Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    FWIW, of the 4 times I've passed through Andermatt, that interval (March 18-23) was the first time I didn't get stormed out for at least a day. Every time I've been there, it has snowed, often too much.

What date are you suggesting Ripz?

venduls place is super sweet at any time, right? It's gonna be even better with the new tram out of Sedrun to access Disentis.
    Has anyone verified that Vendul will let us return?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Well, there is that one guy...
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

It's gonna be even better with the new tram out of Sedrun to access Disentis.
    Can’t wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Word on the street is, yes.
    Well, there is that one guy...
    Always that, “one guy”...
    Hope it isn’t me.....

What date are you suggesting Ripz?
    Early March might get us some colder days. There was sooo much to ski that was just enbearable crust. North aspects were great though. It doesnt matter, its all a crapshoot. Regardless, I'll be back at peak time next season.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Could be interested next year if Japan doesn't happen for me.

Jesus -- how are flights so cheap to Zurich. $500 round on Lufthansa most of Feb-March from DEN to Zurich.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Jesus -- how are flights so cheap to Zurich. $500 round on Lufthansa most of Feb-March from DEN to Zurich.
    Be aware of Lufthansa's baggage fees. Air France has much better policies, with AF baggage limitations only on the ' Light fare' tickets. Better food and views on AF too.

Be aware of Lufthansa's baggage fees. Air France has much better policies, with AF baggage limitations only on the ' Light fare' tickets. Better food and views on AF too.
    Good beta for those of us who don't choose to live in the same wool pants all week .

Didn’t Lufthansa screw mofro and Norseman around at the last minute by canceling their flight?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Didn’t Lufthansa screw mofro and Norseman around at the last minute by canceling their flight?
    I think that was Iceland Air.

I've had good experience with AirFrance/KLM and British Air, meaning no extra fees for skis. I think BA does lose skis occasionally, per Mr. Mike's experience.

https://www.britishairways.com/jba/b.../bagsport.html . BA states a 190 cm limit, but I've taken my 2 hundies on there several times.

Another tip: if it costs a little more to avoid Amsterdam/Schipol, it's worth it. They have limited connecting flight info out on the gangways and their customs funnel is the most clogged I've ever experienced.

Ah, yeah. That sounds correct, Buster, now that I think about it.

following
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I'll repeat again in this years thread - avoid arriving or departing the Alps on a Saturday if at all possible.

Euro package ski vacations begin and end on Saturday.

Airports, airlines, baggage handling, taxis, vans, rental car agencies are crushed by the numbers. And the ski areas are empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I'll repeat again in this years thread - avoid arriving or departing the Alps on a Saturday if at all possible.

Euro package ski vacations begin and end on Saturday.

Airports, airlines, baggage handling, taxis, vans, rental car agencies are crushed by the numbers. And the ski areas are empty.
    Wasn’t my experience but ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    well aren’t you special
    Rookies luck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Rookies luck?
    More than likely. I did ask the super hawt lady at the ticket counter if Saturday’s are usually super busy and she said not really, this was pretty normal. I did travel early in the day so maybe that was the difference. My plane left Zurich at 1pm.
    I flew United and will probably use them again. Ticket prices are still pretty high right now for my area.

I think arrivals are bad on Saturday noon on into evening. And likely leaving late Saturday into early Sunday.
    My experience is different, but I'd rather not quibble about it.

Resources:
    Aside from the Official Maggot Lodge in Andermatt\Rueras, https://www.mt-lodge.com/ , where Swiss efficiency is complemented by Italian hospitality, food and godly coffee, there's a couple other lodging spots I'd like to reiterate:

In Klosters, the stylist adjunct to Davos, about 3 hours by train from Rueras, the Hotel Wynegg is awesome, about 5 blocks from the main tram out of Klosters. Incredible food and bar, one of the best rates in the area: http://wynegg.ch/en/

In Bad Gastein, if anyone goes that far east, we found a great deal and super hospitality at https://hotelechobadgastein.com/ which sits right on the Bad Gastein torrent. Again, great rates, super hospitality.

Then in St. Anton proper, 4 block up the hill to the West of the pedestrian zone, https://www.das-elisabeth-arlberg.at/en/home/ has really decent rates, a fantastic breakfast and nice host.

Resources:
    Aside from the Official Maggot Lodge in Andermatt\Rueras, https://www.mt-lodge.com/ , where Swiss efficiency is complemented by Italian hospitality, food and godly coffee, there's a couple other lodging spots I'd like to reiterate:

In Klosters, the stylist adjunct to Davos, about 3 hours by train from Rueras, the Hotel Wynegg is awesome, about 5 blocks from the main tram out of Klosters. Incredible food and bar, one of the best rates in the area: http://wynegg.ch/en/

In Bad Gastein, if anyone goes that far east, we found a great deal and super hospitality at https://hotelechobadgastein.com/ which sits right on the Bad Gastein torrent. Again, great rates, super hospitality.

Then in St. Anton proper, 4 block up the hill to the West of the pedestrian zone, https://www.das-elisabeth-arlberg.at/en/home/ has really decent rates, a fantastic breakfast and nice host.
    Thanks for these. I'm thinking I might split time between Mt Lodge and one other locale this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Thanks for these. I'm thinking I might split time between Mt Lodge and one other locale this trip.
    I'd ask vendul about options in St. Moritz too. I have been blown away by the skiing there, I think others were too. I only know about the hostel in Pontresina and one other place there.

Maybe start penciling in a route from Rueras through Bivio (ask 2Funky, CascadeLuke, LWS et al what they thought) to St. Moritz and back? You get to go through Cunter!

I'd ask vendul about options in St. Moritz too. I have been blown away by the skiing there, I think others were too. I only know about the hostel in Pontresina and one other place there.

Maybe start penciling in a route from Rueras through Bivio (ask 2Funky, CascadeLuke, LWS et al what they thought) to St. Moritz and back? You get to go through Cunter!
    I would love to spend a few days in St. Moritz and a few in Bivio touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Hear hear!

We can join Luke b00b ogling in the bar later, right?

We are still tossing around the idea or St. Moritz before heading to Sedrun. Wife looked at some air BnB’s that are really reasonable. Most seemed big enough that a couple like minded people could split the nightly cost, making it really affordable.

The skiing was unreal. The road there and back was, umm, interesting. ESP at night when the lanes are barely wide enough for your own vehicle let alone a 1/4 of someone else’s. But hey, rubbin is racin....

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    We are still tossing around the idea or St. Moritz before heading to Sedrun. Wife looked at some air BnB’s that are really reasonable. Most seemed big enough that a couple like minded people could split the nightly cost, making it really affordable.
    Hear hear!

We can join Luke b00b ogling in the bar later, right?
    St. Moritz -> Bivio -> Sedrun. I can get behind this if there is cheap lodging and oogling.

I'd personally like to spend 3-4 days at each home base. Can we ski Bivio from St Moritz or is that pass closed in winter? Gives a bit of time to get in a rhythm, relax and tailor daily itinerary to whatever conditions merit.

I would love to ski Piz Maler if we got the opportunity.