Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home made ice cream

Eggs or no eggs? What’s your recipe.

Don't eggs make it a custard?

I have been this close to buying an ice cream maker. Maybe some will chime in on good ones.
    Lurkin'.

My FIL is an ice cream master. He uses a ton of eggs and a ton of cream. I'll see if I can find the recipe.

Mixes everything up in the KitchenAid ice cream attachment. I prefer it right when it's done and is barely frozen, so it's super soft.

I love homemade ice cream and have made many different recipes both with eggs and without eggs. My favorite ice cream recipe vanilla bean ice cream by Alton Brown and does not use eggs. Aside from tasting great it doesn't get hard as a rock after the first night.

I make a couple of different kinds of ice cream--mostly custard based gelato with lots of eggs. My favorite is vanilla, with two vanilla beans, that's expensive gelato. Sadly, after years of making ice cream and gelato I have come to the conclusion, as I have for a number of other dishes, that it makes more sense to buy it. We do make grapefruit and lemon sorbet--you can't buy those and we have a huge supply of lemons and grapefruit.

All the years growing up my folks made ice cream and never once recall using eggs. Used a lot of different fruits. Mostly done using an electric maker.

Mmmmmmmm, ice cream.
    watch out for snakes

Eggs definitely make a difference.....

I think I've posted this here before, but I've got one of these:

We had one at home when I was a kid, and I got one when I had my own place. I only use it once a year or so, and always promise myself I'll use it more the next year, but never seem to manage. It'll make its annual appearance on Thursday. When my parents decided they were moving to the KitchenAid, they gave me the motor attachment, so at least it's easier if I take that route. That motor is LOUD.

I generally opt for the Alton Brown recipe - the one with the little bit of peach preserves. Always goes over really well. I've done the French style (custard-based) before, too. It just depends on how complicated I feel like making the process.

Our friends have a vintage White Mountain hand crank ice cream maker. Probably 75 years old at this point. It's their annual Independence Day pot luck item - Strawberry Custard. They get the young kids to help crank since it takes about 45 minutes to make a few gallons.

Philly style is no eggs. Most other recipes use eggs. If I remember correctly, removing the eggs came down to cost savings, and the advent of thickeners and commercial processing machines, but there's probably more to it. I much prefer custard-based, with as much cream as possible to maximize fat content. If it's richer and more flavorful, you can get away with less sugar.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've made chocolate ice cream a few different ways over the years some with eggs and some without. My favorite chocolate based ice cream was I added malt powder. Tasted similar to a chocolate malt, which was fantastic.

I also made strawberry ice cream with no eggs and it used a little vodka to help keep it softer after storage.

thanks for the ideas all, the alton brown recipe looks easy enough for me to do while drinking whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Philly style is no eggs. Most other recipes use eggs. If I remember correctly, removing the eggs came down to cost savings, and the advent of thickeners and commercial processing machines, but there's probably more to it. I much prefer custard-based, with as much cream as possible to maximize fat content. If it's richer and more flavorful, you can get away with less sugar.
    Except true gelato uses milk and no eggs, IIRC, and it's somehow rich, creamy and delicious. I don't know how the Italians pull off that wizardry.

I made cinnamon ice cream once. I quickly realized that making ice cream was the highway to fatdom.
    Hello darkness my old friend

During the winter, "hut ice cream" is pretty easy and good. Need fresh powder though.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

mmmm ice cream

We have been making ice cream at home the last few months.. Fresh it's just so much better. I've done both custard based and non. I like flipping the cream to milk content to have a bit less milk fat.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Damn, I love ice cream and we got an ice cream maker at a shower 30 years ago. I never used it and always wonder what it would be like.
    BTW, if you want good gelato from the supermarket, Talenti is pretty damned good-I recommend chocolate peanut butter or coconut almond chocolate.
    On sale at Shop Rite every few weeks for $2.88/pint.

and OG, custard based vanilla gelato sounds yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    BTW, if you want good gelato from the supermarket, Talenti is pretty damned good-I recommend chocolate peanut butter or coconut almond chocolate.
    Talenti is delicious AF, but it's not gelato. Pure marketing, they use eggs. True gelato is full-fat milk, sugar, flavorings, and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Except true gelato uses milk and no eggs, IIRC, and it's somehow rich, creamy and delicious. I don't know how the Italians pull off that wizardry.
    I have a good gelato book. It has both custard and non-egg recipes. The custard ones work a lot better. With home equipment it's very hard to avoid having some ice crystals in the non-egg variety, although I've gotten close. I make a coconut gelato occasionally, with corn starch as a thickener; adding alcohol--I use Disaronno-also reduces crystals. The other problem is that gelato is kept at a warmer temperature than your average home freezer; using a home freezer makes for hard gelato with ice crystals, which is why packaged gelato like Talenti has to cheat. Who cares though, as long as it tastes good.

BOOM!!! It’s going down

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA486FBB-13CA-4468-886D-98906FD65D75.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	631.3 KB 
ID:	287538

Charlie approves

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I have a good gelato book. It has both custard and non-egg recipes. The custard ones work a lot better. With home equipment it's very hard to avoid having some ice crystals in the non-egg variety, although I've gotten close. I make a coconut gelato occasionally, with corn starch as a thickener; adding alcohol--I use Disaronno-also reduces crystals. The other problem is that gelato is kept at a warmer temperature than your average home freezer; using a home freezer makes for hard gelato with ice crystals, which is why packaged gelato like Talenti has to cheat. Who cares though, as long as it tastes good.
    Gotta side with Butters here, true gelato is milk based, with no eggs. It might be a good book and a great resource, but what you're cranking out ain't gelato if it has eggs in it. It manages to be so "rich, creamy and delicious" because it has less air in it than ice cream.

But given we're talking about ice cream here, it's all fucking delicious. Make it any way you damn well please, and I'll eat it like it's my last meal. I hardly ever buy it to keep at home, because it's more fun to have five or six 1500 calorie, four scoop waffle cones a year than it is to have a reasonably sized bowl once a week.

I made some basil & vanilla ice cream last summer and it was delicious
    Our friend that was visiting almost didn't try any bc he was freaked out about the basil but then gave it 2 thumbs up

my grandparents were antique dealers so they had a cool old ice cream wooden pail and churn -and odd timing as it is, we would always make ice cream on christmas
    skid luxury