Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

California Rockin' n Rollin'

I find it odd that this is not being discussed.

Anyone? Bueller?

Just another day in the golden state?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I thought that was the DJ queing up...

Just jackrabbits out there.. Wait until it happens on the Hayward.

DDs mom fell off the couch again?
    watch out for snakes

Felt it in SD. Felt the bed moving, thought WTF then saw the door and blinds swinging wildly and got the fuck out. 38 flights of stairs and didn’t see a single other person. Met a small crowd outside that had all taken the elevators. Most folks didn’t budge. Maybe normal for the CA vets, but that shit rattled me.

Found out the weirdly angled sidewalk in the park next to the building follows a fault line. Cute.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

This old town is filled with sin
    It'll swallow you in
    If you've got some money to burn
    Take it home right away
    You've got three years to pay
    But Satan is waiting his turn

This old earthquake's gonna leave me in the poor house
    It seems like this whole town's insane
    On the thirty-first floor a gold plated door
    Won't keep out the Lord's burning rain

The scientists say
    It will all wash away
    But we don't believe any more
    'Cause we've got our recruits
    And our green mohair suits
    So please show your I.D. at the door

You're gonna loose your friend if they try to clean up the town.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

California Rockin' n Rollin'

I was in Ventura. More of a roller than a rattler....

The way we design and build buildings has changed since the last big ones came thru (1989/1994). These new high rises can handle over 3% of story drift in a large quake.... imagine being on the top floor of one of these 1000ft towers, with your pants down in the shitter, as the 8.0 hits and the building is swaying 30’ back and forth and you are getting slammed into the toilet partitions....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

So you are saying it's like when you go in the porta potty and your friends strap the door then tip it back and forth.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

The way we design and build buildings has changed since the last big ones came thru (1989/1994). These new high rises can handle over 3% of story drift in a large quake.... imagine being on the top floor of one of these 1000ft towers, with your pants down in the shitter, as the 8.0 hits and the building is swaying 30’ back and forth and you are getting slammed into the toilet partitions....

Oh yes, well versed in the swaying ability of high rises.

Road out 3 or 4 quakes in Seattle office buildings. Not fun. By far the worse experience was the inauguration day wind storm on January 20, 1993. Building was like a sapling in the wind. High density files rolling back and forth, my office door opening and closing, the sense of being sea-sick and by far the most alarming were the elevators swinging in the shaft crashing into the rails/walls as they ascended and descended. That did some real damage. Took them a over a week to get them all repaired.

Mother Nature, she's such a bitch!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Most of the state still has some very vulnerable dams, buildings, over passes etc.

I remember the bay bridge being closed for months? A year? Being in San Mateo all that east bay traffic had to use the SM bridge, it’s was insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Most of the state still has some very vulnerable dams, buildings, over passes etc.

I remember the bay bridge being closed for months? A year? Being in San Mateo all that east bay traffic had to use the SM bridge, it’s was insane.

A well known structural engineering professor who specialized in seismic design at one of the top UC’s famously refused to ever drive over the old Bay Bridge.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Made me think has anyone been on a lift during a quake?
    watch out for snakes

A well known structural engineering professor who specialized in seismic design at one of the top UC’s famously refused to ever drive over the old Bay Bridge.
    It collapsed behind my boss in 1989. He was one of the last cars off.

If the state is a rockin, don’t come knockin!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Man, I thought this thread was gonna be a concert/festival thread talking about all the killer music flowing through the state this summer...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Man, I thought this thread was gonna be a concert/festival thread talking about all the killer music flowing through the state this summer...
    High Sierra music festival live broadcast this weekend on kvmr.org

World fest live broadcast next weekend also on kvmr.org. Recommend attending (or volunteering) this one.

Also next weekend, Oregon country faire I’m veneta.

Yeah, this quake wasn't a huge story, because the only town close to the action, Ridgecrest, is a hole in the wall that most Californians don't even know exists. I was in Mammoth for a 6.0 a number of years ago, and that only barely made the news outside of the area. When we get a 7+ on the Hayward, or in greater LA, or (shudder) the San Andreas that's all of about 3 miles from where I'm sitting, it'll be a very different story.

We were in our tent at Sapphire Lake in the Evolution area of the Sierra when a moderate one hit in the Owens Valley. We looked nervously up at the steep talus field above us but it all stayed put.

We were excavating the hill side for a garage with our front deck support on a steel beam on cribbing over a 12 ft deep hole with the house itself on the very edge of the hole. I was in the house when a moderate one hit the Tahoe area. I was relieved it was just a quake and not my house starting to slide into the hole.

Old friend of ours was one of the original GG Bridge crew. He was on top of a tower in an earthquake. He said the movement was 40 feet. "There was them that was pukin' and them that was prayin'" is how he described it. Same thing happened the next day. A lot of guys didn't come back but he needed the money so he kept working. It was the depression. Later he was the first person to drive over the bridge. He and his buddies got drunk in Sausalito, got in a car, threw wooden planks over the unfinished section of the roadway and crossed to SF, throwing a dime in the toll basket when they reached the SF side.

I was in Fresno visiting my folks for the 4th. Didn't feel the first one while we were driving down, but felt the 7.1 for sure. Was feeding the dogs when the rolling started, opened the door to the garage to get into the doorframe. The van was solidly rocking forward and backwards in the garage. If we were parked any closer to the garage door, it would have beat the shit out of it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Like Bobz said, we got a pass with it being out by Ridgecrest. If that had happened in a big city, the outcome would have been different. Here is hoping San Diego County continues to have it's earthquakes out in the boonies too and not closer in to town.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    I was in Fresno visiting... for the 4th.]
    Vibes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Vibes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Hey, those rednecks have more and better illegal fireworks than we have up here in the people's republic of Davis. You can't set a thing off without the cops, Greenpeace, and PETA hit squads deploying to your door.

And my dad makes a damn fine brisket.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

You ate your dad?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    You ate your dad?
    "makes" is present tense. "made" would be troubling:

In the present tense, the forms (as listed on the charts above) would be:

I make, you make, he/she/it makes, we make, you make, they make