Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    A typical 2500/3000 sf home with a 200amp service would need a 11/12KVA genset if you chose to run AC/Electric Dryer/Ovens/Cooktop (not simultaneously). Eliminate the 240v requirement and 5/7KVA will run most everything. Having/not having a well water pump will force your voltage decision.

Paying close attention to kitchen/bath outlets and lighting in common areas or rooms the fam will sequester in while street power is out will help determine size. Isolate the must haves - hot water circulating pumps/heat pumps, boiler fans are typically not 240v in single residence.

11KVA GENERAC Stationary Genset with a sound attenuating box goes for about 2400$ wholesale (3100$-15KVA). Easy enough to drop some gravel and dunnage or frame and poor a pad. AutoSwitch by a licensed Electrician (near metropolis) max 2k$; dependent on how much copper he needs to run from your panel/sub-panel setup to the genset. Major autoswitch components come with the genset.

Propane in an underground storage tank (below the freeze-line) solves the ambient temp of the fuel except keeping warm the supply line the last few feet above and below grade at the genset (heat tape).

Some propane suppliers will do in-ground tanks (free) with extended fuel purchase contracts. Or at least a substantial kick-in (including the tank of course) with other contract types.

If you choose to drop your own tank, enabling you to buy "rack" or "off-the-rack" (cheapest today) fuel?

Some states have laws that bar private ownership (protecting the fuel barons) of underground storage tanks. There is a workaround for that. pm if you ntn.

Rack Pricing can be 25% less and can total your up front effort/cost fast.

All the above holds true for diesel too.

A new roof is pretty much a given with a solar panel installation or live with the consequences.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Thx Gepeto — good info

We have natural gas in, boiler fires hot water etc. anyone have experience with the inline natural gas generators? I’m thinking just enough to run boiler pumps and kitchen circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Jeezo ...... this all getting too messy. I'm opting out for a mini-thorium reactor.

The GENERAC Unit mentioned above is gas burning and comes with the gas plumping you ask for.

Natural Gas is slightly cheaper to run 103000 BTUs per unit vs propane at 91000 (#2 heatingoil/diesel 132000/139000). Most heating oil is just diesel with red dye these days.

Utility provided gas is a quick setup if you know someone handy with a pipe threading machine rentable at Big Box. Just need a backflow preventer/diaphragm and some 3/4" black pipe.

Even if you paid a plumber $500. You completely skip the tank acquisition and installation. Never need to worry about how much is in the tank.

NG is ideal
    Last edited by Gepeto; 07-06-2019 at 01:04 AM.
    ​I am not in your hurry

I have two of those 11 kw Generac units running on natural gas and they have been trouble free and cheap to maintain. we have them on smart circuits that only power selected circuits when it transfers. Very good systems imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post

A new roof is pretty much a given with a solar panel installation or live with the consequences.
    Biggest long term issue right here, 50-100 roof penetrations that are not easily serviceable, equal consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Biggest long term issue right here, 50-100 roof penetrations that are not easily serviceable, equal consequences.
    I thought the best idea was to rip roof and cut plywood, mount solar direct to roof rafters, re plywood, shingle, install panels. This way to replace roof all you do is remove panels, roof, put panels back.

I know way pricey, but I've read the best way is this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

A hybrid tower keeps the roof intact.
    watch out for snakes