Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    No trust fund here but my no job is my passion.

Did I say that out loud?
    and he did it in jeans.

Straight out of college, I got a job in the industry. Snowboard gear company in Boulder. 12 person operation. I got a lot of experience in how not to run a business. I luckily realized, very quickly, that the outdoor industry was not for me. No one I met seemed very happy. 25 years later, I do not regret not furthering that pursuit. My job, at least some parts of it, is not my passion, but it stays interesting. It gives me a lot of freedoms, and I can make it as tough or as easy as I want. I opt for making it very difficult sometimes, which keeps it interesting. Maybe that is the key, a job with some kind of freedom and autonomy.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I hope most have many “passions” and possibly several “jobs,” in broad definitions of the terms. Money is not everything.

In the world of paid work, following a path of service seems to work well for many. It also seems to require the ability to keep sight of the long view of the service they provide in job.
    I hope you're right that it is working for many. For most of my career I wasn't very good at deriving satisfaction from the service my work provided. But these days that makes some of the most esoteric technonsense into meaningful challenges. The perspective changes everything.

I'd like to say I got there without a near death experience or anything, but even starting to see it this way probably required some undesired time off. Absence has its upsides. Another reason not to make a hobby into a job, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    bragging about your job being your passion is pure elite signalling.

there are a vanishingly, vanishingly few who can make it work. not the 1%. More like the .00001%.
    Go ahead and pencil me into that .00001%.

Most people don't have the gumption to be an entrepreneur or they have people like yourself telling them its impossible.

Become a Lion Dunfee...

Last edited by Bobby Stainless; 06-25-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

What if your job is growing passion fruit?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    What if your job is growing passion fruit?
    Teeheehee

It's important to have a job that makes a difference, boys. That's why I manually masturbate caged animals for artificial insemination.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    It's important to have a job that makes a difference, boys. That's why I manually masturbate caged animals for artificial insemination.
    Another mag living their passion. Awesome.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

For most of the 33 years my job was my passion.

Then I retired to do other things that pay better, involve less physical labor and allow me to continue to ski a lot.

There was no plan, it just happened.

his jobs his passion but he can't wait till he can quit and move into the big mansion in Carbondale. pure sleazy salesman motivational speaking gold.

28 year old author who is concerned her job is not her passion?

See, "Why do Baby Boomers Suck" thread for discussion on millennials.

his jobs his passion but he can't wait till he can quit and move into the big mansion in Carbondale. pure sleazy salesman motivational speaking gold.
    What do you do again? I'm 38 and self employed. Also I work all over the US. My phone is my office. I've got a 918, Carrera GT, Speedster, 935 and half a LMP3 race team for sale. Everything is scattered about the US.

I moving to Carbondale when my kids are old enough to go to CRMS. The elementary and middle schools there dont compare to the ones here. You married? Kids? Single and still a loser?

Started my day with a 10 mile hike. Like every day. Waiting on some checks to arrive for a Aventador SV Roadster and a Ford GT. Run my kids around to various camps. Take my wife to lunch. That's what I've got to do today. Might sell a 918 idk.

I also dont like big homes. Too much to clean. I'll probably buy something around a million bucks in Carbondale. Which is a fairly normal house imo. Maybe you're just broke as fuck.

I troll middleaged dipshits on the internet to build up a book of potential leads for my lab-grown black rhino horn hangover/sexual potency pill startup - might branch out into tribble ranching for a toupe farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    What do you do again? I'm 38 and self employed. Also I work all over the US. My phone is my office. I've got a 918, Carrera GT, Speedster, 935 and half a LMP3 race team for sale. Everything is scattered about the US.

I moving to Carbondale when my kids are old enough to go to CRMS. The elementary and middle schools there dont compare to the ones here. You married? Kids? Single and still a loser?
    You also have benefitted from your previous generations' wealth.

I troll middleaged dipshits on the internet to build up a book of potential leads for my lab-grown black rhino horn hangover/sexual potency pill startup - might branch out into tribble ranching for a toupe farm.
    Btw. I bill through Ferrari of Denver. Sooooo.

In kinda work out of CO already.

Keeping hating bro. Makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You also have benefitted from your previous generations' wealth.
    Yeah that was awesome. Making 53k a year managing apartment complexes. Good times.

Its fun having a Dad that pays you at the bottom of the market to make a point.

Its a wonder why I left that cake walk to clear that in a month flipping exotics.

Eh, it's more about finding joy in what you do, which will be different over time.
    I've done a bunch of things in one big company, been laid off a few times but still have a ton of fun every day doing random stuff.
    Fall in love with problems and you'll never be bored or passionless.

Towards the end of a job people would always ask me if I liked fixing HW and why, I would look at my watch and say " I'm leaving in 10 minutes , you gotta stay "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Btw. I bill through Ferrari of Denver. Sooooo.

In kinda work out of CO already.

Keeping hating bro. Makes you look good.

Yeah that was awesome. Making 53k a year managing apartment complexes. Good times.

Its fun having a Dad that pays you at the bottom of the market to make a point.

Its a wonder why I left that cake walk to clear that in a month flipping exotics.
    You know damn well that's not what I am talking about. I m absolutely happy that you are doing well. You didn't do it on your own. No shame in that.

Everyone's life is better than yours

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The world needs ditch diggers too
    And I'm passionate that ditches flow...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

That was a surprisingly great book.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Straight out of college, I got a job in the industry. Snowboard gear company in Boulder. 12 person operation. I got a lot of experience in how not to run a business. I luckily realized, very quickly, that the outdoor industry was not for me. No one I met seemed very happy. 25 years later, I do not regret not furthering that pursuit. My job, at least some parts of it, is not my passion, but it stays interesting. It gives me a lot of freedoms, and I can make it as tough or as easy as I want. I opt for making it very difficult sometimes, which keeps it interesting. Maybe that is the key, a job with some kind of freedom and autonomy.
    The worst people that I've encountered in my professional life were all in the outdoor industry. So happy to be out of that scene.

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 09:07 AM.