Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Keep repairing bike or replace entirely

Searched and didn’t find a thread. Help a newb? Got back into mountain biking about a year ago. At the end of last summer, I bought a DeVinci Kobain Deore, 27.5+ hard tail

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/devi...loy-deore-bike

I had it looked at by wrenches at a reputable local shop when I purchased, and they felt it was barely used. One guy asked me if it was new.

Flash forward to today and I’d estimate 250-300miles in the saddle and I’ve got a broken rear hub (Formula Boost 148- cheap and possibly difficult to service ) and what appears to be a broken air spring in the fork, which would require a factory service. The work without sourcing used / bargain parts would cost a little less than what I paid for the bike. Fortunately I have a fat bike and a vintage XC bike I can ride while this gets sorted out.

I’m 5’7’’ 185-190 lbs, getting better at having fun on the NE singletrack. Taking little hits, bunny hops etc but definitely not a rad rider. I’m fine with the performance of the bike for the type of riding I do at this stage in my progression.

I want to get back to riding a similar trail bike on a budget as I can’t justify having a really nice bike without the skills to warrant it. Here are what I feel are my options:

Source cheap as possible decent parts and make the repairs?

I can get the same bike for either $1200 new (on sale) at the reputable shop, or around $800 fairly lightly used (they’re rentals at my home ski hill for use on the easy-going XC trails- not for spinning lifts). Then I’ll have a backup with a lot of usable parts, but the same shit rear hub. storing a parts bike isn’t ideal but I can get around that. Does this make any sense?

Replace with a nicer used hardtail with better wheels / hubs and sell off parts or trade-in the DeVinci. Will I have similar issues if I keep riding hardtails, or will a nicer one with better wheels / hubs be more durable? Stick with a plus bike? 2.6’’ ? 29er?

I’ve heard / read that hardtails break down more — is that true? Should I buy a full suspension if I’m going to try and ride ‘playfully’ on local singletrack? I prefer not to go this route— I’m fine with the performance of the DeVinci, I just want a more durable ride. Eventually I’ll get a FS, but I was hopeful that would happen further down the road when I’ve gotten better and can really hone in on what I should be looking for. TIA.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 06-25-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Fix the fork and replace the hub. Those are cheap.

Any bike shop worth a damn can do both.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Why would the air spring need to be factory serviced, isn't it just a rod?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I was quoted about 2/3 of the value of the bike to make those fixes— I’ll get a second opinion from a different shop. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I was quoted about 2/3 of the value of the bike to make those fixes— I’ll get a second opinion from a different shop. Thanks
    I've replaced an air shaft in one of those forks for a coworker. If it broke the same way it's about 13 bucks for the part.

The expensive bit will be switching out the hub (if it's truly fuxed and can't be fixed). But you can buy a used wheel for cheap.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I opened this thread thinking "My bike's from 2013, maybe I'll learn something..."

Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I've replaced an air shaft in one of those forks for a coworker. If it broke the same way it's about 13 bucks for the part.

The expensive bit will be switching out the hub (if it's truly fuxed and can't be fixed). But you can buy a used wheel for cheap.
    The fork makes a clicking noise but is still functional imo. Without the sound, I’m not sure I would notice anything is wrong.

The fork makes a clicking noise but is still functional imo. Without the sound, I’m not sure I would notice anything is wrong.
    It's impossible to know what's up without taking it apart but a bike shop can do that. You might be topping out, you mike have a broken air spring shaft (the problem I fixed).........

These aren't in depth fixes though. It's crazy that they're telling you repair costs start to approach the bike. That's like disposable car shit. Look up some videos online. Taking apart forks is easy. You can at least save yourself some money by seeing what's up.

Durable and mountain bikes don't go together. Unless it is a Rigid singlespeed mtn bikes wear out quickly.

So your fork isn't broken. It just sounds annoying? Upgrade it or accept you ride a squeaky pogo stick. You don't need to buy Fox or Rock shox to get a good fork.

What is broken on your rear wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Durable and mountain bikes don't go together. Unless it is a Rigid singlespeed mtn bikes wear out quickly.

So your fork isn't broken. It just sounds annoying? Upgrade it or accept you ride a squeaky pogo stick. You don't need to buy Fox or Rock shox to get a good fork.

What is broken on your rear wheel?
    This is good to know, thanks. Hopefully the fork just needs a small repair. If not, I will deal with the noise until I find a replacement.

The rear whee has a lot of play- like 1-2 cm side to side. The wheel fell off the bike on my last ride, I put it back on and that’s when I noticed the play in the wheel/ axle. Note from the tech: ‘’I did not have any success in sourcing a replacement freehub body for it.’’

Based on my research, breaking this hub is not uncommon and it’s kind of a POS.

