Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    My only thing to add is that I could never get over how dry it was in SE Idaho. Spring would come and folks would comment how green the hills were and I'm like no that is brown. Did grad school in Pocatello, taught a few labs in IF. IF seemed fine but boring. Poky is a bit funkier and better mtb/skiing near town but not sure what you would be willing to commute.
    I'm interviewing in Pocatello now. Will either live there instead or commute to there

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I spent my teen years in Idaho. I was on the city tennis team, and we dominated country and racquet club those days. That said, while I could play with those guys in practice, we weren't allowed to play with the Mormon kids outside the Y hours. Nice kids to us, but I wouldn't want my kid growing up in that.

Try Snakebite Cafe when you're in town.

My only thing to add is that I could never get over how dry it was in SE Idaho. Spring would come and folks would comment how green the hills were and I'm like no that is brown. Did grad school in Pocatello, taught a few labs in IF. IF seemed fine but boring. Poky is a bit funkier and better mtb/skiing near town but not sure what you would be willing to commute.
    I don't think I ever saw a brown Spring in my many years of living there. It does dry up quick though, but plenty of green places in the mountains and riparian zones throughout the summer. And ag fields, ha. After living in Arkansas for 3 years I craved that dryness. But yes, dry and dusty is the norm Cdubmpdx so be prepared for that.

When were you at ISU, and more importantly did you participate in the Biology / Geology kegoff? Lots of drunken fun at those....

Pebble Creek offers some decent skiing
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I have an ex-gf that moved there. I must have scarred her pretty bad.

Spent a few weeks in IF for work over the years and it always seems more tolerable than the immutable Boise. Food is surprisingly variable: I now make it a point to stop there for the Thai. But I can't recall finding good Mexican--or anything late at night. Mormons' effect on good coffee may be their biggest downside.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I don't think I ever saw a brown Spring in my many years of living there. It does dry up quick though, but plenty of green places in the mountains and riparian zones throughout the summer. And ag fields, ha. After living in Arkansas for 3 years I craved that dryness. But yes, dry and dusty is the norm Cdubmpdx so be prepared for that.

When were you at ISU, and more importantly did you participate in the Biology / Geology kegoff? Lots of drunken fun at those....
    I got my MS in geology in 2010 and enjoyed it, including the keg-off. The green of the hills is all relative I guess. I grew up in VT where the green is everywhere, similar to the PNW. But I guess the OP said they used to live in eastern WA so should be used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Pebble Creek offers some decent skiing

Is that the place that was bought by the youtube family? How did that work out? Are they still running it?

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Sandy, UT. According to my wife, who grew up Mormon, Utah and Idaho have the same flavor of Mormons. Most other places they are a big minority so they are mellower.
    Man, my experience growing up in neighboring CH wasn't like this.

I got my MS in geology in 2010 and enjoyed it, including the keg-off. The green of the hills is all relative I guess. I grew up in VT where the green is everywhere, similar to the PNW. But I guess the OP said they used to live in eastern WA so should be used to it.
    Certainly understand the green perspective if you are coming from VT! I finished grad school in 2003 so missed you by a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c
    Is that the place that was bought by the youtube family? How did that work out? Are they still running it?
    Yes they are as far as I know. They are an LDS family as I understand it. I haven't skied there in quite a while, need to get back and hook up with some old ski buddies one of these days. The place was always quirky but fun. They used to sell one time lift rides to access the backcountry for $5. We would ride up, ski the backside, and usually get a few runs on the front late in the day when they weren't checking tickets if our legs were up for it.

I would ride up with people bitching about the icy, crappy, rocky conditions on the front and chuckle to myself thinking of all the northside pow we had been lapping that day. The front can be really fun as well if they get a good snow year.

Anybody live in or have experience with Idaho Falls

FWIW - a good friend and I stopped to ski Pebble Creek just outside Pokey on a Thursday after a 2 ft. dump a couple years ago.

Half day ticket was $20, and the lifts had been closed for three days midweek.

It was the best skiing for the lowest cost I’ve ever experienced. Heard the lift accessed touring was great too, but we didn’t need to leave the ski area that day.

Also, my take on little Idaho towns is that they are basically stuck in the 1950s.... sometimes in comical ways.

I will always enjoy visiting McCall or Stanley in central Idaho... and I’d choose Victor over Driggs if I lived on the east side of the state.

If you want to ski Teton pass, the drive from Victor over to Swan Valley and to Idaho Falls is about 1:15 in good weather ... tack on another 30-40 minutes to make Pocatello.

Then again, Pocatello’s cost of living has to be quite lower than just about anywhere, and the drive to the Utah resorts is just a couple hours...

Quote Originally Posted by spudbumkin View Post
    I grew up skiing at Kelly Canyon and it was fun as a kid. It certainly lacks when compared to Targhee and the Village, especially now that the current owner's are devout and don't want you to ski on Sunday, but it got me started and I don't regret it one bit. IF is fine, the locals don't care if you are of their faith or not, outdoor recreational opportunities are excellent and the crowds are manageable. People are generally friendly and respectful. I think most people would be happy living there.
    We were in IF last winter and skied Targee on Saturday, and then were going to go to Kelley on Sunday, and in the morning randomly called the snow report to see how much they had gotten overnight, and was totally blown away, stunned in disbelief, to find they were closed on a Sunday, We still talk about that.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Wife get a job at INL? We're over in Driggs, and we love it here. South Eastern Idaho is a political and religious extension of Utah, hell they settled the place. We came from SLC and found the Mormons here less intense. Avoid Rexburg
    Same here, we moved from SLC but we are in Tetonia and this comment nails it on the head for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    I'm interviewing in Pocatello now. Will either live there instead or commute to there
    Early season we'll mtb Pocatello a lot, great views of the women's prison.
    They need to change their city slogan to: Pocatello... we got poca-tential!

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Early season we'll mtb Pocatello a lot, great views of the women's prison.
    They need to change their city slogan to: Pocatello... we got poca-tential!
    the gay guy my wife lived with when we first began dating called it "Poc-a-fellow."

IF, where to start. I moved there and gave it a fair shake for almost 2 years before relocating to Victor. Yes its central to a shitton of recreation but I found I was spending all of my time at said recreation in order to get out of IF.

I wouldn't raise a kid there, the LDS folks are nice enough but super cliquey and there will be weird pressures on your kid.

The cost of living appeal is quickly drying up as town grows, the urban sprawl isn't Boise but it still sucks.

All that said there is a small underground contingent of cool outdoorsy folks that get after it. It makes for long day trips to the Ghee but it is doable. It's super windy 9 months out of the year, lifted trucks and truck nuts are still popular. It is what you make of it. There's actually 2 good mexican places and that's about it for eats.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    and to not fuck up the new installations at INL. I want these to work.
    Tell us folks downwind what that means. I like plutonium free powder.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Tell us folks downwind what that means. I like plutonium free powder.
    I don’t think you need to worry about being downwind of a new supercomputer...
    https://www.postregister.com/news/pr...dcdb36d03.html

^huh.

the lost rivers are an amazing range.

can't stop whats coming.

Plutonium free powder was a rally cry for peeps in JH some years ago. I wasn’t harshing on INEL. It brings a lot of normality to IF.

Actually, a few years back, I got a VIP tour of the facility. I spent a full day with the Director. Flat out, one of the coolest things I’ve ever done in my life. We went into four or so different reactors. Water soaked glowing rods and everything. Watched incinerators, etc, and other crazy stuff. Really cool learning experience.

I’m In the Falls every month or so. It’s not that bad. Over the years, we’ve met many people from there, and they all say navagating the Mormons is difficult but not impossible.

All say it’s hard on their children.

One thing to keep in mind. Having been visiting the balls for close to thirty years, I’m amazed by the *explosive* growth taking place. Every new neighborhood has a Mormon temple in it.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

^^ You have every right to be concerned about INL. After all, it is the site where two workers died in a reactor explosion and had to be buried in lead coffins.

Edit: it was three workers who died.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Just left Boise after years in PDX and it is a huge culture shock even in “the big city.” It’s not even the politics of it, but the general attitude.

I found it really frustrating to try and work out there because everything moves so fucking slow and most of the people like it that way. Everything is done they way it’s always been done without much thought about making it better.

I also found that people were nice enough and generous to people they knew personally, but don’t give a fuck about services, infrastructure and anything that’s “greater good” sort of stuff. If you move there not knowing anyone you’ll be on your own. The racism and sexism and all that isn’t necessarily overt like Northern Idaho, but there’s a strong undercurrent of it everywhere.
    Seems to be the consensus with Boise. People read about how great it is on a bunch of top 10 lists, move here, and then want it to change. Long time locals liked what it was but not what it is turning into.
    Turns out we're now falling out of the top 10 lists because we can't keep up with the infrastructure, housing, etc. from all the people moving here and the new people don't like it. Plus, property value is up a lot and along with that, property taxes to try to keep up with the infrastructure people expect. My property taxes are now $100 more per month than I paid in a year when I bought my house (property value up 300%, taxes up 1200%). My commute is three times as long, bike trails are crowded, pow is skied off in an hour when it used to last at least a day, and some of my favorite restaurants now require mid week reservations to get a table. Friends that have been saving for years to buy a house can't because they are competing with out of state equity cash buys and can't get a house. Friends who rent are having a hard time finding places to rent. Weird that the long timers are not always super outgoing to new comers. I try but it's tough to look at how things are changing. "Should have been here yesterday" is a quote that often comes to mind. I get that people who want a certain lifestyle have every right to pursue it here, but I don't have to be happy with my lifestyle changing to accommodate. Not much I can do to change it though.

I liked it 5-10 years ago. Now, I have to try to find the silver lining. So yeah, I like it the ways you didn't. No offense meant to you...just an observation. Always two sides to the coin.

I'm assuming that is the case for a lot of towns seeing an influx of migration.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post

I liked it 5-10 years ago. Now, I have to try to find the silver lining. So yeah, I like it the ways you didn't. No offense meant to you...just an observation. Always two sides to the coin.
    None taken. I really liked Boise (still do). Our move into and out of Boise was driven by family and work scenarios, not by wanting to leave the area.

The rest of Idaho was frustrating in many ways outlined above.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    ^^ You have every right to be concerned about INL. After all, it is the site where two workers died in a reactor explosion and had to be buried in lead coffins.

Edit: it was three workers who died.
    What is the point of this comment? That they are covering up a whole bunch of conspiracies there or something? INL only improves IF by bringing in some normalcy and critical thinking.

I bought a used car off the director a couple years back during a divorce he went through. To say he was fastidious about maintenance and keeping it in tip top shape would be an understatement, on a 10 year old car even. I highly doubt he is playing fast and loose with nuclear reactors which are his bread and butter.

The plutonium free powder stickers are still out and about. I don't think they are naturally as out there mentally as chem trail people but its close. I really get a kick out em when I see them on rusty Taco's during the spring exodus down in Moab.
    Live Free or Die