View Poll Results: Do you use Binding Inserts?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use bindings inserts and recommend them

16 25.00%
  • No, I've never used binding inserts

40 62.50%
  • No, I've used binding inserts before but don't recommend them

8 12.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. So looks like the consensus is inserts work as advertised, but most people tend to dislike the dismount + remount time, with the exception for those who have to travel far to reach the hill.

My next question is, do you tend to buy brand new bindings every time or is there a cheaper way to get your hands on quality bindings?

buying lightly used ski/skin/binding setups
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've purchased somewhat older skis at thrift stores just to get the bindings for use on another pair. Myself and a few others here are fine with older Salomon 900s on several pairs of skis. If I see a new or decent used pair of skis that isn't coming with bindings that interests me I'll likely move some 900s of another pair I don't use very often or go hit the thrift stores. More often than not, there's at least one nearby with some 900s. I rarely pay more than $15 to get them.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

the only problem if they are too old is the brake widths which is why I would rather buy a full lightly used setup

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the only problem if they are too old is the brake widths which is why I would rather buy a full lightly used setup
    So true. Skiing the mid atlantic keeps my quiver under 90mm. I've bent 70mm brakes to fit 86mm more than once.

"95" mm Look Pivot brakes will clear a 110mm waist without requiring any bending, and they function smoothly.

Put "115" mm Look Pivot brakes on anything less than about 125mm wide underfoot, and you'll be locking brake arms together midway down the hill like two bull elk locking horns.

Inserts are a gimmick and far more of a pain in the ass than they are worth. They belong on the dung heap of skiing along with Alpine Trekkers and Naxos.

Inserts are for poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

Yep, I remember back in the day our entire family shared one set of bindings. Dad would ski his runs on his skis then move the bindings to mom's skis. Even my sister got to use the bindings before it was my turn... then dad took them again..

most of the skis i am gona want to buy will be > 100mm so I will pass on old bindings

never done binding inserts but along the same lines I've had ski boots with swapable AT or DIN soles and I only did it once or twice a season cuz it was a hassle, even tho it was only 15 min with a screw gun I didn't want to do it

eventualy I got real AT boots but it was a good option when I wasn't sure if I should buy real AT boots

so i'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to swap bindings very much either

and how many skis are going to be good for both on and off piste might be a valid question ?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Inserts are a gimmick and far more of a pain in the ass than they are worth. They belong on the dung heap of skiing along with Alpine Trekkers and Naxos.
    Bypass the dung heap and send the old Alpine Trekkers to my sand pile. My old A.T.'s are starting to show some wear with the sand and gravel uphilling i'm doing with 'em.

Name:  vlcsnap-2019-05-07-21h18m09s272.png
Views: 686
Size:  670.7 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Bypass the dung heap and send the old Alpine Trekkers to my sand pile. My old A.T.'s are starting to show some wear with the sand and gravel uphilling i'm doing with 'em.

Name:  vlcsnap-2019-05-07-21h18m09s272.png
Views: 686
Size:  670.7 KB

Are you training for Alaska? The GSA would approve.

I use them to transition from early to mid to late/volcano skiing. 6-7 pairs with 3 binders does it. No use having dedicated binders on quiver skis like the 138 lotus when some seasons they never come out (drought) or only for a storm cycle or 2 in weak years. My skis change out faster than my binders. Solly/dynafit quiver.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

I plan on inserts for my travel skis. I can zip tie 2 pairs of skis together not worry about the airline fucking them up. Head Kore and Liberty twin tips.

Yup - love em.
    Makes traveling with multiple sets a breeze.

And I am poor so guess I can use them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Tongue in cheek or not, this is one of the more offensive things I've seen posted on this forum, and I read PolyAssHat from time to time. GFYS.

do poor people even ski let alone own multiple skis they mount with inserts to facilitate traveling with?

This is TGR. Everyone on here is poor except for Ice and ONS.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bobby gots money too.....

I was big into inserts a few years ago, but as mentioned swapping the bindings from ski to ski gets old fast. Especially if you like restating what you ski fairly often.

However, now that I travel more to ski, I have a few pairs with inserts and/or demo bindings where I can remove the heel and toe. Can fit 3 pairs of flat skis in a single ski bag, plus a couple pairs of bindings keeping it under 50 lbs. necessity of having a quiver that’s too large for my own good.

Worth it for that
    Last edited by Muggydude; 07-08-2019 at 12:23 AM.

I too bought into inserts early, but found the idea was more appealing than reality (much like xmas most years or that new bike etc: what humans envision is often the ideal and that is rarely reality). i swapped alpine and touring on a set of skis but the skis were such a compromise to both disciplines the appeal fizzled really fast.

They are great for replacing spinners.

Unless you have a truly doable benefit for their use, then they are not worth it. It seems the air travelers carrying 2+ pairs or skis benefit most. If you're resourceful, as has been pointed out, scooping bindings is pretty easy for very little money.

I refuse to answer this question, lest you folks judge me for being poor.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I refuse to answer this question, lest you folks judge me for being poor.
    Yeah apparently LVS is an asshole. Who knew.
    🤪

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've got 3-5 pairs mounted for 91X's which at likely to see use maybe a handful of days a year. They seem good for that purpose but I haven't bought any yet

I prefer to think of myself as "cheap", not "poor". :-)

I used binding freedom swap plates before getting into inserts, but have been running one of these options on all of my skis in the past 4-5 years.

I run either radical 2.0s with a shim or beast 14s without. They share a toe piece, which cuts down on number of holes in each ski. The beasts ski better but tour worse.

Swapping bindings is a pain, but really only takes about 10 minutes including adjustments. I typically leave the beasts on my bigger skis (RPCs) and leave the radicals on the skinnier skis (MTN 95s or Cassiar 95s). I swap only if it's a full on groomer day and want skinny skis, or a big powder day in the backcountry.

For me, the versatility is still worth the fiddle factor, and I have been trying to work toward reducing total pieces of gear (fewer setups means more consistency in skiing experience inbounds and in the backcountry). But I can see allure of multiple setups.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Seriously the poor crack is total bulshit

but the big question might be do you ever fail to use a ski because you haven't got the time or can't be bothered to do a swap ?