Ticks on dogs, Frontline, or?

My 2 dogs keep picking up ticks in Colorado. I've used Frontline on my old girl before and it sort of worked. Amazon reviews make it sound like they switched the formula and it's no longer effective? What do you use, what works, what doesn't?

Ticks on dogs, Frontline, or?

We use nexgard chewable. He will still pick up ticks, they’ll desiccate on him. it’s kinda weird. But I have not found a live latched tick on him and no fleas since we started nexgard several years ago. It’s better than the oily frontline stuff that you can get on yourself or furniture. With the nexgard, he’ll still bring ticks into the house. Nothing like watching a deer tick walking across your counter.

I recommend getting your pet meds, esp. those that are systemic, from an authorized seller like a vet or pet store.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Vet told me they all work but if you don't eliminate the source of pest it's a losing battle.

My cats were bringing in 3 or more ticks a day. I treated them with a flea and tick product and that was that. They still go out and I can't control where the go so stuff must have worked without me physically changing the environment or I got lucky.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Nexgard for the summer tick months is the call
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I've had the best luck with seresto flea collars here in the NE.

Our dogs are on Bravecto. NexGard and Bravecto work the same way, the main advantage for Bravecto is it's a chewable that lasts for 3 months.

Nexgard is great, especially for frequent swimmers that may wash off or dilute Frontline before it can be fully absorbed.

Lots of options, Frontline is okay, but not working on fleas as well as it used to, Serasto collar still one of my favorites if your dog isnt a swimmer. I prefer to keep pesticides on the outside of the body. Nexguard if you want to go oral, just realize you are feeding your dog a pesticide monthly. How many of us would do that ourselves? Advantix is another good topical. All the tick options are more toxic then flea only meds, the little bastards are just harder to kill.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

We've had good luck w seresto (previous hutash tip, thx) collars

Seresto collars are what my dogs are wearing right now. They are working great. I've tried Nexguard, which worked well, but is very expensive. I've also tried Frontline, K9 Advantix, and Bio-Spot. My dogs have gotten Lymes Disease and or Anaplasmosis while on the topicals.

Hut, curious why Nexguard over Bravecto?

whats best for full time swimmers?

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Lots of options, Frontline is okay, but not working on fleas as well as it used to, Serasto collar still one of my favorites if your dog isnt a swimmer. I prefer to keep pesticides on the outside of the body. Nexguard if you want to go oral, just realize you are feeding your dog a pesticide monthly. How many of us would do that ourselves? Advantix is another good topical. All the tick options are more toxic then flea only meds, the little bastards are just harder to kill.
    I'd totally take a pill to avoid being bitten by mosquitos

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    We’ve switched to Nexguard a few years ago because none of the topical or collars worked. Have had zero issues with ticks or fleas since and our dog is in the water multiple times a week

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Fish don't get ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Hut, curious why Nexguard over Bravecto?
    In my rational, I would rather have a smaller dose in the dog that is good for a month than a large dose that may last 3 due to the possible side effects. I ordered a few of those collars and will report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

My brother uses lavender oil or oregano oil, diluted with distilled water, in a spray bottle. Before a walk, and after a swim he sprays them when they're dry, and swears by it's performance as a substitute for the harmful chems.
    I'm not sure how much he pays for the shit tho.

We recently switched to Revolution drops - covers heart worm in dogs too.

I used to use frontline for my dogs but switched to simparica since there is a stream down the block from our house and they are in the water pretty much every day. Don't have too many ticks here in UT but we travel a decent amount. I don't think I've ever seen a tick on either one, even when we are back in the midwest.