Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One Fly Setup To Rule Them All

Looking for recommendations on versatile a fly rod/reel combo and basic flies that everyone should have for fishing streams, creeks and smaller rivers in the Tahoe Basin and Northern Arizona.

I grew up fishing walleye, bass, northern, etc in Minnesota and know my way around that whole scene very well, fly fishing is somewhat new to me so looking for advice on a do-it-all setup.

Hard to go wrong with a 9ft, 5wt. Spend the money on the rod, get a cheap reel.

And don’t worry, you’ll get more.

/thread

I bought a Fenwick Aetos (in a 6wt for bass fishing) based on a ton of reviews saying it's a fantastic value rod.

I'm super impressed with it and much prefer it to my Orvis Access that was stolen from my truck.

So if you're not looking to drop a ton of money on a rod, check it out.

I started with a reddington classic trout 5wt,caught fish just fine... still use my CT in a 3wt.

Third the 9' 5wt. with a cheap reel, even though I don't own one. Spend as much as you're comfy with, 'cuz it ain't the horse, it's the cowboy, especially when you're starting out. If you end up liking the sport, keep it for rocky creeks, where you could break a rod, or pass it on.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I've mulled this over a million times. If it was freshwater, I'd do 5wt switch. For salt/fresh, 6wt switch. Salt with little fresh, 7wt switch.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

9’ 6wt for a do all one rod. Streamers and big dries are easier to chuck on a 6wt. Not to much rod to over power smaller fish yet will handle big fish with ease.

^^^ That’s what I did, but looking back, I think the new 5’s are stronger and more versatile, and the 6 wasn’t the greatest for small fly 6/7X tippet stuff. I got a 4 next so that’s my main dryfly rod w/ the 6 for what you describe.

W/ my 5wt, I just set a hook right through the forehead of a 8” rainbow this weekend on a mountain stream. I had to cut the line instead of ripping the hook out of its skull; so the little guy is probably going to die soon by a bull trout that sees this little guy swimming around with an elk hair caddis fascinator

I think I need a 3wt...

Tenkara

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    ^^^ That’s what I did, but looking back, I think the new 5’s are stronger and more versatile, and the 6 wasn’t the greatest for small fly 6/7X tippet stuff. I got a 4 next so that’s my main dryfly rod w/ the 6 for what you describe.
    Depends on the action. A super fast 5 will fish similar to a slower 6. My RPL and RPL+ are very fast 5 weights and fish great in the wind with bigger bugs. I still kick myself for selling the RPL+. The XP is also a very fast 5 that fishes best overlined by a half weight, my other favorite 5wt which I own. I also hate myself for selling one the most versatile rods in existence inmho, the Sage VT2 6wt. It would chuck big dries and streamers with ease, even though I like an 8 for streamers, it would also handle 7x tippets on spring creeks with 15’ leaders equally as well. Nice forgiving tip section to protect light tippets. These suggestions also depend on the OP’s casting stroke. Does it favor a fast action rod or would he benefit from a moderate fast like the VT2? Only he will know by casting a few different rods. I have a very compact powerful stroke and prefer fast-x fast actions but enjoy the mod fast of the likes of the VT 2. I have to be suuuuper stoned to fish a true moderate action.

Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    Looking for recommendations on versatile a fly rod/reel combo and basic flies that everyone should have for fishing streams, creeks and smaller rivers in the Tahoe Basin and Northern Arizona..
    Sounds to me like you dont need all the horsepower everyone here is talking about. If you are fishing creeks,streams and small rivers you are most likely not going to cast to anything over 40' away. If it was me and that was what I was fishing I would get a 8'6" 4 weight. A 5 weight is my favorite rod, but I spend 90% of my time fishing out of a boat on big water. But take with what I say with a grain of salt since I have every weight covered form 3 -11, so I can grab a lot of variety.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Ended up scoring a 8.5ft 4wt Orvis access - pretty successful trial run tonight on the upper truckee, got into a few brookies that were decent sized and definitely fun to haul in on that setup!

