Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

any love for Orbea Rallon

just took hold of my orbea Rallon. anyone else riding one, ive come from a mondraker foxy xr.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Unbelievable handling bike. Rode one for 10 days in the Pyrenees

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Unbelievable handling bike.

That bad huh?

Like constant endos? Squats so bad pedaling that the wheel hits the back of your neck?

That is pretty unbelievable.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Unbelievable handling bike. Rode one for 10 days in the Pyrenees
    A lot of folks saying that. Not unbelievabke enough to temp you to own one?
    which setting did you have it in low or lower?

Kind of needs a bit more expansion in my comment

It was a loaner while in the Pyrenees. Had it set up in lower then switched to higher as we were in rock gardens plus we were in tight switchbacks requiring quick direction changes.

Loved situations like tight handling in narrow singletrack. Turned on a dime.

Yet comfortable in steep loose runouts pointing straight downhill

Also comfy going fast. Not minster truck downhill bike plow style but faster than my mental ability to go fast. Having said that I'm slow. But the other people on it sure were fast im straight lines

Didnt wallow overmuch ie sink all the way into travel when pedalling so was pretty good climber. However suspension activated for small hits (but I never used lockout as Id forget to turn it on/off) so you feel the rear wandering and deflect in babyhead climbs for eg. Required getting used to working with the suspension rather than simply mindlessly pedalling

For the odd janky technical modes eg downhill into sharp uphills or sharp turns the bike and suspension comes back so quickly to equilibrium its pretty snappy to link a series of technical moves.

Did not buzz ass on 29er tires.on steeps so another plus for the geo

Will think of more later. Overall its a above average high speed bike; better than average technical trail bike

Other longer travel pedally bikes Ive used and compared it to

Pivot Firebird 27.5
    Devinci Spartan 27.5
    Trek Slash 29er
    Spec Enduro 29er

I have an Orbea Occum TR for XC rides, it's a surprisingly great bike. Reading this thread makes me think Orbea knows what they are doing.

Lemme know how you like the Rallon.

I've got a few friends that own or have owned them including one that wrote this review:

https://www.sicklines.com/2018/09/01...-m-ltd-part-2/

Everyone seems to love them. The only complaint is an issue with the linkage not working very well with a coil shock. Supposedly there is an updated linkage but it sounds like it's hard to get a hold of right now.
    Last edited by dfinn; 06-28-2019 at 10:47 AM.

I liked this build video.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just thought of one thing. Had next to zero time on bikepark runs on the Rallon. The half run we had on a ValD'Aran bikepark i thought Id locked the rear out as the rear suspension was packing up. But I hadn't.

Mind you that was first day on an unfamiliar bike. I'd have to ride it more on bikepark type groomed trails yo know and there wasnt much of that in that area of Spain

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I've got a few friends that own or have owned them including one that wrote this review:

https://www.sicklines.com/2018/09/01...-m-ltd-part-2/

Everyone seems to love them. The only complaint is an issue with the linkage not working very well with coil shock. Supposedly there is an updated linkage but it sounds like it's hards to get a hold of right now.
    That was a good review. I had the bike stock. Pyrenees trails are a bit more mellow than our local trails so the Rallon was fine there. Totally agree with the writer that the stock build would be undergunned for the more difficult local trails around SW BC bellinghan

Have heard the rear can be fairly stiff/ maybe that’s what you were just referring to? Def giving it a look...

Kind of needs a bit more expansion in my comment

It was a loaner while in the Pyrenees. Had it set up in lower then switched to higher as we were in rock gardens plus we were in tight switchbacks requiring quick direction changes.

Loved situations like tight handling in narrow singletrack. Turned on a dime.

Yet comfortable in steep loose runouts pointing straight downhill

Also comfy going fast. Not minster truck downhill bike plow style but faster than my mental ability to go fast. Having said that I'm slow. But the other people on it sure were fast im straight lines

Didnt wallow overmuch ie sink all the way into travel when pedalling so was pretty good climber. However suspension activated for small hits (but I never used lockout as Id forget to turn it on/off) so you feel the rear wandering and deflect in babyhead climbs for eg. Required getting used to working with the suspension rather than simply mindlessly pedalling

For the odd janky technical modes eg downhill into sharp uphills or sharp turns the bike and suspension comes back so quickly to equilibrium its pretty snappy to link a series of technical moves.

Did not buzz ass on 29er tires.on steeps so another plus for the geo

Will think of more later. Overall its a above average high speed bike; better than average technical trail bike

Other longer travel pedally bikes Ive used and compared it to

Pivot Firebird 27.5
    Devinci Spartan 27.5
    Trek Slash 29er
    Spec Enduro 29er
    ive yet to give it a good ride (im on a weekend away with family, Gona try and give it a blast on the trails here if the wife allows) but 1st impressions on the little bit ive done since thursday
    it doesnt feel like an ocean liner and is very nible and doesnt mind bashing in to rocky rooty features just absorbs them like a fanny pad.
    coming from a trail bike in the roudy end of the trail bike scale(mondraker foxy) it blows it out the water on the small experience so far.

update
    The bike is mint.
    I'm far from the fastest rider and far from the most experienced. I dont get my leg over many other bikes either.
    For me the bike is fun and playfull but at the same time a bit of a monster riding through rowdy rocky/rooty sections(as previously said im not the fastest but in someone elses hands there's plenty left in the tank to go harder and faster) it lets me get away with my biking inefficiencies just bashing through instead of chosing a smoother line and using better bike skills.
    It climbs surprisingly well also.
    Tighter switch backs i could feel the difference being on a 29er, i found weighting the front tyre a bit more and drifting the back round helped though however going fast and hard round switch backs aint in my skill set so nothing lost there anyway.

