Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Good Statutes Make Good Neighbors?

So my next door neighbor spent a shit-ton of $ over the spring creating a monstrosity of a backyard--pool, bricked patio, natural gas fire pit, the works. Not thrilled with the changes--we live in relatively small-lot urban/suburbanland--but what are you going to do? So, yesterday afternoon, I am in my normal Saturday afternoon mode (napping in the sunroom) when I hear his AC condenser kick in. It hadn't occurred to me before, but during the reno he moved the unit from the back of the house to the side--I can basically reach over the fence separating our properties and touch the thing. Local statue clearly says any such a unit needs to be at least 10 feet from any property line and the thing is maybe 10 feet from my house. I can hear it clearly from the master bedroom, sunroom, dining room, etc. It's rickety as fuck and has to go. Question is: do I tell the neighbor or simply drop the city a note informing them of issue and let them deal with it?

Moving the thing is going to completely screw the layout of his new brickwork, landscaping, etc., but he had to know it was against code. To make matters potentially worse (for him) is the location of the fire pit--it's like five feet from his house and also needs to be 10 feet to be up to code. Again, he had to know it was against code. I'm really kind of surprised he went through with all the changes without worrying about the city--it's not like we live in unregulated, middle of nowhereville.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    So my next door neighbor spent a shit-ton of $ over the spring creating a monstrosity of a backyard--pool, bricked patio, natural gas fire pit, the works. Not thrilled with the changes--we live in relatively small-lot urban/suburbanland--but what are you going to do? So, yesterday afternoon, I am in my normal Saturday afternoon mode (napping in the sunroom) when I hear his AC condenser kick in. It hadn't occurred to me before, but during the reno he moved the unit from the back of the house to the side--I can basically reach over the fence separating our properties and touch the thing. Local statue clearly says any such a unit needs to be at least 10 feet from any property line and the thing is maybe 10 feet from my house. I can hear it clearly from the master bedroom, sunroom, dining room, etc. It's rickety as fuck and has to go. Question is: do I tell the neighbor or simply drop the city a note informing them of issue and let them deal with it?

Moving the thing is going to completely screw the layout of his new brickwork, landscaping, etc., but he had to know it was against code. To make matters potentially worse (for him) is the location of the fire pit--it's like five feet from his house and also needs to be 10 feet to be up to code. Again, he had to know it was against code. I'm really kind of surprised he went through with all the changes without worrying about the city--it's not like we live in unregulated, middle of nowhereville.
    First off, vibes. You need to nuke from orbit, etc.

If it was something he could move easily? A friendly chat would be appropriate I think. Is your neighbor a reasonable person? However this is baked in pretty hardcore. Go to the city. Also think about likely outcomes. You are going to need to check your door handles for dog shit for a very long time. How easy and likely is it for him to get a variance of some kind and everything stays where it is? Then you have a noisy AC and a pissed off neighbor. Is there a likely outcome where he replaces the unit with a new one and gets to keep it where it is? How hardcore is your city about enforcing the codes? Either way, he's a dumfuck for spending so much cash with stupid obvious violations. Which begs the question, did he get somebody downtown to sign off on this making it 'legal'? That could be harder to fight?

The friendly chat seems unlikely to produce anything, but a year from now when he's telling people why he hates his shitty neighbor he's going to end with "...and he didn't even have the guts to come talk to me first." Does that matter to you?

When the inspectors come out make sure they check for permits on his toilet rings.

I vote chat. Focus on chief complaint. Don’t get hung up on code, not your bag or your enforcement. “This AC is super fucking noisy and now it’s RIGHT next to my house. Were you planning on moving it? Or at least replacing it with a much quieter unit?”
    focus.

Mention to him that you've noticed the AC is noisy, and that you wonder if it might be broken.

If his house catches fire, is yours at risk? If not, don't mention the fire pit. Make sure he has a nice stock of wood to burn. If his house goes up it would solve the AC problem.

If all that fails, bang the wife.

Pics of said wife?
    watch out for snakes

FIFY!

I'm really kind of surprised he went through with all the changes without talking to his neighbors.--it's not like we live in unregulated, middle of nowhereville.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Fuck ‘em..... he knew what he was doing. He’s counting on you to be to much of a pussy to call the codes dept.

let the city handle this.... they’re used to dealing with this type of shit.

I’m guessing talking to the guy will be fruitless as it’s planning, time & money to move the compressor & lineset somewhere else.
    But if you value your relationship with the neighbor, it seems worthwhile to bring it up with him first.

And good neighbors reduce the need for regulatory statutes and bullshit HOA rules..

About 6 years ago I hung a basketball goal on the phone pole out at the curb between our house and another. It was a big hit with the neighborhood kids, mostly elementary school age kids, no young adults hanging around out there late at night. However some of the missed shots were hitting the cars in the neighbor's driveway. He asked me to take it down after a couple months and I did. Same neighbor puts up a tent in their yard and has keggers with DJ's and live music a couple times a year, sometimes on a school night. I've had to go over there more than once to ask him to turn it down after 11pm on a school night.work night. Now that they have school age kids the party frequency has dropped considerably.

