Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have a janky thule on the roof for skis or other gear. i worry it may fall off at 90mph and go through someone else's windshield, but it's safer than skis in the car and I have a liability umbrella anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Eek!

Did the skis just launch forward like torpedoes?
    (And how did the skis hit someone in the back?!?)
    yep.

A bunch of 6 foot long knives end up doing a lot of damage in a wreck.

A friend gave CPR to one of them while paramedics took 30 minutes to get to them.

Skis punctured seatback.

Maybe get a roof box/rack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    A hatchback? JS is moving up to the A7, great choice, enjoy!
    Sorry to disappoint, heh, just the VW take on that general design.
    Hard to justify spending 2x the price for what is kind of a 20% better car, plus any sort of "status" badge is a drawback for my mindset.
    Swinging it back to the original topic (of sorts), I've still been saving all these years a 1991 ad by Subaru that includes:
    "And if it [a car] improves your standing with the neighbors, then you live among snobs with distorted values."
    I also still have this in my paper files:
    https://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/15/b...-mystique.html

Also swinging it back to Subaru, VW trim lines (and most other car companies too) definitely make me appreciate Subaru pricing even more, since you generally pay for only what you want with a Subaru, whereas VW (ditto for most other car companies) bundles together features I want with others I'd rather forego.

Speaking of appreciating Subaru even more, I also looked into the Opel take on that general design ("Insignia" hatchback), but unfortunately the Buick badge engineering is a drawback in many ways.
    If you can set aside this hilarity:
    https://buickforums.com/forums/threa...k-shame.47425/
    ... then Buick still feels like such a sinking ship in general.
    Plus Buick clearly has no interest in selling this model, as it's just a contractual leftover from before GM sold Opel to Peugeot.
    And my local dealer for warranty service has a future that hardly inspires confidence: only 23 new vehicles for sale, and when I happened to drive by it the other day, the vast empty lot conveyed a sense of decline from better years, as show in the satellite image below.
    (By contrast, our local Subaru dealer has expanded like crazy since we moved here in 2006.)

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  209.5 KB
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    [...]Skis punctured seatback.[...]
    That terrifies me as much as an avalanche.

Fortunately, my skimo race skis are too weak to puncture a seatback.
    Just kidding -- I think?

Definitely a good wake-up call not to be casual about carrying gear inside the passenger compartment.
    I think carrying skis tips forward, strapped together, would help?
    And keep poles in the cargo area, not in the pass-through.
    Will also investigate ways to hold down the skis too.

(Okay, now time to go off on a really safe road bike ride, ugh...)

Or just put the fuckers on the roof like everyone else in the developed world.

C'mon adrenalated, dentists only put their skis and their bicycles in the trunk of their Mercedes or BMW. We can't have dirt on our shiny toys.

Denver Subaru Transmission advice?

JS - I had the same Subaru as you did (or similar) for a time. I loved the pass through design cuz it was mostly just me and I bought a fat and padded ski travel bag that might help with any crash scenario but definitely help with messes.

I’ve always been from a Subaru family and owned Audis for a few years. Audis had lots of issues from my experience that did not make them worth owning.

I sold the subie around 100k due to all the issues moved to a Toyota 4Runner and have almost 120k miles on it and it’s been pretty trouble free.

I know not your wife’s choice but thought I’d mention it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    C'mon adrenalated, dentists only put their skis and their bicycles in the trunk of their Mercedes or BMW. We can't have dirt on our shiny toys.
    "Yeah, my skis might fucking impale me, but at least they're clean."

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Can skip the tetanus shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post

As far as alternatives for the Impreza for my wife, what would you suggest for a sedan (yes, sedan, not hatchback or wagon or SUV or crossover -- she's insistent upon that), in a comparable size class (she doesn't like bigger cars, even the current generation Legacy), with comparable rear seat legroom, and AWD of course.
    If she insists on a precisely Impreza-sized sedan, then you are stuck with an Impreza. If there is any reasonable flexibility, then, in addition to the Mazda 3 previously mentioned:

Nissan Altima
    Ford Fusion
    Acura TLX
    Lexus IS
    Mazda 6
    Buick Regal
    Kia Stinger

Or, since other practical considerations like a crossover SUV and a roof box seem to be off the table: how about a Dodge Challenger? Rear seat folds down so you can put skis or spears or other instruments of impalement inside.

https://www.tflcar.com/2019/02/dodge...gt-awd-review/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Some of those models were under consideration (sort of), but some are just more of the same compared to Subaru.
    For our needs, a crossover is pretty much all about impracticality.
    And don't dentists drive around all year with a ski rack so everyone can know they are SKIERS?

Following for the beta on subi service in denver/ jefferson
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    pretty much.

currently my bike is the impaler of choice.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Denver Subaru Transmission advice?

I question the length of skis that can fit inside a Mazda 3. Also, what about the smaller Toyotas besides the Lexus IS?

Fwiw, I had an older Altima for a few years. I drove it to 155k miles before we sold it. It was bulletproof. Also had an older legacy wagon at that time. With blizzaks, I enjoyed driving it more in Sierra winter road conditions compared to the subi with same tires because it had better handling (of course it struggled a bit when on the gas in very slick roads compared to the subi). I put an “awd” decal on the back, and never had issues with the state. I used the pass-through impaling hole for ski carrying. Could carry 138 width 192 length skis no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Following for the beta on subi service in denver/ jefferson
    Mobile Mechanics in Golden.

Follow up....took a week longer than they said to get back to me but: "Subaru will be covering this repair at the dealer as a goodwill gesture"....fix transmission will take about a week; 101,900 miles on it when actually died.....basically I talked to Subaru of America on the phone to start...a couple of polite, "nice" summary letters documenting the course of the road trip timing etc...they could tell I was original owner etc.....ANYWAY Subaru stepped up and will fix this technically a little out of warranty.....realistically makes sense, but REALLY happy they did the right/decent thing FYI!!! Chet

Congrats, glad to hear that!