This is good to know, thanks. Hopefully the fork just needs a small repair. If not, I will deal with the noise until I find a replacement.

The rear whee has a lot of play- like 1-2 cm side to side. The wheel fell off the bike on my last ride, I put it back on and that’s when I noticed the play in the wheel/ axle. Note from the tech: ‘’I did not have any success in sourcing a replacement freehub body for it.’’

Based on my research, breaking this hub is not uncommon and it’s kind of a POS.
    Buy a new rear wheel. If you just buy the same bike again you'll be back here in a year with the same broken parts.

There are some cheap options out there

set
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod187196

If I'm understanding you correctly 2/3 price of new (1200) = 800 bucks to fix? It's not an 800 dollar problem.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-26-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Buy a new rear wheel. If you just buy the same bike again you'll be back here in a year with the same broken parts.

There are some cheap options out there

single
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod174973

set
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod187196

If I'm understanding you correctly 2/3 price of new (1200) = 800 bucks to fix? It's not an 800 dollar problem.
    ^^^this.

And get another shop to quote you on the fork repair!

I don't know that hub, but have broken/seen a few broken formula hubs. New wheel likely be easiest answer, kidwoo's first link won't work though, you need 12x148 rear hub.

Fork rebuild/fix shouldn't be that high unless its something insane and whole fork needs to be replaced.

oops

thanks!

Keep the bike. You'll likely find that next, or the year after that, you'll want something different anyway.

Get a new wheel. Just make sure it has the correct spacing, the regular Shimano freehub cassette body (not Shimano micro or Sram XD), and rotor mount (6 bolt vs spline). Non-boutique brands will be better for your application, and less expensive.

As for the fork, I'd just ride it until there's a lull in the weather, or it stops working completely.
    Last edited by Ted Striker; 06-27-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo

To the OP: most bike issues are repaired by basically taking that part apart and seeing what doesn’t look right. Flattened bearings, scratches or scores on sliding parts, worn sections that cause spacing that shouldn’t be there, etc. Most can be taken apart with tools you already have and allen wrenches. As you get into it, buy the tool you don’t have and add it to your kit. Pretty soon you’ll rarely take the bike into a shop, and instead do small maintenance instead of big repairs because you’ll know how the bike should feel or look before that’s needed. It’s kinda satisfying.
    Try this with your fork.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Buy a new rear wheel.

Tech said the fork should be sent to Rockshox for factory maintenance (appx $175+shipping) and the wheel replacement at full retail runs $350-$500. I figure the bike is worth around $750 as is. I do not think the fork needs a $175 service, and I’ll see what I find when it gets taken apart.

Great suggestions everyone, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post

Get a new wheel. Just make sure it has the correct spacing, the regular Shimano freehub cassette body (not Shimano micro or Sram SD), and rotor mount (6 bolt vs spline)
    Typo correction to help the OP: it's SRAM XD, not SD.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks. My fingers are faster than my brain.

Tech said the fork should be sent to Rockshox for factory maintenance (appx $175+shipping) and the wheel replacement at full retail runs $350-$500. I figure the bike is worth around $750 as is. I do not think the fork needs a $175 service, and I’ll see what I find when it gets taken apart.

Great suggestions everyone, thanks.
    Unless they're changing something in the damper, everything they could possibly do to a fork is pretty damn simple. Like you or I can do it in our garages. Look online for a wheel. Lots of cheap options including but not limited to that chain reaction link I put up earlier. Go to a shop and tell them to look for one in the QBP (a wholesaler) catalog too. Remember, you don't want another one of the wheel that came on the bike, it broke.

You said the air spring needs to be fixed. What's that based on? Do you know for a fact it's the air spring or some shop guy just pressed on the fork and said "air spring?"

Unless they're changing something in the damper, everything they could possibly do to a fork is pretty damn simple. Like you or I can do it in our garages. Look online for a wheel. Lots of cheap options including but not limited to that chain reaction link I put up earlier. Go to a shop and tell them to look for one in the QBP (a wholesaler) catalog too. Remember, you don't want another one of the wheel that came on the bike, it broke.

You said the air spring needs to be fixed. What's that based on? Do you know for a fact it's the air spring or some shop guy just pressed on the fork and said "air spring?"
    I do not know for a fact it’s the air spring. I think shop guy pressed on fork and said air spring.

thanks again

If you don't want to fix the fork yourself, find a different shop that rebuilds suspension in house. Sounds like this shop's stock answer is "something's wrong with it, gotta send it to RockShox."

Find a different shop. They sound shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Find a different shop. They sound shitty.
    Concur.

Here’s a pic of the inside of a fork I took apart not long ago. Guess which part is bad:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9309.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	286937
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda