Summer trekking pants that rock but don't shred?

Have a NH presidential traverse on the summer schedule now, and it's time to replace my Kuhl renegade pants. I really liked the weight, the cut and the pockets on these (had the convertible ones)... but the White Mountain brand of granite and igneous stuff aerated some of the panels into swiss cheese.

Any favorites that can take a beating but still be worn in August (pants this time... I never zipped off so going to skip the convertibles). Looking at the BD modernist rock pants RN. Wanted to do the Stio pinedales but I didn't jump on the sizes early enough. TY...

I've been quite happy with Patagonia RPS Rock Pants.

Not your question, as I think there are many suitable pants, but for a Prezi Traverse running shorts, fast & light is the way to go.

I did several years back in a long sleeve Cap2 baselayer top, running shoes, running shorts. I put an R1 hoody on for about 45 minutes and a windshell on for about 30 all day. It was cold, windy, rainy at times but constant movement goes a long way.

The EB First Ascent guide pants have held up well for me. Lifetime warranty too.

find pants you like, take them to a tailor and have reinforcement patches sewn on at the cuffs and insteps.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    I've been quite happy with Patagonia RPS Rock Pants.
    I second this.

My kid did Presidential traverse in pRana Moab pants. My other kid does Yosemite walls in them. I go to restaurants in them (and hike). They are light but very tough, and water repellent. Also stretchy, very comfortable. pRana makes a heavier version, not sure what the model name is. Warning: owned by Columbia, if you think Columbia is for gapers.

Edit--I meant stretch Zion. Zion, Moab, it's all just a bunch of sandstone either way. I discovered an added benefit today. I was pulling weeds on my knees today--could not get them dirty. They seem to repel dirt as well as water. The vents for your balls are nice too. I hiked all day every day for a couple of weeks in one pair on the Tour du Mont Blanc, no sign of cuff wear. I wouldn't sew panels on them. They're decent looking enough to wear around town--I wouldn't mess that up.
    Last edited by old goat; 06-27-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Patagonia RPS or Prana Stretch Zion

I like the Prana Stretch Zion

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I like the Prana Stretch Zion
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    find pants you like, take them to a tailor and have reinforcement patches sewn on at the cuffs and insteps.
    I’ve done this.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Hey all, thanks for the solid suggestions. I did just check out the RPS pants... They feel a little more fragile to the touch than my Kuhls were. Who knows how it would play out on the hill, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to Patagonia, although I wish the leg cuff seams were a little more reinforced. I can find Zions for cheap (and those EMS pants are a deal) and then add the panels as mentioned, if they're even needed... I might even get a pair off fleabay and go Dr. frankenstein on them. I have time.

I spend a lot of time in the Prezis and I know how muggy it gets, but I almost never go up in shorts... just a thing I guess. I used to race crits so my legs were always hairless, scabbed over and probably bleeding. Don't want to attract those White Mountain grizzlies.

Just made an impulse buy too... stoked. (Don't tell my LL Bean Cresta's that I cheated on them). Name:  GARBK.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  60.3 KB

RPS are surprisingly durable, especially considering how lightweight they are. I have a pair that after 4 years is still going strong with only a tiny hole on the side pocket made by my phone. The DWR layer however vanishes quite fast.