I put this up less than 15 feet from their bedroom windows.. But I only skate it before 10 pm and not all that often.

Just be considerate and cordial and there won't be any need to initiate legal action. I've also got a drum set in my living room. Nobody's ever called the cops on us for noise because we're not inconsiderate assholes (at least most of the time).
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 06-30-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

You could always erect your own statue if he won't move the AC unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0206%24large.jpeg 
Views:	168 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	287248

1st, nice chat, bring some beers.
    Next, if nothing happens, a talk about consequences.
    Next, if nothing happens, drop a dime.
    Next - move. Range wars suck.

this thread is useless without pics

Find some plausible deniability and then drop a dime. Like have a little party in the back yard. Next time after that when you see the neighbor, mention one of your guests works for the city and was eying the obvious code infractions, like you're giving him a friendly heads up. Then commiserate with him after the city comes and makes him move his shit.

Normally I'd advise against being a pussy, but like somebody on here once said about neighbors, their annoying dogs die, their obnoxious kids move away, but they're there for fucking ever. You don't want a Hatfields and McCoys thing for the next 20 years. You gotta work the politics of it.

We have the same problem. I can't remember if it was going on when you were here, or if that was before our new neighbor moved in. If I didn't tell you about it, long story short, it was a loud AC (subsequently replaced by a quiet unit) and a hot tub that literally touches my fence.

The day they installed the tub A stuck her head over the fence to ask wtf, and was told "it's my property". I was on the road at the time. When I talked to him, he said it was the best and only location (bullshit - it's a small house on a double lot), and then engaged in whataboutism. When I've mentioned that it's against code he just says I'm wrong (I'm not).

And he doesn't even have a hot daughter.

The only reason I haven't enlisted glademaster is that I don't want him looking at my toilet

But iceman is right.

Thankfully I have not been a party to, but have witnessed, some really brutal neighbor/street wars. Nasty shit. You gotta have peace where you sleep.

Proceed with caution.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

plausible deniability is the pro move

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Find some plausible deniability and then drop a dime. Like have a little party in the back yard. Next time after that when you see the neighbor, mention one of your guests works for the city and was eying the obvious code infractions, like you're giving him a friendly heads up. Then commiserate with him after the city comes and makes him move his shit.

Normally I'd advise against being a pussy, but like somebody on here once said about neighbors, their annoying dogs die, their obnoxious kids move away, but they're there for fucking ever. You don't want a Hatfields and McCoys thing for the next 20 years. You gotta work the politics of it.
    Solid psyops plan

Local statue clearly says ...
    I am amazed it is able to speak at all!

Kidding aside, you haven’t detailed your current relationship with the neighbour, but assuming there is any current cordial rapport, I would at least discuss the noisiness of the AC, and if they would be willing to fix or replace, and see where that goes. If they are assholes about that, then go the devious route and start the setback, noise and firehazard claims to the local bylaw agency.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Thankfully I have not been a party to, but have witnessed, some really brutal neighbor/street wars. Nasty shit. You gotta have peace where you sleep.

Proceed with caution.
    I have.. Nasty drug dealers moved in next door to a place we owned in happy and free Santa Cruz. Landlord wouldn't do anything when we complained about the zombies, drug deals in our driveway, trash, pitbulls, etc.. He actually compared us to the people who move next to an airport and then complain about the noise. Got to the point where I had to teach the wife how to shoot a shotgun in case the zombies came over to visit. After a year the cops finally raided it, but problems went on with the landlord until it was finally red tagged. Which he blamed us for. We waited until he made corrections and quietly sold our place and moved to happier pastures. But it was a year and a half of hell.

Range wars suck balls.

Don't be a fucking narc. His new backyard sounds pretty sweet. Maybe say something like hey, I like what you did with the place, but did you check the setback laws? I can hear your AC from every room in my house. I don't wanna be an asshole and get the city involved, but I think it needs to go back in your backyard.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I am amazed it is able to speak at all!

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Don't be a fucking narc. His new backyard sounds pretty sweet. Maybe say something like hey, I like what you did with the place, but did you check the setback laws? I can hear your AC from every room in my house. I don't wanna be an asshole and get the city involved, but I think it needs to go back in your backyard.
    And what does that accomplish?

Start playing Nickelback really loud.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

X2

You don't want to take this route (what an ass):

Neighbor must pay $40,000 for revving truck during piano lessons

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post

Proceed with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I have.. Nasty drug dealers moved in next door to a place we owned in happy and free Santa Cruz. Landlord wouldn't do anything when we complained about the zombies, drug deals in our driveway, trash, pitbulls, etc.. He actually compared us to the people who move next to an airport and then complain about the noise. Got to the point where I had to teach the wife how to shoot a shotgun in case the zombies came over to visit. After a year the cops finally raided it, but problems went on with the landlord until it was finally red tagged. Which he blamed us for. We waited until he made corrections and quietly sold our place and moved to happier pastures. But it was a year and a half of hell.

Range wars suck balls.

This was the range war to end all range wars IMO:

Washington state man bulldozes neighbors’ homes in a fit of rage
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism