View Poll Results: Do you use Binding Inserts?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use bindings inserts and recommend them

16 25.00%
  • No, I've never used binding inserts

40 62.50%
  • No, I've used binding inserts before but don't recommend them

8 12.50%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    No. Not me. I may not end up in my preferred combo, but it's generally better to be skiing than not.

I've never missed a day due to swapping.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

still sounds like a compromise
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like the concept ..
    Maybe it's foolish, but I'm sketched out by the possibility of screws coming loose with inserts - and subsequent chaos ensuing.
    irrational and ignorant hangup? I'm an insert jong.

But is that a thing?

I buy too many skis, although that's a theory that some will say isn't possible, and perhaps I'm channeling my wife here, but to get on point, -- I use inserts in every pair so I don't have to buy new bindings. I tele too and because I'm lazy and because it's cheap, I usually buy extra heels and swap just the toes. I have one pair of Outlaws and one pair of Lynx that I move around. Takes me 5 minutes. Plus, it lets me dry out water between binding and ski, makes packing skis for travel easier, lets me put skis on sea kayak easier, etc, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    I like the concept ..
    Maybe it's foolish, but I'm sketched out by the possibility of screws coming loose with inserts - and subsequent chaos ensuing.
    irrational and ignorant hangup? I'm an insert jong.

But is that a thing?
    If you install inserts, screw down binding, and never check it for the ski season, then yes, it's a thing. But if that's the case, why bother fucking with inserts in the first place. They're best for ski purchasing whores or those who can't decide which binding to put on the pair.

Do you use binding inserts or buy a new pair of bindings for every ski?

I like inserts, and I don't. I don't like buying skis that already have inserts because the majority of the time at least one of these things has happened:

1. The BSL is wrong and now I have to work around old holes that take up more space on the ski and further limit my options
    2. The inserts are spun for one of several reasons
    3. They're not perfectly vertically sunk in the ski

The main issue I've had with them is that if the screws are torqued even a little beyond a minimal amount of static friction (way less than 4 Nm), the inserts will back out of the ski while removing the bindings. This seems to be an inevitability. When the insert backs out, if you don't realize it's happening, you run the risk of spinning the tap hole, because the other screws are holding the binding plate down against the ski while you turn, and the insert can't go up. I think that if swapping bindings regularly, the best way to use insert screws is to install with minimal torque, and then do regular checks to ensure they're still seated properly. For me this really limits their viability as a daily solution to my ski hoarding problem, but like others, I would still definitely consider them as an option for times when space saving is necessary (e.g. flights).

I'm pretty lazy, and really impatient with the misbehavior of inanimate things, so rather than inserts as a daily option, I use low stack-height demo bindings. Pre-2017 Marker Jester/Griffon are what I've been using, but pre-2019 Tyrolia Attacks, or for MNC, 2019 Tyrolia Attacks are also good. If I need to pack light one set of bindings can easily be swapped into several skis.

For a 50/50 ski, I really liked the sollyfit plates, because for a little bit of weight and a small stack height increase, you eliminate the possibility of inserts backing out.

I use vibratite on my screws and have never had an insert back out by itself. That sounds like an adhesion issue between the inserts and the epoxy - like maybe they weren't cleaned carefully before installation.

I have removed inserts on purpose, but it usually takes heat and a great deal of force.

A compromise? Sure. But I think we all make compromises with any of our setups. Some combination will generally always be a little bit better than what we have.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Same here - never had an insert back out by itself.
    I clean the inserts prior to installation with isopropanol just to make sure there is no oil residue from the machining process. The epoxy I use is Hardman Double Bubble as recommended by QK.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    Same here - never had an insert back out by itself.
    I clean the inserts prior to installation with isopropanol just to make sure there is no oil residue from the machining process. The epoxy I use is Hardman Double Bubble as recommended by QK.
    Plus your screws should not be bottoming-out in the insert.