Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dog food linked to heart disease.

Anyone care to comment on this? My dogs have eaten Nutrisource their entire lives.
    That food is on the list.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-foo...investigation/

My guys eat one of the most named ones. Guess I need to find something else for them. Sitting here thinking about it, my last dog, Shadow, died from an enlarged heart at 10. I fed him Nutro most of his life. I wonder?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Woah, interesting. We feed Jasper Zignature and that is a bit alarming.

I wonder if it’s due more to a population bias. I.e. people who care about their dog and have more money spend on food might also be more apt to report to the FDA. Vs the troves of people who buy Iams because it’s the cheapest and have never once read the label nor cared to read the label.

Also these are just reports and not a study with controls so it’s not going to change my food selection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0492.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	287156

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Discussing in the doggie stoke thread
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Discussing in the doggie stoke thread
    thanks for posting that, it wasn’t on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    deserves it’s own thread
    Just saying a discussion already started on the subject and there might be info there worth reading so check it out if you want (or not).
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I remember reading that there was some thought of a connection with the use of peas/legumes
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

sub'd here, but more discussion (so far) in the stoke thread.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Has there been a clear link between the lack of grain and the DCM?

I fed my guy Blue Buffalo grain free puppy, now he is on Blue Wilderness Red meat. When this story first came out BB wasn't listed, now it is. Has me pretty worried as he has been eating it for over a year now.

Not sure what I should be feeding him as the info seems unclear
    That is what has me about all this, its almost like the study suggests buying the cheapest food out there with plenty of wheat fillers.

It suggests a link to low taurine levels, but also makes the link that the foods are all grain free and have legumes or potatoes. So which is it?

Correlation=/= causation.

Either way guess i'm looking into a more raw/homecooked diet. But what should i be feeding...

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Attachment 287155
    fuckinA this is the only brand these shitheads have ever eaten. Hutash, wtf?
    Shit. Rocky gets one of the “worst”, Taste of the Wild. I gotta start making his food from scratch or what?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    I wonder if it’s due more to a population bias. I.e. people who care about their dog and have more money spend on food might also be more apt to report to the FDA. Vs the troves of people who buy Iams because it’s the cheapest and have never once read the label nor cared to read the label.

Also these are just reports and not a study with controls so it’s not going to change my food selection.
    Quoted as you make some great points.

~500 reports over 5 years, with the bulk coming since the original 2018 announcment. No scientific study, and no links so far.

I don't want to brush this aside and then loose my bud down the road, but without more information what are we supposed to switch to?

Las time I fed him anything with grain he had loose stools, just like when I tried him on the Purina the pound claimed he was eating when I got him. I talked to my vet, and she seemed to agree, that there isn't a clear link yet. She also thought that my weekend feedings of fresh meat and veggies would provide taurine, if that is the issue. It doesn't make sense to me, as dog's didn't evolve eating wheat and grasses.

Maybe its the peas? (another thing they did not evolve eating).

Fucking hell, not this again.

No Science Diet on the list, phew.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Well shit.

Old Fia girl started having bad seizures at about age 5. Convulsing, eyes droning out, loss of bowel control, pissed herself, often culminated in vomiting yellow bile, lasting 10-15 minutes.

She was prescribed phenobarbital (same seizure medication for humans). I read up on it and deemed the risks not worth it. I found a forum discussing natural seizure remedies (for humans) and the links between clean eating and healthy diet with decreased events.

When I adopted her, she came with a bag of Iams. I was right out of college and broke and couldn't afford anything else so just kept feeding her that. At age 6, I switched her to Nutro. It seemed like the cheapest "good" food (ie - not grain based, not processed corn and wheat). Seizure frequency nearly immediately went from once a month to 2-4/year. She's 12 now and I don't remember the last time she had one.

Now we got another pup, so naturally he's eating Nutro too. I'd hate to be poisoning my dogs. I hate when problems are pointed out with no solutions.

Put me on the list that says this report sucks. Far too many factors involved to draw any reasonable conclusions.

FWIW we feed our hound a locally produced feed Canadian Naturals - turkey and salmon blend. Lexa is fed twice a day, smallest amount recommended for her weight. A couple times a week she gets some frozen hunting off-grade/bone. If she doesn’t eat her 1.5cup serving within the half hour, it gets taken away. Winter she is understandably hungrier, and receives a greater supplement of frozen wild meat/bone.

Hutash?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

We feed our pooch a "limited ingredient diet" natural balance listed. His vet has recommended LID because many brands gave him the trots. This FDA report is just based on reported observations? I'd like to know more.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Seems the news is using a lot of click bait titles ("16 dog food brands under investigation").

Actual FDA article

Actual data for 500+ cases

I read somewhere a year ago about taurine deficiency, heart disease and lamb based diets, which worried me. I was primarily feeding my two labs food with lamb as the protein, rotating beef sometimes. We switched back to just beef based. I’ve been feeding Victor brand for a couple years now and have been really happy with it.

It's always the high end specialty store pet food brands that end up being fucking poison. They guilt you in to spending 3X what mass market tested dog food costs telling you that you don't love your pet like a child of you don't pay more for their food. Then, the smaller production niche brand production products end up with shittier quality control in the end.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The Costco food is on the list. Natures Domain. Kinda weird they just name a brand and don’t specify what recipe it is. The small dog food with salmon makes for good turds.

These are all high end foods. No Purina and the like

Paging hutash to the white courtesy phone please.
    hutash to the white courtesy phone.
    Thank you.

My guy has been fed Acana all his life (puppy blend then transitioned to Large breed) and is super healthy. Our long term vet, and several others we've been to, have always told us he's in unreal health (like 2 or 3 years younger than he is) but this FDA finding is pretty damn concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    This was exactly my first thought. My partners first thought too. Amalgamated "big data" for correlation does not equal causation, additionally I'd like to look at the controls.

All that said, still pretty concerned here at the reckless ranch.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Amalgamated "big data" for correlation does not equal causation, additionally I'd like to look at the controls.

All that said, still pretty concerned here at the reckless ranch.
    Did you read the FDA link I posted?

This is just an "analysis" of reported data since 2014, not a study with controls. I'm hoping this is some summer intern that doesn't understand statistics reporting this out. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Did you read the FDA link I posted?

This is just an "analysis" of reported data since 2014, not a study with controls. I'm hoping this is some summer intern that doesn't understand statistics reporting this out. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.
    Nope. Didn't read the link. Must have missed that post. Will do so now.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    The Costco food is on the list. Natures Domain. Kinda weird they just name a brand and don’t specify what recipe it is. The small dog food with salmon makes for good turds.
    Hm. Not the regular Lamb and Rice though. The green bag with the Husky on it is different, right?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.