Im already hopelessly addicted, getting up at ass crack of dawn tomorrow to go fish the west carson in hope valley all day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brook.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	288356

I just picked up a hatch 3Plus and set it up for a 4wt as well. Im using a 9' orvis recon 4 wt. Living near the streams of Western NC, I thought a 5 would over power the fish.
    I also have a hatch 7plus 8wt setup for saltwater with a scott meridian 8wt 9'. Target is small tarpon in Winyah Bay SC.
    I thought skis demanded a quiver, but flyfishing is over the top and has me eyeing now a 5wt, although I can swap spools and a maybe a 10-11wt for beefier salt species.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I thought skis demanded a quiver, but flyfishing is over the top
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1288.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	288606

I run a 8.5' 5wt. 4 piece Cabella's rig that has been fun. Does get challenging if the wind start coming up.

Dealing with wind sucks for everyone, only practice helps.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Dealing with wind sucks for everyone, only practice helps.
    Even with practice it still sucks
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

So I will be going to the Bahamas for a wedding in January, staying on the NE side of Great Exuma and will be tacking a few days on for free roam. I think this is my opportunity to grow the quiver, catching bones on the flats looks like a great time and I would love to add a rod that can double for steelhead/swinging streamers.

Does this rod exist? Was thinking like an 8 or 9 weight switch?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    a switch rod is made to throw 2 handed roll spey casts
    you can do it on still water but establishing your anchor points is harder
    you or at least i can throw it traditional 1 handed but not for many casts
    be the last choice of a throwing to bones weapons in my quiver
    git an 8 weight 9'6 or 10 if you want or need a long rod which you shouldnt for bones and start practicing on poopfish
    you can do that in both beautiful places or the ghetto
    that rod that will git bones and swing metal heads exists and are easily available
    the skills to throw the line and put the fly where it needs to be in both situations
    not so easily available but doable with time and repetative casts numbering in the "lots" of quantification
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    a switch rod is made to throw 2 handed roll spey casts
    you can do it on still water but establishing your anchor points is harder
    you or at least i can throw it traditional 1 handed but not for many casts
    be the last choice of a throwing to bones weapons in my quiver
    git an 8 weight 9'6 or 10 if you want or need a long rod which you shouldnt for bones and start practicing on poopfish
    you can do that in both beautiful places or the ghetto
    that rod that will git bones and swing metal heads exists and are easily available
    the skills to throw the line and put the fly where it needs to be in both situations
    not so easily available but doable with time and repetative casts numbering in the "lots" of quantification
    love it, thanks for the insight sfb

So I will be going to the Bahamas for a wedding in January, staying on the NE side of Great Exuma and will be tacking a few days on for free roam. I think this is my opportunity to grow the quiver, catching bones on the flats looks like a great time and I would love to add a rod that can double for steelhead/swinging streamers.

Does this rod exist? Was thinking like an 8 or 9 weight switch?
    You can swing a streamer with a one hander. Can you cast it as far? No, but on most rivers I can get it out there 80 feet with my 7 weight one hander and that seems to do the trick.

I like a 7 weight for bones but an 8 would probably be better all around. Have you waded the flats for bonefish before? If not I would recommend a guide for the first day just to get shit a little figured out. Have fun! I am jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    You can swing a streamer with a one hander. Can you cast it as far? No, but on most rivers I can get it out there 80 feet with my 7 weight one hander and that seems to do the trick.

I like a 7 weight for bones but an 8 would probably be better all around. Have you waded the flats for bonefish before? If not I would recommend a guide for the first day just to get shit a little figured out. Have fun! I am jealous.
    Never waded the flats, definitely going to hire a guide at least one day. Recs on a solid all around 8wt one hander?

Never waded the flats, definitely going to hire a guide at least one day. Recs on a solid all around 8wt one hander?
    So many choices. How much you wanna spend?