Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 46 of 46
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    10,384
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    Never waded the flats, definitely going to hire a guide at least one day. Recs on a solid all around 8wt one hander?
    I have an 8-wt St Croix that I bought in Gear Swap from Bozeman mag sledski. It is pretty nice. I use at my Mom's place for bass/pike/musky.

    I also have an 8-wt Sage that is super nice. It casts a lot further than the St Croix. This summer, after I fucked up and lost the tip section on my 5-wt on the Blackfoot, I put a 7-wt line on it and used it as my primary rod. Dibbs borrowed it quite a bit when we fished the Missouri this summer. He seemed to like it.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Presidio
    Posts
    1,441
    Willing to drop some loot, mid-higher priced rod as It should serve double or triple duty.

    Most of my tackle rods are st. croix, never fished one for their fly rods

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,148

    One Fly Setup To Rule Them All

    St. Croix has recently axed most of their fly rod lineup. They are only making the Mojo (bass) and Imperial (not good) anymore. Old models are not covered under warranty anymore either.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    a poop plant
    Posts
    3,015
    I have this:
    https://www.reelflyrod.com/redington...YaAtBCEALw_wcB

    Bought it for bones, steelhead and bass. I've only used for bones once (skunked), steelhead once (skunked) and bass a bunch (not skunked). I like it, but I'd say the Orvis Clearwater I use to borrow from my dad was tiny bit better. But more that twice the price.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    St. Croix has recently axed most of their fly rod lineup. They are only making the Mojo (bass) and Imperial (not good) anymore. Old models are not covered under warranty anymore either.
    Completely sucks!!! I just broke my beloved Bank Robber and they are sending me the very last Bank Robber they have as a warranty replacement.
    For that very reason I would go with Sage. Check out the Motive, it is mid priced Salt Water Rod that hucks streamers very well. I have it in a 7, 9 and 12 and they are all money! I highly recommend. And if you break it they arent getting out of the fly rod business.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The bottom of LCC
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    Never waded the flats, definitely going to hire a guide at least one day. Recs on a solid all around 8wt one hander?
    Redington Vice. Cheap, durable, reviews say it cast very similar to the much more expensive Sage X. I wouldn't know, I own a few Vice but have never cast an X but I really like the Vice. I have a 4, 6 and 8.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    8,067
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    So I will be going to the Bahamas for a wedding in January, staying on the NE side of Great Exuma and will be tacking a few days on for free roam. I think this is my opportunity to grow the quiver, catching bones on the flats looks like a great time and I would love to add a rod that can double for steelhead/swinging streamers.

    Does this rod exist? Was thinking like an 8 or 9 weight switch?
    Go cast a few 8wts. Based on this: https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...rod-comparison
    I bought the TFO BVK for my travel striper/salt/streamer/whatever bigger fish rod and its a pleasure to cast and chucks line and big flies a long with ease and accuracy.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Presidio
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Go cast a few 8wts. Based on this: https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...rod-comparison
    I bought the TFO BVK for my travel striper/salt/streamer/whatever bigger fish rod and its a pleasure to cast and chucks line and big flies a long with ease and accuracy.
    I've casted the 5wt BVK and loved it, had some serious backbone and felt like more of a 6wt with the way it could punch through wind. It's definitely on my list for this application.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    I've casted the 5wt BVK and loved it, had some serious backbone and felt like more of a 6wt with the way it could punch through wind. It's definitely on my list for this application.
    My last piece of advice. Once you get your setup put together. Practice, practice, practice. Being accurate from 40 to 60 feet in the wind is CRUCIAL!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    8,504
    I really like my TFO TiCrX, which is replaced by the Axiom II-X, similar in price, (and looks), of the Sage Motive. Donít forget the line as well. I replaced all my lines to the newer textured style lines, and it made a huge difference. Donít go cheap on the line, as on a percentage basis, it might make a bigger difference. Anyway, try some rods.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Presidio
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    My last piece of advice. Once you get your setup put together. Practice, practice, practice. Being accurate from 40 to 60 feet in the wind is CRUCIAL!
    I just tore my meniscus so won't be skiing for at least a few months if at all this winter, plenty of time to go practice casting.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I just broke my beloved Bank Robber and they are sending me the very last Bank Robber they have as a warranty replacement.
    Weird. I know multiple people who got denied on their bank robber warranty like a month ago.

    Back on topic, my newest 8wt is an Orvis H3, and holy shit is that an awesome fishpole. Not cheap tho.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Weird. I know multiple people who got denied on their bank robber warranty like a month ago.

    Back on topic, my newest 8wt is an Orvis H3, and holy shit is that an awesome fishpole. Not cheap tho.
    It was really weird, I called and they told me I was shit out of luck but send it in and they would send me the new crap rod they have, I figured it was better than a sharp stick in the eye so I sent it in. Got a call from them yesterday saying they had one left and it was mine if I wanted. HELL YES I WANT IT! was my response.
    I am jealous of your H3, I have heard nothing but amazing things about them. I need to get a little more HUGE before I can get one of those, that and I dont have the Orvis hookup like I do with the Bainbridge folks
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Eagle River Alaska
    Posts
    10,957
    Echo glass 9' 6wt hands down. There's no question.

    First off, glass lets you really master casting, is super easy for beginners to get out a roll cast, etc. Second it's super bendy, meaning a 6" fish bends it yet I regularly land 20" fish with mine, no problem. If I lived in the lower 48 I'd fish this rod 95% of the time (I fish it 60% of the time here)
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1
    Theres a lot of rod ang fly combo to choose from. It took me a few tried before I could find the best combo that suits my style of fishing. If anyone is looking for other options, you should hop over to this site.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the shadow of the wasatch
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by cgreene View Post
    Theres a lot of rod ang fly combo to choose from. It took me a few tried before I could find the best combo that suits my style of fishing. If anyone is looking for other options, you should hop over to this site.
    Im curious about your experiences. What fly combo excites your tentacles? Is your processor able to process the difference between slow and fast action?

    Tits, or gtfo, jong ass bot fucker

    Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bunny Don't Surf

    Have you seen a one armed man around here?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    Ended up scoring a 8.5ft 4wt Orvis access - pretty successful trial run tonight on the upper truckee, got into a few brookies that were decent sized and definitely fun to haul in on that setup!

    Im already hopelessly addicted, getting up at ass crack of dawn tomorrow to go fish the west carson in hope valley all day.

    Attachment 288356

    I use the access 8'†4wt,†mid-flex every day, and I absolutely love it.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2
    I've got a TFO 8ft 3wt and have fun pretty much anywhere I go. Not a big water rod of course, but gets the job done in California.(Besides steelheading - not a freaking chance)

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    8

    Orvis

    I have a Orivis Clearwater 5wt rod and reel, and it has served me well as I try to get into fly fishing. Good luck on your search.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    1
    Let me listen to the masters here ...

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod7219 View Post
    I have a Orivis Clearwater 5wt rod and reel, and it has served me well as I try to get into fly fishing. Good luck on your search.
    what kind of fishing are you doing? ie species/ river or lake? Might be able to throw you a couple hints

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •