Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    I need internal validation (or justification). If something's not "important" enough, I get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I need internal validation (or justification). If something's not "important" enough, I get bored.
    +++++

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    As far as education, I told both of my kids: you can be a fashion designer or mow lawns or whatever else it is you want to do, but you'll do it with a degree. To me, an education makes you better at critical thinking. And life's just more interesting when you know more about the world. If you end up loving business and get an MBA and make a bunch of money, great, but that's pretty meaningless to me. I know some miserable rich people.
    Valid point re education and critical thinking except having a degree doesn't always teach critical thinking. I get dozens of resumes/applicants a winter, most with degrees and there isn't a critical thinker among them. It's a retail job so really you just have to talk to people, make sure the store is clean, fill out a workorder or two and basically be present.
    Give me a farm kid or someone with passion and you can keep most of the degree holders I see.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?

fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Virtue signalling.
    I'm not sure you understand what that term means. But if you want to get on the bash millenial band wagon, there's a thread for that. My point was that its not all doom and gloom.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    There are lots of people who wish they had more money (sure, duh) but there are only a few who wish they made more money.

Subtle but very true in my experience. Thatís all I can add to this discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I mean my N is only about 1200 people, and another 500 or so who participate in providing dictated narratives of their lives, but your example of people wishing they had more money doesnít come up either. Definitely in other parts of the lifespanóbut at the end and looking back? Not in my sample.

I think you are all overthinking this work thing. If nobody worked, and did bloody nothing all day long, then we'd eventually starve and die. So we work and do shit so we don't die.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

but if you got enough money then you can do whatever you want,

smoke a J or maybe go bowling

maybe if its a league game you won't get bored

busy week so far, fixing dry suits and drivivng groceries into camp the middle-of-nowhere,
    having tomorrows breakfast commands a lot of power and respect on the radio controled road
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    but if you got enough money then you can do whatever you want,

smoke a J or maybe go bowling

maybe if its a league game you won't get bored
    Sure. But forget about the money part. Everyone gets hung up on that. Money is just a construct to value your inputs and outputs. You could barter your services and never use money.

Once you take care of the basic eating part, then it all becomes personal choices. Do I want to bowl one game or bowl two games...or go bowling all day long.

you smoke bowls too, one or two ...or smoke bowls all day

Every so often I notice that it's important for my job performance that I care at least a little but definitely not too much. Just today I was reminded that I can't really reach peak insufferability unless I'm truly passionate.

Interaction with the cool industries indicates I may not be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you smoke bowls too, one or two ...or smoke bowls all day
    Unless your league wants you to bowl a game or two. In which case, you need to make a choice.

Yeah, 5 pin or 10 pin eh ?

No-tap bowling.

The ultimate drinker's game.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I'm not sure you understand what that term means. But if you want to get on the bash millenial band wagon, there's a thread for that. My point was that its not all doom and gloom.
    I know exactly what it means; I'm having fun on it because the fartsy old folks love to dole it out when the youngins clamor on about some social-justice aspect. From where I sit, when you go on and on tooting about something like - "look at the foresight in my major choice and school I chose and whatnot" you are doing the same thing. In this case, it's making sure we are damn well aware of your (relatives) industrious virtue. Positioning it as representing their 'goodness'. Same shit. Bobby S does it all the time. We used to call it "being insufferable and not shutting up about how fucking great you are".

Agree on "it's not all doom and gloom".

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Bobby S does it all the time. .
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

It’s even worse when passion is used as a hackneyed marketing cliche.

Examples:

“We’re passionate about manufacturing truly authentic designs of traditional sash windows.”

“As one of the largest and most successful personal injury firms in Massachusetts, our passion is civil trial practice ...”

“At BelowDry LLC, our passion is helping homeowners who have wet basement problems.”
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

^^^ I couldnít agree more. I went through this looking for a new job. I was always supposed to be passionate about XYZ product. I always wanted to say that ďNo, Iím not passionate about this position, itís a job, and I like money.Ē
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Valid point re education and critical thinking except having a degree doesn't always teach critical thinking. I get dozens of resumes/applicants a winter, most with degrees and there isn't a critical thinker among them. It's a retail job so really you just have to talk to people, make sure the store is clean, fill out a workorder or two and basically be present.
    Give me a farm kid or someone with passion and you can keep most of the degree holders I see.
    I agree that a degree doesn't always correlate with critical thinking skills- but it sure can hone 'em if you got 'em. There are multiple people at my job with lots or letters after their name and I wouldn't trust them to put together a night stand with Ikea instructions.

For me, it seems every day something comes up that my education gives me a better understanding of. I'm sure many times I don't even notice.

I say that farm kid or passionate (can we substitute "motivated" here?) person with a degree is your best candidate.

excuse this intrusion but this seems to be a popular spot with lots of critical thinkers....

if you drop a cooked meat samich on the floor , pick it up and wash it off, then nuke it, is that now a boiled meat samich? just checkin , jus happened....
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

Last year for 'Threads for Shreds' jacket trade in program!
    www.freeridesystems.com
    20% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT20'

i think it's just a hot dirty-floor sammich now

^thank you, i ate it already so it may be a moot point now
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

Last year for 'Threads for Shreds' jacket trade in program!
    www.freeridesystems.com
    20% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT20'

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post

"Hi. I'm a farm kid with a college degree and a genuine passion for retail. All my life I've been waiting to sell athletic shoes! $10/hr? OMG that's too much!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    excuse this intrusion but this seems to be a popular spot with lots of critical thinkers....

if you drop a cooked meat samich on the floor , pick it up and wash it off, then nuke it, is that now a boiled meat samich? just checkin , jus happened....
    9/10 digital deaths approve. If you boiled it first, you would have the pinnacle of a twice boiled meat sammie.