PSA - 2019 Cream Puff (Oakridge OR) at risk of cancellation

I'm not affiliated with the event, I would just hate to see a local tradition run aground this year after lots of planning, logistics, and ridiculous amounts of trail rehab. For those not familiar, it's a 100, 50, or 25 mile race/ride centered around the Alpine trail system in Oakridge, OR on August 3.

If you're interested in coming out for the ride, register ASAP to help everyone have a chance to save this year's event! Lots of other good riding in the area ... and natural hot springs to rest your legs afterward!

https://cascadecreampuff.com for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade Cream Puff Facebook Page
    It is with heavy heart we are reaching out to any and all fans of the MTB point to point endurance style racing to please register for the Cascade Cream Puff race (25, 50, 100 mile options available) ASAP. We are way below registrations levels at this time to be able to run the race. If we do not see a significant surge in registration before July 1, we will be calling off the race this year. Either way, we are intending to rebrand and change up the format in 2020 to better adapt to the changing demographics and competition with other races that have cropped up over the years. Cascade Cream Puff is now a supporting fundraiser for the Alpine Trail Crew Association; a trail stewardship group in the Willamette National Forest specifically focused on caring for the Alpine trail system; including Tire Mountain, Cloverpatch-Tie, North Alpine and connecting trails to the west. We spent an enormous amount of time clearing the trail corridor after a 50 year catastrophic snowstorm, followed by a 100 year flood with mudslides. The result was that we've had a lot less resources for promoting the race while most of our team was out manhandling fallen trees. Now we are trying to get the regular maintenance completed (i.e. brushing and tread fixes) which normally would have been completed in the Spring, but essential for riders to have the best experience possible.

Our permits are in place, and we have already paid for advertising this year. Registration fees are still set at pre-June pricing. We think the race is a unique and fun experience, unlike any other endurance race you'll ride -plus- it's the ALPINE TRAIL SYSTEM. Please SUPPORT US - support the Middle Fork Willamette, and save the 2019 Puff.
    REGISTER TODAY, and tell your friends to register too! www.cascadecreampuff.com.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Nobody wants to pedal uphill anymore. Everyone's becoming shuttle monkeys.

That or the methheads infesting Cokeridge have driven everyone off.

So, did they get enough people? Website seems normal which is a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Nobody wants to pedal uphill anymore. Everyone's becoming shuttle monkeys.
    Definitely accurate in lots of ways. However, lots of people still like to pedal uphill, problem is even those of us who do, and even like to pedal uphill and downhill all day in the backcountry for 6-8 hours (or even longer) still like to ride 30 lb enduro rigs, because they are just fun to ride. I've thought about signing up for lots of events like this over the past few years and never did it because I didn't want to compete against a bunch of people on 22 lb XC bikes. And I'm not dropping another few grand on an XC bike for like 1-2 events a year.

And Enduro races have removed the time limits on transfer stages to get more participants, thus turning them into "self powered DH races" where everyone just walks up all the climbs.

Thanks for posting Shcralph, it is an awesome event and the trails are kick ass
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Bumping.
    I did the race twice and it’s really a fun day. These are my people.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

$179 to turn what I assume is a sweet ride into a sufferfest with lots of people. I'll pass.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

^^^ Nope, it’s a good time. Even when I DNF’d (still rode 100 miles) in +100° heat.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    So, did they get enough people? Website seems normal which is a good sign.
    By the look of the Facebook page yeah it sounds like they got enough. My shoulder is still messed up so I won’t be there this year ... maybe next year I’ll try for the Fritter (50 miles)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell