Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,679

    Can I extend my '16 Pike to 150mm?

    Have a 2016 Pike RCT3 with sag markings for 130 and 140 mm. Running it at 140 now. Is there any reason I can't just get a 150 mm air shaft and extend that thing a little? Figured for $20 it'd be worth a try versus dropping $500 on a new fork just to gain 10 mm of travel.

    Y'all know these things, so I'm asking
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

    Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    8530' MST/200' EST
    Posts
    2,539
    Yes, all pikes are convertible to any travel. I believe 120-160 on all 29 and 27.5 models. you won't get the correct sag meter readings, and you'll want to reference a token chart to make sure you keep the same characteristics but go for it.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,499
    Yup. It's an easy swap. Anyone with a moderate amount of bike mechanicing abilities should be able to do it in 20-30 minutes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,679
    Word! So pumped. Have swapped between 130-140 before but wasn't sure if the uppers would support extending further. Psyched!!

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

    Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Summit County
    Posts
    309
    good to know. gonna do the same. thx for posting info!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,500
    Just tossing this in here, but if you're going to change the air spring you should upgrade to the debonair kit. I'm not even sure if the standard one is still available, but I just did the debonair upgrade and small bump sensitivity is MUCH better.

    Seth

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Just tossing this in here, but if you're going to change the air spring you should upgrade to the debonair kit. I'm not even sure if the standard one is still available, but I just did the debonair upgrade and small bump sensitivity is MUCH better.

    Seth
    100% agree, did it to my Lyrik this April and its a noticeable improvement

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Wilds of Maine
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Just tossing this in here, but if you're going to change the air spring you should upgrade to the debonair kit. I'm not even sure if the standard one is still available, but I just did the debonair upgrade and small bump sensitivity is MUCH better.

    Seth
    I looked into it... I had added a Vorsprung Luftkappe last year and folks were going back and forth about which was a better upgrade, but given how similar they seem it didn't seem worth investing in the Debonair kit.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

    Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,830
    Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    I looked into it... I had added a Vorsprung Luftkappe last year and folks were going back and forth about which was a better upgrade, but given how similar they seem it didn't seem worth investing in the Debonair kit.
    The Debonair kit is the airspring. You get the 150mm version to get 150mm of travel. Are you talking about the rear?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The Debonair kit is the airspring. You get the 150mm version to get 150mm of travel. Are you talking about the rear?
    They released new airsprings with larger negative chambers (debonair) for the forks last year, anything 2018 forward has them I think, so any airspring you get now should have the debonair.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    They released new airsprings with larger negative chambers (debonair) for the forks last year, anything 2018 forward has them I think, so any airspring you get now should have the debonair.
    That's a much clearer way to say it, thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •