Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You could totally canoe the Blackfoot river proper, at least from mineral hill. Some truly unspoiled country in that area, good camping spots near ovando and Clearwater junction, and if you were ambitious you could make your way to missoula

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Canoeable river systems in MT/ID?

^^^ Big Blackfoot is excellent advice. I lived in Seeley Lake for several years and know it well.

Also the OP's Dad might enjoy the connection to A River Runs Through It.

Also the Lewis & Clark connection: on the return home they split up and Lewis returned via the Blackfoot, while Clark took a southern route and returned via the Yellowstone.

Good suggestion s_jenks !
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I dont know where this spot is in relation to good canoeing but I would find it mostly cuz I love this song. The song tells the story from the crew chiefs perspective of I believe the first deaths by forest firefighters. .

Great song, and actually canoeing through Gates of the Mountains and camping at the Meriwether campground would not be a bad option. Layover day hike to Mann Gulch--one of the coolest hikes around Helena. Remote and awesome country in the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness. There will be other boats on the river but it is classic Lewis and Clark country.

This thread is making me seriously think about buying a canoe.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^^ Big Blackfoot is excellent advice. I lived in Seeley Lake for several years and know it well.

Also the OP's Dad might enjoy the connection to A River Runs Through It.

Also the Lewis & Clark connection: on the return home they split up and Lewis returned via the Blackfoot, while Clark took a southern route and returned via the Yellowstone.

Good suggestion s_jenks !
    Thanks! You got the SW part of the state covered pretty well.

I would definitely say that your lower flathead river suggestion would be cool too. Since the OP wants to take their time they could canoe to Quinn's hot spring, as they have campsites, cabins and a place to soak. The lower Clark Fork stretch that it dumps into near the state line has some great fishing too.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Great stuff in here. Drove past Quinns the other day. Looks like a super chill place.

The hard part won't be finding a place to paddle, but will be getting my dad to actually go on a trip!

Wife and I have had a Wenonah Aurora for 15 years and covered many a river mile in it...love the grace and quiet beauty of a canoe.

North Fork of Flathead from Polebridge to Big Creek is a favorite
    Name:  558638_10151133774747348_1570662845_n.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  164.8 KB

Dearborn from 287 Bridge to Missouri is great
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	964023_10151608218162348_1078458621_o.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	286844

Main Salmon from Carmen to N. Fork in ID
    Name:  307827_10150301385347348_6376494_n.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  83.4 KB
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Because this thread has such great info and things can get lost in the PR I cross posted it in the Outdoors forum:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...20#post5700820
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

September. Tarkio to Quinn's or Paradise. One skinny section , 1 ,3ish rapid near Quinn's. Motor over Hoodoo Pass to Kelly creek. On to Lewis and Clark trail, Finish at Travelers Rest near Lolo. Chief Joseph and the flight of the Nez Perce is the required reading.