Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    you smoke bowls too, one or two ...or smoke bowls all day
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Every so often I notice that it's important for my job performance that I care at least a little but definitely not too much. Just today I was reminded that I can't really reach peak insufferability unless I'm truly passionate.

Interaction with the cool industries indicates I may not be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you smoke bowls too, one or two ...or smoke bowls all day
    Unless your league wants you to bowl a game or two. In which case, you need to make a choice.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Yeah, 5 pin or 10 pin eh ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

No-tap bowling.

The ultimate drinker's game.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I'm not sure you understand what that term means. But if you want to get on the bash millenial band wagon, there's a thread for that. My point was that its not all doom and gloom.
    I know exactly what it means; I'm having fun on it because the fartsy old folks love to dole it out when the youngins clamor on about some social-justice aspect. From where I sit, when you go on and on tooting about something like - "look at the foresight in my major choice and school I chose and whatnot" you are doing the same thing. In this case, it's making sure we are damn well aware of your (relatives) industrious virtue. Positioning it as representing their 'goodness'. Same shit. Bobby S does it all the time. We used to call it "being insufferable and not shutting up about how fucking great you are".

Agree on "it's not all doom and gloom".

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Bobby S does it all the time. .
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

It’s even worse when passion is used as a hackneyed marketing cliche.

Examples:

“We’re passionate about manufacturing truly authentic designs of traditional sash windows.”

“As one of the largest and most successful personal injury firms in Massachusetts, our passion is civil trial practice ...”

“At BelowDry LLC, our passion is helping homeowners who have wet basement problems.”
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

^^^ I couldn’t agree more. I went through this looking for a new job. I was always supposed to be passionate about XYZ product. I always wanted to say that “No, I’m not passionate about this position, it’s a job, and I like money.”
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Valid point re education and critical thinking except having a degree doesn't always teach critical thinking. I get dozens of resumes/applicants a winter, most with degrees and there isn't a critical thinker among them. It's a retail job so really you just have to talk to people, make sure the store is clean, fill out a workorder or two and basically be present.
    Give me a farm kid or someone with passion and you can keep most of the degree holders I see.
    I agree that a degree doesn't always correlate with critical thinking skills- but it sure can hone 'em if you got 'em. There are multiple people at my job with lots or letters after their name and I wouldn't trust them to put together a night stand with Ikea instructions.

For me, it seems every day something comes up that my education gives me a better understanding of. I'm sure many times I don't even notice.

I say that farm kid or passionate (can we substitute "motivated" here?) person with a degree is your best candidate.

excuse this intrusion but this seems to be a popular spot with lots of critical thinkers....

if you drop a cooked meat samich on the floor , pick it up and wash it off, then nuke it, is that now a boiled meat samich? just checkin , jus happened....
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

i think it's just a hot dirty-floor sammich now

^thank you, i ate it already so it may be a moot point now
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Valid point re education and critical thinking except having a degree doesn't always teach critical thinking. I get dozens of resumes/applicants a winter, most with degrees and there isn't a critical thinker among them. It's a retail job so really you just have to talk to people, make sure the store is clean, fill out a workorder or two and basically be present.
    Give me a farm kid or someone with passion and you can keep most of the degree holders I see.

"Hi. I'm a farm kid with a college degree and a genuine passion for retail. All my life I've been waiting to sell athletic shoes! $10/hr? OMG that's too much!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    excuse this intrusion but this seems to be a popular spot with lots of critical thinkers....

if you drop a cooked meat samich on the floor , pick it up and wash it off, then nuke it, is that now a boiled meat samich? just checkin , jus happened....
    9/10 digital deaths approve. If you boiled it first, you would have the pinnacle of a twice boiled meat sammie.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I'm not sure you understand what that term means.
    He clearly doesn't. He must have skipped class the day they explained it at alt right school.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    9/10 digital deaths approve. If you boiled it first, you would have the pinnacle of a twice boiled meat sammie.
    the first cooking was of unknown origin so it might have very well been boiled first...... I can only hope i had twice boiled, but i will never know...i guess in the end, as long as i was satisfied i won't know any better....

dd approved (tm)
    www.freeridesystems.com

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Fritz; 06-28-2019 at 09:16 AM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    at what point do passions become addictions
    and effect yur jobs?
    be they passionate ones or just wage slaving shit i dont mind doing cause its a skills to pay the bills things

asking for sum friends with white room whippy stick issues

speaking from experiance 8 hours in a boat with someone youd rather not spend minutes on is gonna harsh the passion mellow
    but what do i know i gots decades of nail pounding trades on the bod and can still walk
    uphill no less
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    at what point do passions become addictions
    and effect yur jobs?
    Usually, and with any luck, in early November every year.

I have spates where I'm passionate about my work (not the job), but mostly I've remained a ski bum with a science addiction.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I believe it comes down to purpose rather than passion.

I think of purpose as a combination of finding the work interesting, feeling like you made a difference, and of course the compensation. Individual people need different percentages of these items to find purpose.

The purpose must outweigh the effort and bullshit for me to be happy.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Fall in love with problems and you'll never be bored or passionless.
    I like this, and it applies to everything I do at work. It's all little and big problems constantly. No problems to solve means mindless work, that would suck. I would 100% do my work if I was rich and didn't need to work, and sometimes I do my work for free. it's fun, it lets me travel, and after a long time of just getting by, it's paying decent...for now. That can change. The people I work with really fucking care about the work, and are (mostly) super talented. To say they are passionate is an understatement. The cream rises quickly and average people get shut out quick at work. it can be brutal for some, but working with people who give a shit is awesome. People that 'mail it in' are not seen again by me, there's no need for them when there too many hard workers out there. I'm not gloating, or trying to, this thread just made me reflect on how bad my job could be I guess , and I don't know why or how I figured this will be my career by age of 16-17. I have zero advice on how to figure this all out yourself at a young age.

And if I had a shitty boss or an incompetent manager above me, all I just said would not be true at all, my job would suck just like most jobs. Or if I slightly went into a different direction in the same field, it could be tedious and boring. If you are not thinking ahead and managing your career, I think you can get really stuck and unhappy. I wish I had a mentor 20 years ago to avoid a lot of career shit that was unnecessary, I have to think everyone could benefit with a mentor, too. There was so much about my industry I didn't know existed until recently. Once I got into'd to that world, everything fucking changed. A career is a game to be figured out before you have kids, a mortgage, and all that bullshit that narrows your choices down to just being conservative so you can provide provide provide. A successful kid making 6 figures and working 35 hours is on the right path, just as skifishbum has a good life too.

And cheers to all the trophy husbands, that's really impressive too.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I believe it comes down to purpose rather than passion.

I think of purpose as a combination of finding the work interesting, feeling like you made a difference, and of course the compensation. Individual people need different percentages of these items to find purpose.

The purpose must outweigh the effort and bullshit for me to be happy.

^^This. I tried the whole chase your passion thing. I worked as a climbing guide for 3 years, and it killed my passion. Went back to school and I'm a paper pusher now but the work is a lot more interesting mostly because it's challenging and demanding. Making more $ doesn't hurt either.

Personally, I also find I get out a lot more when my time is limited. If I only have 2-3 days a week to ski, I'm going to ski those days. YMMV.
    It sucks to suck.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

Or the one.
    watch out for snakes