Gaia keeps stopping

I have gaia on my phone and when i record, the app keeps stopping, apparently when i lose temporarily the gps signal.
    Gaia says it's normal, and just restart the app when this happens!

Any other ideas, or what other Backcountry app i should use?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Same here on a Huawei P20. Worked flawlessly for skiing and mtn biking on my Google Pixel last year.

Backcountry Navigator for the win.

I had an issue with my huawei mate 9. All good now

I've had this problem with gaia too .. the bummer is that unless you keep checking your phone, there's no way to know it stopped until back to the truck and realize it stopped mid track. I dunno how to avoid it.

It adds another trinket, but consider a garmin that sync's with your phone? I have an inreach and it sync's to an app called earthmate (i think) which works great.
    Plus the SOS and communications capability make it worthwhile for me. Discussed at great length on the threads here.

But it is just one more thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    I've had this problem with gaia too .. the bummer is that unless you keep checking your phone, there's no way to know it stopped until back to the truck and realize it stopped mid track. I dunno how to avoid it.

It adds another trinket, but consider a garmin that sync's with your phone? I have an inreach and it sync's to an app called earthmate (i think) which works great.
    Plus the SOS and communications capability make it worthwhile for me. Discussed at great length on the threads here.

But it is just one more thing.
    Yeah, I'm using the inreach and it works great, i just like the maps that come with the gaia.

Dont know if i can use them with the earthmate app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Yeah, I'm using the inreach and it works great, i just like the maps that come with the gaia.

Dont know if i can use them with the earthmate app

Agreed, gaia has better maps.

There's no crossover to earthmate that I know of .. but I downloading the maps to earthmate was easy. Maybe not as good as gaia, but more than passible for all things I've needed.
    Also interesting to get home and compare tracks from gaia and earthmate. Generally mine have been really close.

I have a habit of closing all open apps on my phone, so I'll take a picture then habitually close everything before putting up my phone and accidentally close gaia. Nice that inReach keeps recording if I do that to earthmate.

A little OT, but another cool site is https://caltopo.com. No app just a site. It's handy for different UTM/NAD systems and customizable grid sizes. Login and save maps. I've printed maps off this site in exactly the grid size / system I need.

When I was considering a Huawei, I read their custom OS aggressively shuts down background processes including gps tracking apps. Fuck them anyways, for not providing bootloader unlocking codes.

When I was considering a Huawei, I read their custom OS aggressively shuts down background processes including gps tracking apps. Making it a system app if you have root might help, but the fuckers stopped giving bootloader unlock codes.