with that bullshit too.
    Hahaaaaa... Canadian political asshatery at its best. The Canadian version of Dave Rubin has a fun video on all this:

20% of canada speaks french, so if they imported french speaking Fugees they could just make them hang out with french people and not have to teach them English

needing French skills in BC is the last thing to worry about , I would stand a better chance of being hit by lightning

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    didn't realize that canada gives foreign workers preference for speaking french. i used to deal with canadian customers frequently and I was always amazed at the few quebecois for whom english was still very much a second language. wild. the seven years war ended 350 years ago. kinda ridiculous for the national government to make BC and Alberta deal with that bullshit too.

on the other hand, moroccan food is delicious.
    I bet the BC road signs with indigenous place names piss you off too.
    Not to mention people who speak Catalan.
    And whatever are the Swiss and the Belgians to do?
    You know, when it comes right down to it, why doesn't the whole world just speak English and get rid of all those other languages that we North Americans can't manage to learn how to speak anyways?