Thread: Ohlins TTX

Ohlins TTX

I'm looking to try a coil shock out on my trail bike (Yeti SB6). I know the Yetis are pretty linear, but have a buddy who is on coil and loves it.
    Found a good deal on a Ohlins TTX but haven't really delved into them. Anyone got any feedback? Its decently priced and i feel like i could probably sell it locally if i didn't get along with it. Or should I just ride my bike and not think too much about it at work...

Disclaimer: have never tried a coil, just coil-curious.

You could get a progressively-wound spring to help deal with the linear leverage ratio. Not sure if Ohlins makes one, but the MRP Hazzard (e.g.) might be worth looking into.

I ended up buying it. Will post thoughts once I have started using it.

I'm on a TTX right now. It's kind of amazing.
    Wife has a TTX on one bike and an ElevenSix on another bike. Claims the ElevenSix is even better. Then again, the pricepoint is a big jump up for that. Then again, PUSH customer service is bar none. She calls them all the time to sort out tunes, and they custom tuned the shit out of it for her.
    But, back on track, the TTX is money. So plush. Glued to chattery trail.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Some updates.
    It came with a 365lbs spring which the guy said worked well for him at 150lbs. Pretty sure i bottomed that out going off a curb, definitely did in a couple of berms.
    Bought a 450lbs Cane Creek Valt spring and also seem to be able to bottom or very close to bottom out, or at least the bumper is all the way at the bottom of the shock, in the parking lot with some aggressive jumping.
    Rode 2 laps of Creekside on it. Got a PR on a berm trail, it really felt like it was sitting a lot deeper in its travel than the airspring. Switched back to Air and instantly felt like more mid stroke support, maybe a little squirmier.
    Pretty underwhelming so far.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Interesting review. You were faster, but it felt too weird?

Been running a Push all season on a Warden Carbon. Smashed a bunch of PRs and just feels amazing on every kind of terrain. Honestly, don't know if I will ever run an air shock again. At least for trail riding and enduro racing. Maybe for XC only.

Ohlins TTX

Hard to know what’s going on with that bike/shock without any hints about what kind of sag you’re getting.
    You do realize spring size has as much to do with the frame as the riders weight, right? Because of leverage curves and other complicated math shit.
    Maybe call Ohlin’s? Maybe increase compression damping?

I do think one of the reasons air shocks are popular is that you don’t have to buy another $100 spring every time you want to make a change. And I think it’s bullshit that none of them have thought about a spring trade in program to help people get their shit dialed in.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Its all a bit hard to figure out tbh.
    The sag looked about right. i would say around 30% definitely not 40 or 20. I probably run less than 30% on the air shock though.

Its on a Yeti which i know is pretty linear, maybe thats the difference im feeling. Didn't play with LSC at all, trying to still figure out springs before moving to that. Im off the bike all weekend working doubles, but I have a pretty good idea for testing on 1:15 trail close by home that will hopefully help get it dialled.

/\ /\ /\
    I wouldn’t hesitate to call or email Ohlin’s. Part of the package with non-Fox & non-RS products as far as I’m concerned.

FWIW, mrs jm2e just switched to a coil spring in her Fox36 fork. She’s using waaaay more of the fork than she used to. But in a good way, most of the time. She turns up the LSC when we’re doing really steep descents to keep it from diving.

FWIW, I just got an 11-6 (Push was selling "blem" models for 25% off) for my Sentinel, which is also a pretty linear bike. I have 2 rides on it. They put me on a pretty large spring (475#) for my weight (170). The biggest spring any calculator has put me on was 450, and most were at 425. With the 475, I sit very high in the sag, maybe 15% instead of the normal 30%+. But it feels great. I have 1 circuit set up for flow trails, the other for DH (chunk). I actually find it to be poppier than my air can (maybe due to the stout spring), and actually less harsh when I bottom out (probably due to the foam bumper instead of metal on plastic). And of course, way smoother through chunk. I ran a coil on my previous bike (Nomad 3), and will be definitely taking the 11-6 on to whatever bike I get next.

As mentioned above, try reaching out to Ohlins. If you do decide to try another spring, maybe try one of the MRP progressive ones.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've reached out SuspensionWerx in Van who are the Ohlins contacts for Canada as well as Yeti.

Updates. Was sitting at 23% sag on my airshock after measuring. The 450lb spring was coming thru at more like 20%.
    Hoping to get out and get some time on dirt on it tonight.

Im thinking that even though the bottom out bumper is at the bottom, it could mean that its not fully bottomed, but nearly right. I'd still like to throw a 500lb in there and check that out.

/\ /\ /\
    If I get to the bottom of my travel and only notice after the fact, things are just right.
    If I notice I got to the end of my travel because I felt it in my fillings, time to make adjustments.

Got it out for a couple of laps of a small local loop. Compression was wide open first time and put it 10 clicks from closed and slowed down the rebound a click.
    It definitey felt better. Theres a couple of off cambers that are often hard to hang onto with awkward gaps over roots at ends, which it nailed. I felt faster, but strava didnt agree, although i have the feeling strava might be wrong as said i was 20 seconds off on a track that was 1:08 which i don't buy.

Moving in the right direction at least.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    <snip> I felt faster, but strava didnt agree, although i have the feeling strava might be wrong as said i was 20 seconds off on a track that was 1:08 which i don't buy.
    Don't count on Strava for any kind of *real* accuracy.