Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i’ve done that
    How do you unscrew the DBs daughter though? Tougher job, that.

How much does it cost to move the HVAC A/C unit? I bet it's somewhat of a major undertaking in terms of money and work hours.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    How much does it cost to move the HVAC A/C unit? I bet it's somewhat of a major undertaking in terms of money and work hours.
    A new lineset & power to the unit
    price depends on location/length

Why don't you invite him over to chill in the sunroom, and when it kicks on, you can say oh man, there it goes... How about some sort of sound deadening material along his side of the fence? There have got to be ways to sort of hide/reduce noise. A buddy of mine has a house in cottonwood heights that goes right up against 215. The sound deadening wall is very effective. You would never know there was a freeway right there.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    How do you unscrew the DBs daughter though? Tougher job, that.
    ya that's unpossible. Once you enter the lair you are forever etched in the visitor log.

M-80 under the compressor during the next thunder storm... Man did you hear that bolt of lightning that hit your A/C unit??? Hopefully the new unit will be quieter..

Pee in his sink
    Garnish his wages
    Sell him a timeshare
    In that order

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I can't remember what it cost to move ours but not much. We moved from the back, under our bedroom window, to the side next to their bedroom window. Actually it's up front next to their living room which to the best of my knowledge has never been entered by a human being since they moved in. And we almost never use it.

You could put a stick in the the fan and lock the motor. It would melt the fuses, then you can take out the stick. After the 3rd set of fuses he will replace the unit.

Does this kind of thing really happen as an honest mistake? I kind of doubt it unless he installed it himself which seems unlikely with the major work described. The neighbor has made it clear how much he respects you so I don't think you owe him any back. Talking it out is just going to get you lies and excuses and no action. There's a reason he didn't ask for your blessing or a variance.

I would think the AC installers should know the code- do they have any liability here?

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    Does this kind of thing really happen as an honest mistake? I kind of doubt it unless he installed it himself which seems unlikely with the major work described. The neighbor has made it clear how much he respects you so I don't think you owe him any back. Talking it out is just going to get you lies and excuses and no action. There's a reason he didn't ask for your blessing or a variance.

I would think the AC installers should know the code- do they have any liability here?
    Maybe another alternative is to call the installer--if you are lucky enough to know who they are--and mention that the installation is against code and you'd like to give them a chance to fix it before going to the city. Around here the first thing an inspector asks me is who did the work. If it's someone with a good reputation they don't spend a lot of time looking it over; sometimes they just sign off without looking at the work. So I assume contractors and subs want to stay in good standing with the building dept.

In speaking to the neighbor it's also worth subtly hinting that if the city gets involved there's the issue of permits which is a can of worms he doesn't want to open. (I can't recall if you said there was or wasn't a permit; I'm assuming not if not up to code.)

I think that might be reading a bit too much into the placement of an AC unit.

Moving one's own AC from their backyard to the side is not a respect issue. Most likely the thinking was "hey AC guy move this" and that was it.
    Live Free or Die

Maybe I am giving the AC installers too much credit for knowing the local rule. OP did say he thought the neighbor must have known the rule and with major work that was probably professionally designed I lean that way too.

On the other hand, Hanlon's razor is "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post

Last and every semi major home project we've done that involved any work around setbacks, any plumbing, or any electrical wiring required several visits from city building inspectors. Wouldn't this project have also required inspector blessings?

Bear spray.