Seems like new linkage is gonna address a bunch of common concerns, and be backwards compatible, so they got that going, which is nice.

Had a buddy get a hold of the new linkage just before he put in a solid 3 days of PNW riding including a few laps at Whistler. He said it totally changed the bike for the better. He was already running a coil and had run into some issues with the shock blowing, hopefully this fixes it.

Nice!

bump for me thinking about buying an Orbea Occam.

probably a long shot, but anyone have some time on one of the 2020's?

Coming from a Hightower 135mm R / 145mm F.

Quote Originally Posted by donetlynx View Post
    bump for me thinking about buying an Orbea Occam.

probably a long shot, but anyone have some time on one of the 2020's?

Coming from a Hightower 135mm R / 145mm F.
    where i live there a big following of the Orbea's a lot of us are riding them. A few local riders who own shops sell them.
    why choose the Occam over the Rallon?

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    where i live there a big following of the Orbea's a lot of us are riding them. A few local riders who own shops sell them.
    why choose the Occam over the Rallon?
    Thanks! The numbers on the Occam look good for my riding style and the trails it will see here in the PNW.

I've enjoyed pretty much every trail and feature that I've ridden over the last 30 years of mtb. But I don't pin it like I used to. Broke a shoulder 16 months ago and finally got the message that I don't bounce anymore.

I tend to do longer rides whenever possible, and like going up (almost) as much as going down. Perfect ride for me is 3-4 hours and 4-5000', but that's maybe once a week. I prefer nimbleness and boost-ability over straight-line charging.

Honestly, I think the Rallon is just too much bike for me at this time of my life. I'd appreciate the travel going down, but am afraid that the bike won't be as playful and snappy compared to the Occam. And I'd miss that. The problem is that I don't have any time on either bike, and I'm not seeing anyone local that has them on the floor or demo.

I've been looking for a Hightower replacement for a year. I was dead set on the new Tallboy, but Santa Cruz is kinda pissing me off right now.

Always heard the Rallon was more snappy/poppy than the plowy bikes in that travel category.

For the orbea veterans: how’s the bearing / pivot durability? With so many decent geo bikes on the market these days, carbon quality and pivot maintenance (cough **Transition issues** cough) are worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by donetlynx View Post
    Thanks! The numbers on the Occam look good for my riding style and the trails it will see here in the PNW.

I've enjoyed pretty much every trail and feature that I've ridden over the last 30 years of mtb. But I don't pin it like I used to. Broke a shoulder 16 months ago and finally got the message that I don't bounce anymore.

I tend to do longer rides whenever possible, and like going up (almost) as much as going down. Perfect ride for me is 3-4 hours and 4-5000', but that's maybe once a week. I prefer nimbleness and boost-ability over straight-line charging.

Honestly, I think the Rallon is just too much bike for me at this time of my life. I'd appreciate the travel going down, but am afraid that the bike won't be as playful and snappy compared to the Occam. And I'd miss that. The problem is that I don't have any time on either bike, and I'm not seeing anyone local that has them on the floor or demo.

I've been looking for a Hightower replacement for a year. I was dead set on the new Tallboy, but Santa Cruz is kinda pissing me off right now.
    i dont feel like i want/need a smaller bike than my Rallon. It doesnt climb bad at all either. Its never felt too much bike and most certainly has never felt not enough. I ride everything on it from tight twisty flowy berm trails to Warncliffe(steve petes playground) and the peak district.
    You wouldnt be disappointed. Its a great enduro bike.
    My pals on Occams struggle at times in the peak district down runs such as the beast/cavedale/potato alley(youtube them) The Rallon will plough through it

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Always heard the Rallon was more snappy/poppy than the plowy bikes in that travel category.

For the orbea veterans: how’s the bearing / pivot durability? With so many decent geo bikes on the market these days, carbon quality and pivot maintenance (cough **Transition issues** cough) are worth considering.
    Bag on, no one i know has had drama with them. Ive rode mine in some shitty gritty wet conditions all winter dont clean it as much as i should. Took it all apart this past week to service it(plenty of spare time on my hands with the lock down). It was still silky smooth. Loads of grease in the right places from the Orbea factory. Frames warrantied for life, local dealers round our way do free bearings for life to original owner.

if youre buying size up, im 5'8" normally would ride medium however my Rallon os a large

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    if youre buying size up, im 5'8" normally would ride medium however my Rallon os a large

Does yours have old or new linkage?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Does yours have old or new linkage?
    got the new linkage sat in the box. Gona change it over when I do the bearings. Probably not worth the money but the seed was planted