Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Squirrel in the house!

Looks like it came in through the chimney. Cats are amused but not much help. It's trapped in a spare bedroom. This room is used for storage so there's tons of furniture to hide under, that I'm really not wanting to move.

I bought a trap and have baited it with peanut butter and threw some nutella in there too.

Anything else I can be doing (besides calling professionals that know how to do this lol)?

This happened decades ago, and I ripped the house apart trying to chase the fucker. There's video iirc. Trying a slightly more passive approach.

After that first experience we had the chimney capped. I suppose it has been compromised.

Last edited by Thaleia; 07-05-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: EDIT - Is this Tech Talk

deadly trap or live trap? my family had to slaughter some flying squirrels that infested the attic when I was young. they LOVE peanut butter. that's all there is to it. Is it dead yet? the big rat traps will smash them flat and kill them instantly.

flying squirrels are apparently more common than regular squirrels in many states, but they're nocturnal so you don't see them

Live trap. Too much of a pansy to go all rambo on this thing. Although last time I had one inside I had it cornered so I grabbed its tail. It escaped, the tail didn't.

We had no trouble live trapping squirrels that ate a hole in our roof and were nesting in the attic. Check frequently though. One of our squirrels stayed in the trap too long as was near death when we released it and died right after. I still have disturbing mental images of that.

A cat followed one of the squirrels in and couldn't get out. We eventually heard it and let it out through the attic access door.

Another cat came in through the dog door and was hiding in a spare bedroom when someone closed the door. I think that cat was in there a couple of weeks. There were signs around the neighborhood and the owner asked me if I'd seen it. It was fine when we finally found it and let it out; only damage was some pee and poop.

And finally, Bob the mud turtle climbed out of its terrarium in my son's second story bedroom. A year later we got a cooler from the basement (door always closed, very steep stairs) and took it to get some ice. The guy who was selling us the ice asked my wife what to do with the turtle. Bob was very much alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

And finally, Bob the mud turtle climbed out of its terrarium in my son's second story bedroom. A year later we got a cooler from the basement (door always closed, very steep stairs) and took it to get some ice. The guy who was selling us the ice asked my wife what to do with the turtle. Bob was very much alive and well.
    thats pretty funny
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    We had no trouble live trapping squirrels that ate a hole in our roof and were nesting in the attic. Check frequently though. One of our squirrels stayed in the trap too long as was near death when we released it and died right after. I still have disturbing mental images of that.
    100%. I've got an wyze cam on it so I can monitor in real time. I guess when I leave for extended periods I'll remove the trap.

Hahaha. Had the exact same thing happen about 10 years ago. Popped the old heater duct cover off the old chimney and was bouncing around behind in the corner of the living room. I got up, saw what it was and how it got in and while I was wondering what to do (have some live traps for rats to possums) the old hound dog perked up. Hadn't seen him that excited in 5 years. I closed the doors to the rest of the house, opened the front door and said "get em Lucky!!" Dog chased that little critter right out the front door then stopped on the porch and looked back at me wagging his tail. Dog got steak for dinner that night :-)
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    100%. I've got an wyze cam on it so I can monitor in real time. I guess when I leave for extended periods I'll remove the trap.
    If you've closed off the hole it came in to the house through, and there's no other food in the room the trap should do the trick pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I closed the doors to the rest of the house, opened the front door and said "get em Lucky!!"

Awesome. But that's thing, last time this happened, we opened all the doors to the house and the little fucker would just run past the open door. I've got a video of us drunkenly tearing the house apart chasing it past open doors that I'm looking for.

Here's some (probably sideways) pics. You can see where it came in, it's path and some destruction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190705_122803.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	762.8 KB 
ID:	287769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190705_122814.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	906.8 KB 
ID:	287771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190705_122851.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	753.7 KB 
ID:	287772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190705_122855.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	677.6 KB 
ID:	287773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190705_122819.jpg 
Size:	834.4 KB 
ID:	287770

Here's some (probably sideways) pics. You can see where it came in, it's path and some destruction.

RUN AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

So a tree rat Grinched down your chimney and likes to look out your window and rage against beavers on your fkn table? And you ain't gone Ghost Warrior on his ass and dressed his stiff little corpse in doll clothes and hung him from your mantle as a warning to all who might follow?

Years ago I had to resort to .22 with birdshot for a flying squirrel that got in and wouldn’t leave. It perched on the shoulder of one of my wife’s favorite dresses hanging in the closet and accepted its fate bravely. And my wife never wore that dress again.
    Name:  Image1562349832.897305.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  221.4 KB

I fought a home invasion war for a couple of years after one nested in the attic. Live trap and execution of about 20 of the pests was the final solution and the coyotes loved me
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Are there no Maggot falconers?

A pack rat got into the crawl space of our cabin a few years back chewed through the car decking floor and and got inside the living space.

Most of his attention seemed to be spent on taking wooden spoons and spatulas from a pot on the counter dragging them to his hole to crawl space where he'd chew of the implement end of each before trying to take the now just doweling handle back down with him...

Got him in a big lethal rat trap set with peanut butter the first night of trying. His body was as big as my size 10 foot and the tail almost as.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I bought a trap and have baited it with peanut butter and threw some nutella in there too.

What, no jelly??? And crunchy PB is preferred.

You need one of those death laser balls.
    watch out for snakes

Some good advice right here:

The Sheriff is near!

We had a few birds come down the chimney in my parent's house. They had a glass door on the fireplace.
    The first we heard, and opened the door. Ash-y robin flew out, and tore around the house until we managed to catch it with a fishing net.
    The second, we heard and knew what it was before we opened the door. Prepped a large paper bag and caught it in the bag before it got out.

The third must have happened when we were out of town. We didn't notice until I opened the fireplace to make a fire at Christmas. Surprise mummified bird in the firebox.

Parents made sure to close the flue all the time after that. No more birds.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Bucket of death. You’ll need a bigger bucket than your standard mouse 5 gallon bucket. Had an infestation in the garage a few years ago, works like a charm. Filled my trash can a little more than half full with water, poured a bunch of bird seed in so it floats and covers the water, nice wooden ramp up to the top with a little bird seed trail. They just pile in. Got em All in less than 24 hours. Get some

Cobras'll get those squirrels.

Then you'll need mongooses (mongeese?) to get rid of the cobras.

Then Honey badgers to move those mongooses along.

And then .....

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Cobras'll get those squirrels.

Then you'll need mongooses (mongeese?) to get rid of the cobras.

Then Honey badgers to move those mongooses along.

And then .....
    No and then !

rent a Jack Russell Terrier

My daughter's got a pet chinchilla. We eventually learned that the best plan is to just leave the cage door open and wait for him to get hungry rather than trying to corner and catch him if he's out and about. It's common practice to let them out to cruise around the room a couple times a week. Only a problem if he's not going back when we need to leave the house, or he gets out of her room. Hasn't happened again in a few months now, but the first few weeks she had him were sketchy in that regard. We have a formerly feral cat and a pit bull so really important to not let him get out of her room.